RamWraith is offline Registered User

Imagine if Vitt wasn't Rams' interim coach

By Jim Brighters, NFL Analyst

(Sports Network) - Joe Vitt was named the interim head coach of the St. Louis Rams earlier in the year, when Mike Martz was forced to step down due to heart problems.

Vitt has taken the task seriously, to say the least. The team has played hard, but eventually, everyone snaps. Vitt broke on Monday at his press conference after an ugly loss to the Philadelphia Eagles at home.

"Usually by this time of the day after a tough loss you kind of reflect and you calm down and you've had time to reflect," Vitt said. "Well, I'll tell you, I'm still [ticked]. I'm [ticked]. It's not right what took place yesterday on that football field."

Where to start? How about the quarterback. Ryan Fitzpatrick, the Harvard product who led the squad to victory against Houston almost a month ago, was flat-out bad. He was 10-of-14 for 69 yards with one touchdown pass and one interception. Out goes Fitzpatrick and in comes Jamie Martin, who was 8-of-11 for 58 yards. When asked why he pulled Fitzpatrick, Vitt seemed to have forgotten nothing.

"The throws and mechanics, decision-making, the one seam route that he threw to Brandon [Manumaleuna] for the interception, it was late, it's a play-action to try to hold the middle linebacker, the play-action wasn't there," Vitt said. "I thought that Jamie gave us our best chance to win."

At least his footwork was okay.

Martin could not get it done and now there's a quarterback controversy. Not one brought about by two solid performances, but a battle brought about because someone has to play the position.

The defense continued to give up big plays. Rookie Ryan Moats darted down the sideline for a 59-yard touchdown run in the first quarter. The special teams allowed 180 yards in returns.

But Vitt's venom was spewed most at one set of players. Although they've been hampered by injuries, the offensive line got sent home with a note on Monday after Vitt's press conference.

"I'm not happy with the way our offensive line is practicing; I'm not happy with the way they are playing," Vitt said, almost with steam coming out of his ears. "I think we're blocking high, we're soft, we're not coming off the ball, and that's going to change this week in practice. It's been addressed, but it just hasn't gotten done, so it'll be addressed again. The offensive line is the heart and soul of your football team. It protects your quarterback, it gets the running game going. It is totally unacceptable, totally unacceptable."

Maybe Vitt has a point. The team committed a season-high 15 penalties, including a jaw-dropping eight false starts. There were holding penalties, a chop-block call, and although the rushing game was solid (Steven Jackson and Marshall Faulk both posted over 80 yards), the offensive line absolutely killed the Rams on Sunday.

The false-start penalties are most troubling. The Edward Jones Dome was not exactly rocking on Sunday afternoon, so either they don't know the snap count, or don't care.

"If it's on two, you go on two. If it's on one, you go on one," said Vitt, simplifying the offensive line position as we know it. "If it's a quick count, be ready to go. If it's a hard count, hold your water. That's high school football. That's high school football."

Someone tell the pep band they're on at halftime.

WHERE'S FAULK?

FOX's announce crew continued to wonder where Marshall Faulk was late in the fourth quarter. He essentially carried the Rams on the ground in the second half, but was watching as the game concluded. Arlen Harris was out there as Jackson saw limited action with a stomach problem.

So, where was Marshall Faulk?

"Marshall Faulk participated in 43 snaps," Vitt said. "It's the most snaps he's had in two years. On the short yardage run he got dinged a little bit, still went back in and played. He was half gassed, he was getting as much water as he could."

Faulk carried the ball 16 times for 87 yards on Sunday. He caught three passes for 21 yards, but wasn't out there when it mattered the most.

WHO'S YOUR QB?

Vitt was non-committal about that question.

""We'll see," Vitt said. "[We will] talk about that tomorrow when we get in our personnel meetings."

Fitzpatrick has struggled since his gigantic breakthrough against the Texans. He threw five picks last week against the Minnesota Vikings and truthfully did nothing to warrant keeping the job against the Birds.

UP NEXT

The Rams have a strong chance at victory this week as they host the 2-12 San Francisco *****. The ***** are dreadful, but are in the hunt for the No. 1 pick in the draft and the shot at USC's Reggie Bush.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Imagine if Vitt wasn't Rams' interim coach

"The throws and mechanics, decision-making, the one seam route that he threw to Brandon [Manumaleuna] for the interception, it was late, it's a play-action to try to hold the middle linebacker, the play-action wasn't there," Vitt said. "I thought that Jamie gave us our best chance to win."
    Joe, this really shouldn't be a surprise. Please, tell me you didn't buy into all the hype after the Texans game. He's a rookie. He's going to make mistakes, that's what rookies do.
    The team committed a season-high 15 penalties, including a jaw-dropping eight false starts.
    Jaw-dropping to say the least. They're playing at home in the downtown branch of the St. Louis municipal library, and they jump 8 times. That's nothing short of ridiculous.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

bruce_wannabe Guest

its a shame to see our team in shambles like this

adarian_too is offline Registered User

All Witless has proven with his inexecusable game-calling is why he wasn't a head coach sooner.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Really not sure about the wisdom of calling out the players in public in that fashion. In the meeting room fine, but not like that.

There are various ways to show your disappointment to the media and fans and I'm not sure that's the best one.