Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Impact on the Rams if the owners opt out of the collective bargaining agreement

The owners are expected to opt out of the CBA this week. That means that 2009 will be the last year of the cap and 2010 will be an uncapped season. Players would not be eligible for unrestricted free agency until after 6, rather than four seasons. The issue is revenue splits. The players currently get 60% of the revenues, the owners think that number is too high.

What impact would a no cap environment have on the Rams? Personally, i think it would be terrible for us, unless Kroenke happens to own the team at that time. I see no historical evidence to suggest that Chip Rosenbloom is going to pony up whatever money it takes for the Rams to be competitive. The Rams will plead poverty and use it as an excuse when they dont win.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

majorram is offline Registered User

Re: Impact on the Rams if the owners opt out of the collective bargaining agreement

Wow having NO cap for 2010 sounds scary!! I bet Dallas and the Skins would love it though!!!

Can anything be done about this issue for 2010????? really don't know how the system works????

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Impact on the Rams if the owners opt out of the collective bargaining agreement

I don't like the idea of no cap. It will make us look terrible.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I think having no cap would hurt the Rams a bit, but in general I hate the way the NFL is currently set up. When your team has a top draft pick, you can't even be that excited about it because the player's salary hurts your team about as much as his skill helps it.

All your top players command huge salaries, so having a young team with a lot of potential really just means that in a few years when these players progress they'll leave since you can't afford them anyway.

At least with no cap you can be legitimately excited when your team strikes gold with a draft pick or a player has a breakout year.

Also, extending the time until a player can become an UFA from 4 to 6 years is a good step IMO, for basically the same reasons as above. Just my opinion, but I think salary caps make the game far less exciting.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

If the cap goes, so does all disparity within the NFL. This could be the worst thing to happen to the NFL. Small market teams will get hosed. It will be just like MLB, what is the point of watching it, the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc. always end up the playoffs and little teams get dominated year in and year out because they can't afford to keep their good players.

"Whose playing in the Super Bowl? Oh the Cowboys and Jets again? What else is on?"

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Oh I'm sure we won't pay out to the players that it would take to be competitive. However, I don't think it'll get that far.

One, no one wants to get rid of the salary cap, because there will be the big market teams that will be the Yankees of football, and then you'll see the Bills and other small markets just not even try and give minimum contracts to whoever will take them. Second, the players have a poison pill in that they don't get UFA until they put in 6 years. I'd be willing to bet most players don't even reach 6 years in the league. That means that as long as a team tenders them an offer, no matter how small, they're stuck unless they can get another team to pony up for them.

Football is special because any team in any given year has a legitimate chance(ok, not the Cards or the Raiders) to win a championship. Can you really say that about Baseball, or even basketball? This will all die if the two parties can't settle on something before the uncapped year, because as it's been said before, once the cap is gone, it won't be coming back.

What do I expect to happen? I think that the owners will give up trying to get money back, at leats to the extent that they want. If they're lucky they'll get 1% back. I doubt it however, because that will easily look like a failure of the players association. What I think will happen will be that the income counted for the share the players get will be different. Owners will get to keep some revenue that they currently give to the players, like naming rights or something, I don't know. That'll mean that the union didn't give up any money(kinda), but the owners don't give away as much. Further, I expect the union to agree to slot rookie salaries, which is what they'll give up to keep the 60% share.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If opting out could pave the way toward a sensible salary cap for rookie players, that would be a step forward IMO. Guys who have never played a down in the NFL get ridiculous money period. Both players and owners need each other so I would expect something to get worked out. A strike won't enrich either side. It would seem there is enough money to go around for everyone, particularly if a more reasonable amount could be assigned to incoming rookie players, allowing more money to be allocated to veteran players who have proven themselves ..

Rambos is offline Registered User

IMO it won't come to no cap. No team owner wants to face that.

itsguud is offline Registered User

This is about the dumbest thing the NFL could do right now. Unless they are trying to trim the league and have less teams. Cause thats what will most likely happen if they do this. There is no way that the poorer teams can compete with the $$ teams. Its the reason most other sports are taking the NFL's lead and adapting the salary cap.

I do think that the current system is poorly set up in the NFL though. Players have entirely too much leverage when signing contracts. Rookie's/ draft picks are able to sign for WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much money, before they even take a single snap. The NFL needs to rework the current salary cap into smarter system instead of dropping it, just to re-install it in a few years.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This is not a good move, IMO. It's a move to become more like Baseball- or the dynasties of the 80's and 90's. Where the team with the most money wins. The age of parity will end. I'll bet.

Does this mean that 2010 will be the ONLY uncapped season? will the cap be reinstated in 2011?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Any reinstatement of the cap after 2010 would be a function of a revised collective bargaining agreement. The players fear the owners are going to lock them out after one uncapped season. IMO, this is NOT a fight the players can win.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I put this out about two months ago in the NFL area and not much response but it seems that this topic is in the news more and is starting to gain momentum. Looking at this from a Rams standpoint, it would mean St. Louis hurts them to be competitive. The Dome as it is right now is not suited for a no cap NFL. It just doesn't generate enough revenue. It would hurt the Rams in the open market for top notch free agents.

I don't think the NFL will be played in 2011. Just my gut feeling.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

For those curious, this is how it will play out unless there's a new collective bargaining agreement.

First, the '08 and '09 seasons will go on as planned. Following the 2009 season, the cap will no longer be in effect. Furthermore, to be eligible for unrestricted free agency, a player must have 6 years experience, meaning they must have been drafted in the 2004 draft or earlier. As for contracts, this issue is very sticky, because once the owners drop out of the agreement, then there are severe limitations on the contracts that are able to be signed. I forget exactly what it is, I think it's a limit on how much you can increase a player's salary year to year in the uncapped system, or it might be some issue with signing bonuses. In any case, it's making contracts hard to make because they have to conform to the uncapped rules just in case they go into effect.

The union has stated that once the cap is killed they'll never vote to bring it back. Look at baseball. For a much less demanding sport there are players that will make upwards of 30 million dollars. PER YEAR. And unlike football, you can play into your 40's. This is what the players see with an uncapped system, and hey, the game worked just fine before the salary cap. The problem becomes that the parity of the league goes away and it will be harder than ever for small market teams to win because they're having a hard time supporting the increased cap now! Those teams will either have to sacrifice their best players and not go after the best players in free agency, or they'll have to move. You can see this start with the Bills playing in Toronto.

The next issue is the lockout issue. The owners can always lock the players out, which is bad for everyone. The union realized in the 80's that they can't strike because the owners will just get replacement players like Shane Falco, but the lockout is a real issue. Hockey experienced one a few years ago and is only now starting to see a return to where it was pre-lockout. With a lockout you just have no football whatsoever and if the alternate league is playing by then, then you can start to have massive fan movement to the new league. Arena league could potentially fill the gap as well. In any case, the issue becomes that no one wins in a lockout and everyone loses because the owners don't make any money and the players don't get paid either.

The league was able to stave off this problem a few years ago, and I think they will again, but they are perilously close to killing the goose and losing the golden eggs forever. I hope that cooler heads on both sides prevail and a deal that both parties can be happy with is agreed to.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I'm not even going to speculate about what an uncapped season would mean to the Rams because its not going to happen. The owners want the cap, and they have the superior bargaining power, so it will be reinstated.

There will likely be changes to the current system. For example, the players will fight hard to change, if not altogether eliminate, the franchise tag rule. I also think the owners will fight hard for a rookie cap, which, frankly, would be a good thing for the league.

The best thing a team can do now to prepare for the possibility (however remote) of an uncapped year is to lock in key players now. The Rams are working on doing exactly that with Jackson and Atogwe.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

My concern is the impact this will have on the negotiations with Steven Jackson and OJ Atogwe. I heard that the Cowboys deal with Marion Barber got in just under wire, which begs the question, what happens now with players who need to have their deals extended?

Let us all pray for a salary cap and a rookie salary cap so things stay relatively level in the NFL. St. Louis will not be the mecca of free agents with our current spennding pattern.

Go Rams!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast