View Poll Results: Time to get a Quality #2 RB to help SJ39?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it would be wise to do it this year!

16 76.19%
  • No, it can wait/ we have more pressing needs

5 23.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Imperitive on getting a quality #2 this year, Your thoughts?

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Imperitive on getting a quality #2 this year, Your thoughts?

Unlike most of the years in the past I think this is that ONE year that we need to address the #2 runningback!!! Finally!! And no not the half a** DeSpAgs way of finding a backup like Norwood, or that other guy that just looks at laterals passes that..... well you get my point. We have to spend a pick this year or address it through FA in my opinion. Jackson is not going to honestly sit here and say " Ohh well it would be nice to have someone to give me a huff every now and again" You kidding me? He is competitive and wouldn't admit defeat like that...

Somewhere, anywhere outside of the first two rounds we should pick up a good back or I'm thinking Mr Tolbert from the Chargers... he's young, won't be expensive, money near the GL and is a human wrecking ball to continue to wear down defenses with the smash mouth approach, and can handle a full load if Jackson goes down. And He won't cost a ton....
    Anyways anyone feel the same way I do, ITS ABOUT DAM TIME WE GET HELP FOR OUR SJ39??
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -03-02-2012 at 02:09 AM.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: Imperitive on getting a quality #2 this year, Your thoughts?

Absolutely! Frankly, however, right now I don't have the name I could really root for (out of several).

But it is imperative.
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-02-2012 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Ram

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I believe Trent Richardson is going to be a star at the next level. The rest of the RB class is quite good, but I dont see too many potential ten year starters in this class. Drafting a change of pace, or 3rd down back is probably the most likely scenario. Lamar Miller, L.James or Isaiah Pead would be fine pick ups in my opinion.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -03-02-2012 at 09:27 AM.

RamSoup is offline Registered User

I would love to see Tolbert in Blue and Gold, hes a beast. But I also agree with Ground dog, third down change of pace type back has to be addressed, hopefully at the top of the 3rd round. Whoever falls from the 2nd we should grab between James, San Diego State kid (forgot his name) or Pead..
    ZiaRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RamSoup View Post
    I would love to see Tolbert in Blue and Gold, hes a beast. But I also agree with Ground dog, third down change of pace type back has to be addressed, hopefully at the top of the 3rd round. Whoever falls from the 2nd we should grab between James, San Diego State kid (forgot his name) or Pead..
    Ive been hoping for RB help in the draft, for a long time now. Its now come to the point where it's become an absolute MUST for SJ39, and our offense. Im not sure what Fishers thinking is on smaller change of pace, type RB's these days. I cant recall him using players of that nature, in Tennesee.? Except for Chris Johnson, maybe. So its difficult to say what direction Fisher will go in.?
    Is it Ronnie Hillman who plays for San Diego State, Soup.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -03-02-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

I really hope we draft a change of pace back this year, even if its in the later rounds.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    I believe Trent Richardson is going to be a star at the next level. The rest of the RB class is quite good, but I dont see too many potential ten year starters in this class. Drafting a change of pace, or 3rd down back is probably the most likely scenario. Lamar Miller, L.James or Isaiah Pead would be fine pick ups in my opinion.
    Hmmm do we really see LaMichael James as a viable 2nd back then replacement for Sjackson? James seems more like a Warrick Dunn type back-- not an every down back. Id rather see Miller, the Boise State Back, or VT back than James.
    ZiaRam likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamSoup View Post
    Tolbert would be a great addition.. love seeing defenses start hesistating come about the 3rd cuarter after he works em for a bit...
    Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Ive been hoping for RB help in the draft, for a long time now. Its now come to the point where it's become an absolute MUST for SJ39, and our offense. Im not sure what Fishers thinking is on smaller change of pace, type RB's these days. I cant recall him using players of that nature, in Tennesee.? Except for Chris Johnson, maybe. So its difficult to say what direction Fisher will go in.?
    Is it Ronnie Hillman who plays for San Diego State, Soup.?
    Fisher had Eddie George as a Bell cow for a long time early on and remember the Chris Johnson Lendall White combo for a bit? Was pretty dang good haha

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    I really hope we draft a change of pace back this year, even if its in the later rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Hmmm do we really see LaMichael James as a viable 2nd back then replacement for Sjackson? James seems more like a Warrick Dunn type back-- not an every down back. Id rather see Miller, the Boise State Back, or VT back than James.
    Honestly i like that Oregon RB... he looks like a great all around back...

punahou is offline Registered User

Isnt James like 180 lbs or something?

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Isnt James like 180 lbs or something?
    He's ~195 lbs. Nothing wrong with that, he's just going to be a Darren Sproles-type back at best. I find it interesting to see a Duck and a Beaver on the backfield.

No one knows for sure how Fishead will view their players, so you never know.? I think the Boise State back Martin is the percieved best fit, but he doesn't have difference making qualities I prefer?. VT's Wilson is an impressive player, but his upright style isnt to my liking. So Id like the Rams to address other areas of the team, rather than draft these players. SPEED and quickness needs to be added to our offense, and I think the players I mentioned, would give us some of that. L.James reminds me of Darren Sproles, enough said I think, and remember we do play in a dome. This is why Id like the Rams to pick Trent Richardson. In one foul swoop our running game will be covered. The Rams wouldn't have to worry about RB again for years. Teams would have to respect the Rams inside running game, and the outside areas with Mr Richardson. Killing two birds with one stone, as he can do it all.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -03-03-2012 at 10:00 AM.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Honestly at this point i dont think he wants help,i got the sense this season sometimes when he came out he looked mad.He can be out on 3rd n 15 hes SJ he can still get a catch if need be and hes a good blocker.I dont want to find a complementary back to take away touches.SJ is the type of back that wears you down with touches,you take away 1/3 or even 1/4 of his touches he looses his effectiveness.When he looks like he cant carry the load every down then think about a replacement but right now he still wants 300+ touches a season and can handle it.RB's are a dime a dozen arian foster is proof any1 can play so i dont see a pressing need to address this in the early rounds.We have to many other holes with bad starters playing,rather than trying to find a #2 RB??

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39WillRunYaOva View Post
    Honestly at this point i dont think he wants help,i got the sense this season sometimes when he came out he looked mad.He can be out on 3rd n 15 hes SJ he can still get a catch if need be and hes a good blocker.I dont want to find a complementary back to take away touches.SJ is the type of back that wears you down with touches,you take away 1/3 or even 1/4 of his touches he looses his effectiveness.When he looks like he cant carry the load every down then think about a replacement but right now he still wants 300+ touches a season and can handle it.RB's are a dime a dozen arian foster is proof any1 can play so i dont see a pressing need to address this in the early rounds.We have to many other holes with bad starters playing,rather than trying to find a #2 RB??
    Quick question, what if he gets injured? He isn't getting any younger and we need to keep him as fresh as possible. I could quite frankly care less how he feels about it. If we area able to take away 150-200 touches a year which gives him some extra life in the NFL, that's all I care about.
    ZiaRam likes this.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Quick question, what if he gets injured? He isn't getting any younger and we need to keep him as fresh as possible. I could quite frankly care less how he feels about it. If we area able to take away 150-200 touches a year which gives him some extra life in the NFL, that's all I care about.
    I agree that we should get another RB to help Jackson and to be a security blanket incase he went down, but I don't see a logical argument.

What if Sam Bradford gets injured? What if our CB's go down again? What if Laurinaitis goes down? What if Long goes down? We'd have no team what so ever and we dont have quality depth behind any of these guys so to say "what if Jackson gets injured" is a quality argument to go get another RB I'd say right....

I do think we should go after an RB. I like Doug Martin in rd 3.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I agree that we should get another RB to help Jackson and to be a security blanket incase he went down, but I don't see a logical argument.

What if Sam Bradford gets injured? What if our CB's go down again? What if Laurinaitis goes down? What if Long goes down? We'd have no team what so ever and we dont have quality depth behind any of these guys so to say "what if Jackson gets injured" is a quality argument to go get another RB I'd say right....

I do think we should go after an RB. I like Doug Martin in rd 3.
    I agree and I disagree.

Obviously, it would be nice to have depth at every position. Nobody is denying that is Bradford or JL or Long goes down, we're down a significant part of the franchise.

However, a quality #2 RB would see more playing time than, for example, a #2 QB or MLB. You wouldn't see Feeley spelling Bradford just for a series, but you're more likely to see Jacobs spelling Bradshaw or Tolbert spelling Matthews. That's why I think #2 RB is of premium importance this year - as it has been just about every year since 2006.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast