throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The importance of a running game

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

The importance of a running game

I didn't watch the game (except for a few plays in the 4th quarter) but it's pretty obvious this offense is really anemic without a running game. I certainly hope this is the peak point of our growing pains as we can't get any worse facing Jacksonville at home. I'm lowering my expectations for the entire season now seeing that we look like a bottom tier team with these apparent issues.

We're gonna have to invest in a reliable running back this coming draft seeing that Richardson is inept as a starter. Our offense went off to a good start week 1 because we were able to get a running game going to utilize the play action and as soon as you take that away, we look just as bad as the 2007-2011 offense. I'm not giving up on Bradford and Fisher yet but they're looking to be on thin ice right now and another performance like this against Jacksonville should be the nail in the coffin as we're a much better team than they are despite these current issues.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Re: The importance of a running game

O Line.

If there is no openings, you don't and can not run.
    Truth, mde8352gorams and citr92 like this.

Truth is offline Registered User

I have to agree with Dez. Our O-line was almost pointless last night. They couldn't open ANY holes for runners, nor could they pass block against a 4 man rush.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

shower beers is offline Registered User

It's a combination of both in my eyes. The O-line isn't doing their job, but the backs don't look to have the vision to make a play if their life depended on it. I recall a few runs last night of them just running into the back of the lineman in front of them. Both groups need to step it up if we're to have any offensive success.
    mde8352gorams and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    There's a reason Richardson was 2nd to last pick in draft...

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Both parties defintiely share blame here. The line isn't anything to write home about, but not one of these running backs remotely resembles an NFL caliber player who should be seeing a big workload. Richardson looked hesitant, unsure of himself and unable to successfully hit the secondary hole.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I am too use to watching Steven Jackson because I believe it is more of the RB fault than the O-line....Of course our O-line can do a better job blocking but I truly miss S-Jax just putting his head down and trucking the backs of the O-lineman in front of him to push for extra yards.

I just don't see a playmaking ability in D-Rich to be a #1...He can be a good complement back like he was last year but as the workhorse or the primary back he is just not getting it done
    RealRam likes this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I'm getting tired of pounding this drum!

Coaching is the main problem. Yes we do miss Jackson and his pass protection. However these run blocking schemes are simpleton, predictable and highly ineffective. Schot doesn't change anything up. And I'm not sure he is being told to change things up. At this point I strongly doubt he knows how. He just keeps doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results. And we all know what that describes.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Richardson with a turf toe equals slow to the hole. If there was a hole... Not sure why this staff thinks Drich can run between the tackles. Stacy or Cunningham makes more sense. Pead has looked better then DRich this year. Does not mean he's the answer.

I really thought we would be seeing a ton of Stacy last night.

citr92 is offline Registered User

all the holes get plugged up and then there's contain outside so there's no where to go....

doesn't matter who's back there, they'd get stuffed too

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Rambos, you're right, if Stacy was expected to be the between the tackles runner then why is DRich running those routes with no success I might add and we're not seeing a glimpse of Stacy. There appears to be more to this than meets the eye.

Go Rams!

punahou is offline Registered User

How can it be the Oline?
    Most of these guys are at LEAST average if not better. Jake Long, Scott Wells, Harvey Dahl. thats 60% of the line there. Maybe move Dahl to he left side and just run every play to that side? It ridiculous to think that those 3 are has beens and cant play at a decent level.

I think its more to do with play calling and scheming. Maybe this team is trying to fit a circle into a square? thereby force feeding a scheme that doesnt fit the personel.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

After watching the Jacksonville game, it's apparent that Bradford needs a reliable running game to be effective in the deep-threat department. Stacy SHOULD be starting from now on and I certainly hope Schotty will come up with better running lanes for our halfbacks.
    RealRam likes this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Stacy looked great out there. Even if a hole was not present, he set the offense up with a 3-4 yard gain. He was keeping offense on time for drives. My complaint is why no Isiah Pead? When he has been given opportunities he's played well in my opinion. D Rich has shown me nothing.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Stacy ran well. Richardson does better when they use him to the outside but they continue to try him up the middle. I'd like to see Stacy get 20 carries a game and maybe use the faster backs on 3rd downs for draws and screens. It definitely helps the play action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast