Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    moklerman is offline Registered User

Important Stat (?)

Marshall Faulk, 12 rushes, Rams lose.
    Shawn Alexander, 12 rushes, Seahawks lose.

I had this wild fantasy about Warner and Faulk reuniting in Arizona next year but Arizona is playing too well right now to start over with "old" guys. I wonder if someone will try and reunite the two of them, though. It would be a heck of a publicity stunt. Heck, throw in Bruce for good measure. Let's see...who would be able to pull that off?

Hmmm. I'm surprised at what I just came up with. As the rusty gears and cogs in my brain tried to go down the laundry list of teams of the NFL (I know I didn't get anywhere close to 32!), the team that I came up with to adopt all three, potentially ex-Rams next year, is Seattle!

I know you'll think I'm crazy no matter what my reasons but here they are anyway:

1. Shawn Alexander is in a contract year and believed to be on his way out of Seattle. I'm assuming he's chomping at the bit to test the free-agent market.

2. The Matt Hasslebeck project may be coming to end after yesterday's meltdown. You can't base too much on a bad loss to Arizona (see Marc Bulger), but he has seemed to underachieve in the win/loss column in important games.

3. Koren Robinson can't possibly last in Seattle much longer can he? Leading the league in drops this year, his problems from last year have only been magnified instead of getting better. He seems to be trying his hardest so I give him credit for not giving up, but now that it's in his head who knows if he'll ever get over it?

So, there you have it. A team with a legitimate chance of needing a qb, rb and wr. Luckily for the Clan this is just a wild idea. I would probably quit watching football if I had to look at those god awful Seahawk uniforms every week, while following these Rams legends.

If anyone is bored enough, come up with your prediction of where these three could "realistically" reunite next year.

p.s. I know this is an utterly pointless thread but if you treat it in the fun that it's intended it will probably be a lot more enjoyable than talking about yesterday's game against Miami.
    Last edited by moklerman; -10-25-2004 at 02:56 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Important Stat (?)

How about Dallas? No QB is working correctly there currently. Eddie George isn't the answer and Keyshawn/Quincy Morgan aren't a formidable WR tandem by any stretch of the imagination.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

At first thought, maybe:
    1. Tampa
    2. Miami
    3. Chicago
    4. Carolina
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    At first thought, maybe:

3. Chicago
    You heard it from Hub first.

Yeah, with the whole Lovie connection and Chicago being forced to use Craig Krentzel at one point yesterday, I'd say that that would be more realistic than Seattle.

Honestly, I'm hoping Warner was just having a bad day yesterday. He looked pretty out of sync all day. His passes seem to be pretty accurate but he hasn't developed any rapport with Amani Toomer, missing on 2 long passes. Being biased toward Warner, my initial thought is that Toomer looks really slow. It could just as easily be that Warner is overthrowing the ball though.

I don't think Bruce will be going anywhere either but Faulk is probably gone after this year unless he really restructures his deal. For some reason I think if he goes to a different team that he will be reunited with Warner.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Chicago would be a better possibility if they needed a RB as well. Between Jones and Thomas, I think they're set there. Grossman seems to be the future of that team as well. He's unproven, but I don't think the Bears would be ready to give up on him, and I certainly don't think Warner would want to go into a situation that I suspect Chicago would put him in, where they favor the young gun they already have a lot of stock in over the old gunslinger.

Miami is actually an intriguing possibility. Neither Fiedler or Feeley have looked impressive, and there were rumblings that the Dolphins might be interested in Warner earlier in the year. The Dolphins receiving core is pretty weak, even if you factor in Chambers, Booker, and a healthy Boston. And Faulk in the backfield would give them a somewhat legit running threat. Plus, they'd have the benefit of still being on a team with a questionable O-line, ZING!!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Miami's a good bet too. I suppose it all depends on Wannstedt and whether or not he get's the axe. It would be a shame to mess with that defense as successful as they've been but I think it's time for some new blood in Miami.

If Wannstedt does get fired I hope the Rams get him. I think he could get the defense whipped into shape and he seems to have a knack for evaluating and acquiring talent. I was never really enthusiastic about Marmie and one way or the other I think the Rams need to make an upgrade there. It seems to me that the dropoff between Lovie and Marmie is pretty noticable.

Coaching and attitude seem to be the main difference between 2003 and 2004 so I would have to put some, if not most, of the dropoff on Marmie's shoulders at this point.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I have to say that I agree with you about Wannstedt, Mokler. He would be an awesome DC. The dropoff under Marmie has been utterly depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFamily
    I have to say that I agree with you about Wannstedt, Mokler. He would be an awesome DC. The dropoff under Marmie has been utterly depressing.
    This has been my dream ever since we knew Lovie was leaving. Wait for the fins to ax Dave W. Bring him in and give him the defense. And when I say "give" him the defense, I mean GIVE him the defense. Martz shouldn't even know the names of our defensive players, much less interact with them in any way. Let him spend all of his time fine tuning the O. Then assuming we can successfully dance the salary cap cha-cha, we can fill some gaps and put our winner back together.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I think he could get the defense whipped into shape and he seems to have a knack for evaluating and acquiring talent.
    Two things I'd like to add.

One, Wannstedt might be a good option as DC, but we also have to consider scheme and personnel before we start throwing out names. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Miami Dolphins run the Cover 2 based defense that we've run for the last couple of seasons, nor do I think we have similar personnel as what Miami does currently. Therefore, I'm assuming that if we bring in Wannstedt and want to turn the defense around, we're probably going to need a large defensive overall in terms of personnel which would have numerous effects on both the cap and our short-term success. But maybe I'm off-base here.

Two, I don't know how big of a role the GM and front office plays in talent acquisition for the Dolphins since I don't follow them as closely. But examine some of the moves they've made recently: Ricky Williams (case could be made that this was either positive or negative given the situation), David Boston, AJ Feeley, traded Ogunleye for Marty Booker and a draft pick, traded to acquire Lamar Gordon (I love Lamar but I wouldn't have made this trade). I'm not convinced that recent acquisitions support the idea that Wanny has a good knack for bringing in talent, although as I said, I don't know how big a role he played in some of these moves. Plus, I'm sure I've left off a number of good acquisitions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    It seems to me that the dropoff between Lovie and Marmie is pretty noticable.
    Maybe it's just me, but I think the only dropoff has been in turnover production. This defense gave up plenty of yards and missed plenty of tackles when Lovie was around. But they were able to force some turnovers and stop offenses that way back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Ricky Williams (case could be made that this was either positive or negative given the situation), David Boston, AJ Feeley, traded Ogunleye for Marty Booker and a draft pick, traded to acquire Lamar Gordon
    Just a quick point here. These are all Offensive acquisitions. And no one will ever mistake Wannstedt for an Offensive guru, but his defensive record is remarkable. Since the '89 season, Wannstedt's defenses have ranked in the top 13 in all but 2 seasons, including 7 top 7 finishes. Something else to think about is that of those 16 seasons, the Rams D has outperformed a Wannstedt D only 3 times ('95, '98 & '01). And one final thought, from '96-'03, here's a comparison between Wannstedt coached Defenses, Marmie coached Defenses, and Ram Defenses, as ranked on yardage:

Wannstedt teams - 11th, 10th, 13th, 4th, 6th, 5th, 3rd, 11th
    Marmie teams - 19th, 26th, 21st, 22nd, 26th, 27th, 29th, 24th
    Ram teams - 25th, 18th, 11th, 7th, 24th, 3rd, 13th, 17th

Wannstedt outperforms the Rams in 6 of 8 seasons. The Rams outperform Marmie in 7 of 8 seasons. Draw your own conclusions, but it's something to consider.

Very strong points, Bison. I'm just not convinced that bringing in a defensive coordinator with a very different philosophy is going to help us win anytime in the immediate future. Although I guess with many defensive contracts coming up on their last years, it may not be as painful a process as I'm thinking. And who knows, perhaps Wanny's style wouldn't be as hard to impliment as I'm thinking it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Very strong points, Bison. I'm just not convinced that bringing in a defensive coordinator with a very different philosophy is going to help us win anytime in the immediate future. Although I guess with many defensive contracts coming up on their last years, it may not be as painful a process as I'm thinking. And who knows, perhaps Wanny's style wouldn't be as hard to impliment as I'm thinking it would be.
    Nick, you're right, it would be different. In fact, the first two differences that come to mind are Wannstedt utilizing a pass cover SS, and a line-busting skull-thumper at MLB. We currently have neither. I don't think Thomas will become a demon anytime soon, but Faulk, maybe. As for teaching Arch to cover, well, I'm not holding my breath.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Here's one for y'all

PANTHERS FACING REALITY ON DELHOMME

A league source tells us that the Carolina Panthers are beginning to believe that quarterback Jake Delhomme was a one-year wonder -- and that the team plans to bring in a veteran in the offseason to challenge Delhomme's spot as the starter.

In our view, this development makes the Panthers a prime candidate for the services of Kurt Warner, whose play to date with the Giants has secured for him a shot at a starting gig in another NFL city come 2005.

The only potential glitch here, of course, is that Warner and Delhomme are represent by the same agency. Mark Bartelstein handles Warner, and Bartelstein's colleague, Rick Smith, is Delhomme's agent. If Warner were to come to Carolina, Jake possibly would dump Smith.

For the Panthers (and for any team) such issues are irrelevant. But, as a practical matter, agents try to finesse their way around such situations. Tom Condon, for example, didn't want Eli Manning in San Diego because he also represented Drew Brees. Thus, our guess is that Bartelstein would try to nudge Warner elsewhere in order to avoid any potentially messy complications with Delhomme.

Either way, the Panthers will be looking for someone else to push Delhomme next season -- either to greater heights or to the bench.

That's good stuff Tex, I hadn't heard that one. I'm not familiar enough with Carolina on a day-to-day basis to have any kind of a feel for it though. I do know that Carolina lost 4 out 5 starting offensive lineman in the offseason, Steve Smith and DeShawn Foster for the year, not to mention Davis has constantly been in and out of the lineup.

I can't imagine any qb succeeding much less excelling under those circumstances but I don't watch Carolina enough to know. Jake may be stinking it up in addition to all of those things. I guess if you're named Jake, you pretty much suck at qb this year.

Which leads me to my dream choice for Warner...Denver! They have a good record this year, but have any of you seen some of the crap that "the Snake" has pulled? He looks as bad as he ever did in Arizona and I think Shanahan is getting frustrated with his performances. The left-handed interception earlier this year was the coups-de-grat if you ask me.

As far as the Miami/Wannstedt conversation goes, I don't think he runs the same system as the Rams but I don't think that the personnel is so different that he couldn't make his system work here. Obviously, the Rams don't have as big of names on defense right now but I don't know that any of the "big name" Dolphins on defense were high-priced free agents brought into the system either.

My point is that the defense made these guys stars. Taylor, Thomas, etc. were all drafted by Miami weren't they? They became stars once they got there. So, it might take a couple of years to get all the players lined up, but once the base was stabilized the D could be solid for years like in Miami. Please remember, this is all just wishful thinking, done without a lot of research. I'm assuming the Miami cap situation is a little more balanced than the Rams' at this point so I don't know for sure that this scenario is fiscally possible. In "theory" however, it's a nice fantasy.

I posted a while back that I'd like to see Jimmy Johnson brought in as the head coach, keep Martz as OC and bring in Dave as DC. I mean, it's "possible".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast