Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Impressions after the game

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Impressions after the game

- QB Sam Bradford did not look comfortable. He looked nervous, was off target, running for his life, and getting destroyed all night.

- Isaiah Pead has struggled mightily so far. He picked his play up eventually, but hes really struggling. On the other hand, Darryl Richardson looks like an absolute steal. Hits the hole hard, has a great burst, will never lose yardage.

- The offensive line was horrible. Just plain terrible.

- Robert Quinn is a beast. He had multiple pressures on Romo tonight and could have easily had 3 or 4 sacks. He did over-pursue some running plays though.

- Michael Brockers is a monster. He was flying to the ball and making great wrap-up tackles. Clogged running lanes.

- Janoris Jenkins got abused tonight. Gave up a huge first long touchdown, and the second one he didn't even attempt at tackling. Better now than in the regular season.

- Craig Dahl is horrible.

- Rodney McLeod looks nice. Had a few nice plays, and a good pass breakup.

- Rookie kicker Greg Zuerlein is a BEAST. He is 3/3 on FG's of 50+ yards. Going to be the next Janikowski.

Feel free to add anything else!
    MFranke, r8rh8rmike and ManofGod like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Re: Impressions after the game

Didn't watch the the game, but this mornings highlight reel looked pretty awful in places.
    (Offensive line and secondary in particular)

But hey! its pre-season . . . . . Yay!

.....(GULP!)

RealRam is offline Registered User

Agree with most of what you said here Sosa, good observations. Sadly, I also agree on some of the horrors the Rams produced at Dallas tonight ... there were a few VERY disappointing plays.

And yes, for some reason I still can't grasp, Bradford does look to be off target, too wound up. He missed some reasonably easy passes, at least three, four. This really concerns me. Is this an overall timing thing as a result of a 'developing offense'? An OL that hasn't clicked yet?

Defense looked lost for the most part, at times they looked liked like HSchool kids! Especially in coverage. Is this because we don't have a real DC in place?

I shake my head when, even during this pre-season game, I see that we struggle SO much to make plays, i.e., gain yards (particularly in the 1st half) while allowing the opponents to make plays churning up one, two, three hundred yards and making them look good!

Dallas even helped us by making a few errors / penalties! And still, it was just SO hard for us to get in synch, red zone or not. All this attested by a comical failure to score a PAT on the 1st attempt. For crying out loud.

The few nice plays by the Rams were easily overshadowed by the blunders in coverage and the embarrasing missed tackles by the D on key plays. I kept listening to those Dallas sportcasters -- including a respectable Daryl Johnston -- repeating, "Coach Fisher is probably not liking what he's seeing by the Rams defense" or something to that effect; that was terrible because it was true.

I watched the game a few thousand miles away on a small TV screen. I might have missed something more positive from this excercise. But right now I'm hoping to be surprised by Coach Fisher, the rest of the Rams coaches and most of all, of course, by the players to regroup, to reach within and play much better football.

The Rams WRs might produce a good group IMO, but Bradford H A S to refind and refine his efficiency.

Whatever it takes.
    Last edited by RealRam; -08-26-2012 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Frown
    MFranke likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Obviously a little disappointed with the result this morning. I didn't get to watch the game last night as I was out drinking with my mates. But it's very concerning to read that Sam Bradford was back to his jittery old self. ? Oh well, back on the horse and lets look forward to the season.
    GO RAMS

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Agreed with the assessment on Zeurlein, Brockers and Quinn. They are part of the solution. The potential is there for a great defensive line. Zeurlein has more than shown why Josh Brown was considered expendable.I would add Kendricks to that list. I think the guy is going to show what he's capable of this season, which is a lot. Unfortunately, the three areas of primary concern going into this season- the offense, the o-line and the defensive backfield remain problematic.

I'm more than a little worried about our secondary, which absolutely sucks thus far. This is a unit that supposedly was upgraded with Finnegan, Jenkins and Johnson and what they've done thus far has been an embarrassment. They got torched by a rookie (Luck), allowed Matt Cassel to put up good numbers on them and had Tony Romo abuse them despite not having Dez Bryant, Miles Austin or Jason Witten, his top three targets. Not only can the secondary not cover anyone, they can't tackle either. The effort by Jenkins on Dallas' 2nd receiving TD was one of the most pathetic displays of tackling I've ever seen. And THIS is the "steal" people clammored for?? Maybe that crap worked at the University of North Alabama, but it won't work here. Don't tell me it's the pre-season. Don't tell me the Rams are playing a vanilla scheme. Coverage is coverage. Get there, be in position and make a play.

Bradford wasn't very good. I'm constantly wondering why; is it the lack of separation from his receivers, is it the line not giving him enough time to throw or is it a combination of both? What gives? I'd like to see some points this season- and it won't happen unless these units improve. So far, I have concerns.

Also concerning is Pead, who shows me nothing. Richardson- a 7th round pick- has shown me more than Pead, which is not good. Time to put the big boy pants on, Isaiah. We already had one dummy from Cincinnati (Gilyard) who wasted our time and couldn't learn the offense- start earning your pay and justify your draft spot. Help out the guy (Jackson) who has been the franchise for years.

Two weeks to get it all figured out.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Good write ups so far hard to disagree with anything said. I wish I was out drinking with the my mates last night.

Fisher has done more coaching in this preseason then Spags did in three years, the guy is so vocal and into the game.

QB's

Sam was awful just awful...
    Worst game I have ever seen Sam play, preseason or not he looked really bad. He threw one real nice pass to Kendricks and that was it. He seemed to have little or no patience for the two rookie backs. Both lined up in wrongs spots and went the wrong direction on some plays. In the Redzone Dallas did a real nice job, there was no where to go with the ball.

O line

Is Richardson really beating out Smith really? Another false start driving killing penalty by Richardson.
    Ojinnaka is a liability if we are going to have a guard miss blocks, let go with Rok at least there is some hope he will get better. The Dahl scratch late worries me, hope it's not serious.

RB's

The fact that SJax was coming in on pass plays does not make me feel to comfortable, if Pead does not know who to block he should not get reps until he does. That did not help Sam, considering every time SJ came in the Cowboys knew it was a pass, heck I even picked up on that. Pead looked good on returns so lets give him his due there, he may have won the KR job tonight. But he may have also become number three on the depth charts. Behind this Ram line I don't see him having much success. He's not big enough to create his own hole like SJ.

Secondary
    Jenkins did not played well got burned twice and did not wrap up, not worried about Jenkins he's the real deal. Was Laurinaitis really supposed to cover a receiver that far down the field.. Fisher said they had communication issues. The safety's all of them have played bad, including Quintin Mikell. He looks slow and is always trailing his man that is wide open. I thought the secondary was going to be good but our safety's stink.

Laurinaitis and Long have not played well IMO. Laurinaitis has missed some easy tackles and Long has yet to show up. Quinn looks like he's light years ahead of Long.

Quick looked really smooth on his catch, looks like he has a real nice stride as he was pulling away. Would be nice to see him play with the ones. Sam could have used his size in the redzone.

Salas made a hell of a catch in the endzone so did Pettis...

Gibby does not practice all week and he starts don't get that.

Kellen Clemens, almost got Quick killed threw him right into coverage. Austin Davis, looks better the Clemens, heck he looked better then Sam last night.

Fisher said next week he will play his starters into the third Quarter. That means our ones will be going against scrubs, as most team pull the starters early in the fourth game. If we look bad next week at home against two's and three's it could be a long year. Fisher has really tried to get the offense going maybe this is his last chance to get them some confidence.

No injuries that I know of so we are looking good on that front, I keep seeing starters going down on other teams.

Cuts are coming soon, lets hope we get a G,OT,S lol.....
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-26-2012 at 10:17 AM.
    MFranke likes this.

supachump is offline Registered User

Sam is still shell shocked. Sorry to think/say this. But I still think he is (mentally) damaged goods from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post
    Sam is still shell shocked. Sorry to think/say this. But I still think he is (mentally) damaged goods from last year.
    He looked good last week, how did he do that if he's damaged goods? He had a bad game it happens and it will happen again. As long as he has far more good games then bad ones.

live4ramin is online now Registered User

Getting greased early and often in this game didn't help his confidence any. This OL can't bode well for his future (or anyones).
    Let the hype begin.

Haste is offline Registered User

I think we should give Davis the Backup QB role. Seems when he is in there, he can make some plays and can run too.

Our secondary looked terrible....it seems they are always out of position to make a play and let the opposing team get wide open.

The oline is mostly junk, which is pretty freaking sad. Pead may fall to 3rd on the depth chart, and apparently he is not trusted to block which is not good at all.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I'm not ready to write off Sam yet. I was to say the least, disappointed in the two easy TD's we gave the Cowgirls, but after thinking about it more this morning I had these thoughts:

The Cowboys were supposed to go all the way (or close to that) a couple of years in a row now. So they are going to try to make themselves look the best they can. That POS Ryan will also try to justify his job by getting a win by any means necessary. They also have a billion dollar stadium and a SB ticket Gaffe they need to make up for, so this game to them is almost a must win.

Jeff Fisher knows way more on the X and O's than I do. He took on a train wreck of a team with more holes than the Albert Hall. He was using this game to gauge his players. I realized that when he went for the extra point as opposed to the conversion at the end of the game. His vision is long term, not win immediately like my gut would tell me to do, and I respect that. That and the three years I give every coach, he has time on my clock anyway.

So back to Sam. He was rattled by the Cowgirls first team defense as anyone would be who has gone trough an almost Carr like experience in the NFL. I see that for the most part our secondary and defense have a foundation to work with, but I worry about the O line. If Fisher can fix that and give same some more time he may be able to succeed. Just as Alex Smith was able to be successful with the right coaching I think Sam can be as well, IF we protect him in time.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    - QB Sam Bradford did not look comfortable. He looked nervous, was off target, running for his life, and getting destroyed all night.
    Luck and Griffen seem to be more consistant than Bradford is so far. Hopefully Bradford comes along but I'm starting to get worried. Three years down the line looking great one week and then equally as bad the next isn't going to get it done. He's looking like an average NFL QB and not a franchise guy.
    RealRam likes this.

supachump is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    He looked good last week, how did he do that if he's damaged goods? He had a bad game it happens and it will happen again. As long as he has far more good games then bad ones.
    One game performance doesn't make a trend. This guy strikes me as having PTSD. While I'm not a psychologist, my wife is and she believes that is a real possibility given how much he got hit last year. I'll go with the PhD that deals with war veterans on this one.

I think Sam plays great when he is protected. The problem is, our OLine isn't that great. When he gets hammered, I think he goes into a shell.

One game performance doesn't make a trend. This guy strikes me as having PTSD. While I'm not a psychologist, my wife is and she believes that is a real possibility given how much he got hit last year. I'll go with the PhD that deals with war veterans on this one.

I think Sam plays great when he is protected. The problem is, our OLine isn't that great. When he gets hammered, I think he goes into a shell.
    I don't think there are too many if any QB's that do not get rattled after a beaten
    ... Warner and Marc to name two.

As far as trends, he was 7-9 week one, had a passer rating of 144.4, wasn’t sacked, and was hit only once against KC. This week he got sacked early and hit often... and went into a shell as you stated. Who knows maybe he has been effected by the shots, only time will tell. Fisher said he would protect Sam, they did not do it yesterday.
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-26-2012 at 07:14 PM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I don't think anyone can disagree with you here. I know it's easy for some to say he just needs to get it done, but it looked to me last night that he had a lot of forces working against him. Bradford needs to do his part, but he's not going to get it done alone, and that's what he basically was out there against Dallas IMO. I'm going to watch the game again, but I don't remember him getting much of a chance to succeed. I hate excuses, but sometimes they're legitimate.

Nice post BTW sosa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast