Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Impressions from tonight?

I listened to most of the first half before I lost reception on my radio feed, so chime in with your own thoughts, but this is what crossed my mind about our first exhibition...

-Grossman's out 3-4 months with a broken ankle, which is going to kill Chicago, methinks. All the more reason to shorten the preseason schedule to 2-3 games, to try and avoid stuff like that as much as possible.

-First team defense seemed pretty solid from what I heard. Sounds like Jerome Carter really has a nose for the ball in terms of being all over the field. Sounded like our D-line was impressive as well, and Claiborne looks to be the real deal in the middle.

-The offensive line worries me. Tucker took away any good thoughts I had about him possibly manning the right side of that line. Unless he makes drastic improvements, I'm not sure he makes it to the regular season roster.

-Bulger seemed a bit rusty. Two picks, one called back. Work that out of your system now, my man!

-Jackson was impressive from what I heard. Hopefully that 33-yard run is a sign of things to come. Faulk gets two carries for -2 yards. Hopefully that is not a sign of things to come.

-I wonder... was there a reason Wilkins and Arch weren't playing tonight?

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: Impressions from tonight?

It's pre-season and the one interception Bulger threw the guy snatched it out of the air. Bruce was even suprised the guy caught it. It was just a great diving INT.

Jackson is going to be a stud. As long as our line can come together we will see big things from him.

As for the line coming together, that I'm not sure of. Willig looked good filling in for Pace but can he play right tackle? Barron I doubt is going to be ready by week 1, he has missed too much. I'm not really confident in Sapaia or Williams at RT.

The NFL network will be airing the entire game on Sunday at 10am eastern time if anyone is interested.
    Just Fix It

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

The interception waspoorly thrown!......ADB dove to catch it but,it was truly a bad throw! Green had 3 sacks alone

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Starting offensive line.

LT - Pace - Pro Bowler in the top 3 in the league.

LG - Terrell/Nutten -Cant go wrong. Both are battlers Terrell is huge and Nutten a warrior vet.

C - McCollum - Solid I think better then Wohlabaugh who was supposed to replace him.
    Played in 100% of the offensive plays last year 100%.

RG - Timmerman/Incognito(future) - Timmerman is a two-time Pro Bowl guard. Played in 100% of the offensive plays last year 100%.

RT - Saipaia /Willig/Baron/Timmerman(2002 played RT)(Terrell/Nutten/Saipaia move to RG)/Tucker (Oh Tucker)

RT I think this is the only question mark on the line and we in Martz system you need time to throw we will find someone to fill in until Baron is ready this year or next. I think our offensive line is better then most for this system. I cant imagine many other teams offensive lines playing better in our system. Saipaia was solid last year maybe even to the point of average. Timmerman is a solid OL in 2002 he played RT maybe he moves out and you have Terrell/Saipaia/Nutten for the two guard spots although I dont think Martz would do it. We are defintly strong at guard especially when Icognito gets healthy. I am not sold yet on McCollums backup at center maybe Turner but this is important for the leadership that comes with that position (McCollum provides some leadership at the position).

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

I am going to be watching the full game Sunday. I was glued to the T.V. all yesterday night watching the NFL Network Live Whip Around Show. They barely showed any clips of our game but when they did, I have to say, Ridgeway( probobly spelled wrong, sorry...) looked good and so did Jamie Martin. There was a catch that Ridgeway caught where he was getting tackled and was about to go to the ground but somehow he managed to keep himself up and pick up some extra yards. Although the great effort, the play was called back because of an illegal touching of the ball call on Kevin Curtis (???). BTW, I think we ended up scoring on that drive, if I am not mistaken.

Well as always...

GO RAMS!!! :clanram:

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Ridgeway did look good.

What wonderful toys Martz has to play with.

RB- Jackson, Faulk, Harris
    WR- Bruce, Holt, Curtis, Ridgeway, McDonald, Looker

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

We have to get the Offensive fixed.This is the biggest problem we have
    it looks like everything else will be solid to great.
    Dont be Suprized if Barron starts,because I dont see anybody else handling that position,maybe Willig not positive.
    If the Offensive line cant gel then I doubt we go better than 9-7.

Psycho is a tad worried mates.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

moklerman is offline Registered User

If I learned nothing else from last year, I know that preseason means nothing when it comes to Rams' backup qb's. I was suckered into thinking that Chandler might be a decent alternative to Bulger based on Chandler's strong outing's in the preseason.

We all know that Martin is barely servicable so I'm not making any revelations here, but I just wanted to remind anyone who was impressed by his two td performance last night.

Other than that, I only got to see a couple of plays on the aforementioned NFL Network "No Huddle" show. Jackson ran into a traffic jam then bounced it outside for decent yardage, Martin threw low over the middle to Curtis, who then got sandwiched by two Bear defenders and the Rex Grossman injury were the only video I got to see. The show was like four hours long so I just couldn't make it all the way through. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which game they were going to spotlight either so I was fast becoming disinterested while watching Senecca Wallace and the Seahawks and/or Cassle and the Patriots.

The show was kind of cool, but I'd rather just have a live game and watch tape delays of whatever didn't get aired live.

rocfan1 is offline Registered User

I disagree with the o-line assesment when bulger was in the game the pass blocking was the best I've seen in years they were giving bulger alot of time in the pocket to pass..but the run blocking now thats a dif. story

We need to get Alex barron on the line his position is the weakest right now on our line

our d-line looked very solid!!!!they impressed me the most in the first quarter they were everywere

but our defense is still missing tackles we can't afford to do that during the season

STLRAMSFAN Guest

I believe we have 4 o-linemen from our Super Bowl Years as well as some good depth at Guard. I think the OL problems are overstated, worse case you have Saipaia start who did a serviceable job last year. I think with that many o-linemen who have played together that jelling will not be a problem. RT ? but thats the only ? on the line and we have a returning starter from last year.

viper is offline Registered User

Rammiser, thanks for the reminder about the game being shown on Sunday. I almost forgot to record it. I'm heading up to our property for the weekend.

I agree there wasn't much coverage of the game. It seemed like 10 minutes worth combined and that might be generous and much of that was repeats about Grossman's injury...pretty disappointing.

It sure was good to see the boys in uniform and on the field again. Jamie Martin was suprisingly sharp. He had a little zip on the ball. But, I too want to be cautious about reading to much into his performance because of his mediocre performances of the past. But hey, like they said last night, he's had a full camp this year and perhaps that is the difference. I'll just wait and see.

Ridgeway looked darned impressive. I'm not sure how many receivers we're going to carry, but, he looks like a keeper. Looker better be pleased he has a day job as a holder.

Didn't get to see much of Jackson other than when he hit the brick wall and bounced it to the outside. His numbers looked good with 7 carries for 47 yards, but, that is deceptiive considering he had one run for 33 yards and his last 3 carries were for 0 yards each. Hopefully that is due to the makeshift line. I think he'll be a great one.

From what I could see the run defense looked good at times and not so good at others. I would expect that to improve as the season goes on.

I didn't get much of a read on the defensive backfield. I'd appreciate anyone's observations here.

Overall, I think we saw enough to be optimistic about the upcoming season. Granted, it was a preseason game. But, we didn't collapse either. The two big question marks in my mind are, can we shore up line at the right tackle position and the Butler injury.

GO RAMS!!! :clanram:
    Last edited by viper; -08-13-2005 at 01:43 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rocfan1
    I disagree with the o-line assesment when bulger was in the game the pass blocking was the best I've seen in years they were giving bulger alot of time in the pocket to pass..but the run blocking now thats a dif. story
    Bulger dropped back nine times and was sacked twice. This is the best pass blocking you've seen in years?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Hey Nick,

You sound like me !!

You critics are too damn harsh.

rocfan1 is offline Registered User

those two sacks came by the De on the right side thats a weak position but everything else looked good on most the passing plays he was well protected....Were you watching the same game as me

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

We finally got to see the game.
    Bulger...yes, he was rusty. He seemed to be critiquing (sp.?) himself on each play. He did the same thing last year, and improved throughout the preseason. It seems to be his way. If he still plays this way in the last week of preseason, I will worry. Right now, I'm not.
    Atogwe impressed us...darn good for a rookie.
    Martin shocked us...camp really helped him, not starting material, but looks to be a good backup so far.
    Marshall was a dissappointment...but then again, it was preseason. I'm not worried.
    Ridgeway was a nice surprise...he is someone to watch in the future.
    Our starting defense...was that really the Rams? Those boys looked solid!
    The secondary...they looked good, too.
    Cason was kinda questionable. Not sure what is going on there.
    Hodges....inconsistent. He needs work. I wonder if Wilkins can tutor him about his accuracy...
    The right side of the O-line is my only big worry right now. It was better than last year (marginally) but still needs work. Let's hope Barron has a photographic memory of the playbook. If they solidify the right side, we have got a very solid team in the works here. Mom was impressed with the depth we have at the defensive side. I was impressed with the fact that Atogwe seemed to be quick enough to either be involved in most tackles, or was close enough to be there just in case...plus, the interception was nice.
    Overall, for the first pre-season game, not too bad. Not bad at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast