RamWraith is offline Registered User

Improved Atogwe puts together interception string

By Bill Coats 12/02/2007 7:09 pm

Oshiomogho Atogwe, the third-year free safety out of Stanford, is rather quietly putting together a nice season. His late interception Sunday was key in holding off the Falcons in the Rams’ 28-16 victory.

In his second full season as a starter, Atogwe has a team-high five picks, including one in each of the last four games. He shared the team lead last year, with three. He hasn’t wound up in the end zone, though.

“I’m trying to get to the house,” Atogwe said. “I’ve yet to get a pick-six in my career, so every time I get (an interception), I try to just get as far as I can and put the offense in better position.”

After some rough moments early last season, Atogwe has developed into a solid defender. He came into Sunday’s game with 66 tackles, No. 4 on the squad. He was credited with six more in the unofficial press-box stats.

He didn’t get into the game, but quarterback Brock Berlin said he “had a blast” just standing on the sideline in uniform. It marked the first time the third-year pro had suited up for a regular-season game.

“It was great, a lot of fun,” said Berlin, who was promoted from the practice squad after No. 1 QB Marc Bulger suffered a concussion in last week’s game. Berlin said he kept a close eye on Sunday’s starter, Gus Frerotte.

“Oh, yeah. You’re always making sure he’s fine,” Berlin said. “He did a good job today.”

Hanik Milligan, one of the Rams’ busiest special-teams contributors, played with a bulky cast protecting his left hand, broken last week vs. Seattle. “It was real difficult; it’s like playing with one arm,” Milligan said. “It was kind of frustrating, so I’ve go to work on using it better this week” in practice.

Milligan probably is facing surgery, but he wants to wait until the season is over. “I’m determined to finish what we started,” he said. “I feel we’ve got a good run to finish the season and then I’ll deal with it after.”

Notes & quotes:

>>On Family Day, the Rams’ locker room was swarming with players’ young children after the game.

>>Frerotte was strikingly accurate with his throws, particularly in the first half. But he also was helped by some acrobatic catches.

>>The Rams came away with touchdowns in both their red zone visits.

>>QB Chris Redman, who hadn’t thrown a touchdown pass since 2002 and was selling insurance last year, gave the Falcons a nice boost in the second half and nearly rallied them to victory.

>>While LT Alex Barron was having his left hand X-rayed (it’s bruised, not broken), Brandon Gorin got in a third-quarter series at LT, with Rob Petitti at RT. The rest of the game, Gorin and Petitti alternated on the right side.

>>Many Rams wore “21″ stickers on their helmet, a tribute to the late Redskins defensive back Sean Taylor.

>>Atlanta’s Adam Jennings earned a silly taunting penalty after his long punt return to the end zone early in the second half. Didn’t matter, though. The play was called back because of a holding penalty.

>>Ex-Mizzou tight end Dwayne Blakley had one catch for 5 yards for the Falcons.

All for now. . .

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Improved Atogwe puts together interception string

Always good to see we can't go a game without some kind of injury to the offensive line...

And that the defense can't even stop an insurance salesman.

All that is not much compared to a win, though!

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Nice to see Berlin is just happy to be on the sidelines

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

I've always liked Oshiomogho Atogwe. I would like to see him in a Rams uniform for years to come. This guy has consistently improved since the Rams drafted him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

keith m. klink Guest

NOW IT'S THE QB'S , can we not get a break . we are looking at a possible start by a guy who just suited up for his first game . this should shine a lite on only carrying 2 QB's for extra special teams players , or TE's as it seems .

keith m. klink Guest

as for ATAGWE , some guy's don't think this guy is any good at all , all i have too say is PFFFTTT !!! he is going to be a solid DB to build around . now we need a solid hitter/ tackler , who flys around the field like craig steltz from LSU to help him out . maybe anouther year will produce a healthy and solid CARTER at safety , but we want depth also .