Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Improvement on Offensive Line Must Not Go Unnoticed ...

Lets take a look at the numbers here:

First 11 games - 88.4 YPG Rushing, 3.4 sacks per game allowed

Last 3 games - 115 YPG Rushing, 0.67 sacks per game allowed

So, what can we make of this? Well, after we talked about the improved line against Miami, the general consensus was to not get excited until the line could put together a few solid games in a row. Well, they have done just that.

And the numbers don't tell the whole story. Not only is Bulger not getting sacked, but the amount of pressure has dropped drastically. A hit on Bulger has been rare in the past three games. We're still not getting the major push in the run game than we were in 2006, but at least we have been able to get consistent gains on the ground, at times.

So, what can we contribute this to?

Well, first, Romberg seems to be a smart player. He has a much more commanding presence over the line than Leckey could ever imagine having. I don't know if this is just because Romberg is so much better than Leckey, or if he just has the experience and respect of his teammaters. One can only wonder if it is a coincidence that the line is playing such better football after he was reinserted into the lineup ...

We are also starting to get some continuity. Pace, Bell, Romberg, Cogs, and Barron have now played several games together. Greco has filled in nicely ...

Do we really need to make a change at center? Let's see what the last two games show, but I really think Romberg can do the job. Of course, we need to get young at LT, because, at most, Pace may have 2 years left. Hard to tell if Barron slides away when his contract comes up, but RT's aren't that hard to find ...

We have some components on this line that can make it successful. If Setterstrom can come back healthy, it would definitely be a boost to the depth of this unit ...

I can honestly say for the first time in quite some time, that I am not constantly worried that Bulger is going to get his head knocked off everytime he drops back to pass. And it shows in his confidence. Let's hope this group can continue to mature, cut back on penalties, and be a force similar to what they were in 2006 ...

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Improvement on Offensive Line Must Not Go Unnoticed ...

Good post, we all need to remember it is Bell's first year here. Him getting comfortable in our offense might be another reason why the unit has played better.

Starting Lackey over a healthy Rhomberg is just another instance of the Rams coaching staff not being able to judge talent.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Oh yeah and Cogs is certainly not the problem

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Cogs has to go. No doubt about it. I know some of you guys like him, but he is...well...stupid. He keeps getting us penalties. Almost cost us our first win. I'm sorry, but Cogs has to go. Or be benched. Whichever it is, I'm happy.

Overall, the line has played better. However, Romberg is still undersized. I think if we land a massive center in the draft, we will be set. We need to have Romberg teach this kid everything he knows.

richtree is offline Registered User

yeah, we are doing better, but we are one player away from having a shot at having a decent line

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    yeah, we are doing better, but we are one player away from having a shot at having a decent line
    How do you figure? This line we have (Pace, Bell, Romberg, Cogs, Barron) has done what it has the past three games. No reason to believe it cannot continue with this group ...

Long term, we need a replacement for Pace, but other than that, I am finding it hard to believe this line cannot be more than servicable once they mesh, even if we don't add anybody else ...

I assume Bell will put his size back on ...

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Good post. We need to improve the line not simply for now but the future as well. If Romberg is good now, will he hold up next year or beyond, so while I feel we may not need to draft the best C available, we'll need to build for the future, plus depth is always important. Given that we can draft a C in the mid-rounds and still get a player who will be ready for us in a year or 2. I also feel we need a top-notch O-Line coach who will provide some great technique and discipline that is missing from some of our current players (read Cognito and Barron).

The O-Line more than any other unit on the team needs time to play together, that's why it's taken so far into the season for the numbers to reflect what you show. Basically, don't get comfortable just because we've had 3 games where the line has played well, we need 16 games of great play.

Go Rams!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Great post, but I still believe that the offensive line is something we must focus on HEAVILY. We certainly need that an Andre Smith or Michael Oher to come in for us and make things happen fast. They both have monster talent, and will more than likely take a starting role immediately. I am glad that the line has been playing tremendously better but at the same time, it's something I wasn't worried about at the beginning of the season...Who knows with this line, right? If anything, we'll add much needed depth from the draft and free agency.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rambos is offline Registered User

This O line will be blown up. Bell will be the only player that we be long term.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Nice post and thats why I started another post. I wanted to try to fit it in here but I did not no how to and get multiple people to respond to the question. If we add more OL then we need to get rid of some players and that is what I want to understand is who goes if we get Andre Smith and what does the rest of the line look like? Thats why I started a seperate thead to get peoples opinions given certain players. I think if we want ro develop a strength I think OL needs to be our first strength. It helps the QB, WR, TE, RB, and keeps the defense off the field. A good OL can make a not so good team look a lot better. Average RB's & QB's look better then average.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    How do you figure? This line we have (Pace, Bell, Romberg, Cogs, Barron) has done what it has the past three games. No reason to believe it cannot continue with this group ...

Long term, we need a replacement for Pace, but other than that, I am finding it hard to believe this line cannot be more than servicable once they mesh, even if we don't add anybody else ...
    No reason? We've been playing this same group for three years and despite showing moments of quality play, they are at best inconsistent. One of them hasn't consistently been on the field, one of them cannot stand still, one of them can't go one game without getting fined, and the other is undersized.

You want to know why the line looks better? Because Jackson is back on the field. And, we haven't exactly been playing the toughest defenses of late. But even then, they don't dominate games. I want a dominant offensive line. I want to see games like the Panthers had against the Buccs.

So I agree with you that the line has been playing better. But, they always seem to play better at the end of the season. I'd like to see it from day one through week sixteen.

I assume Bell will put his size back on ...
    Not according to the Post-Dispatch interview today. Haslett would like him heavier, but Bell seems to like his current weight.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    You want to know why the line looks better? Because Jackson is back on the field. And, we haven't exactly been playing the toughest defenses of late. But even then, they don't dominate games. I want a dominant offensive line. I want to see games like the Panthers had against the Buccs.
    I have to agree. Is it any coincidence that the O-line looks better since Jackson came back?

The thing is we need an o-line that can make any RB look good and protect the QB consistently.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Well, first, Romberg seems to be a smart player. He has a much more commanding presence over the line than Leckey could ever imagine having. I don't know if this is just because Romberg is so much better than Leckey, or if he just has the experience and respect of his teammaters. One can only wonder if it is a coincidence that the line is playing such better football after he was reinserted into the lineup ...
    Romberg played college football at the University of Miami where he was distinguished as the best center in the nation in 2002 and was awarded the Dave Rimington Trophy. With Romberg at center, the Hurricanes won 35 of 37 games, one National Championship, three BIG EAST Conference championships, a Sugar Bowl and a Rose Bowl.

The guy never seems to get any love because he doesn't weigh 320 or more. Romberg is one guy I hope we keep. I have never been high on Nick Lechey.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post

So I agree with you that the line has been playing better. But, they always seem to play better at the end of the season. I'd like to see it from day one through week sixteen.
    Really? Jackson has made the offensive line pass protect as well as they have the last three games - that's interesting. They have given up 2 sacks, and this is on top of the fact that Jackson is one of the WORST backs I've ever seen in pass protection ...

IIRC, he played in 7 of the other 11 games, games in which the line give up 37 sacks ....

Does Jackson add a boost to the running game? Absolutely, but he has little effect on the pass protection schemes. He's not catching 12 checkdowns a game, as he's only caught 9 passes since returning. He's averaging 3.9 YPC, not much better than what Pittman/Darby were doing. He does change games because of his presence ...

As for the defenses we've played being horrible ....

Cumulatively, they average giving up 107.7 YPG on the ground at a clip of 3.97 YPC ...

Miami is 8th in the league with 37 sacks, Seattle 11th with 30, and Arizona 12th with 29 ...
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -12-19-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Question?

How much of it is actual improvement, and how much of it is that other teams don't see the Rams as a credible threat and are coasting??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast