Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eldfan is offline Registered User

Incognito benched for much of game

Incognito benched for much of game
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/14/2009

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Right guard Richie Incognito let his temper get the best of him Sunday, and this time, it earned him a seat on the bench for the rest of the game.

Starting their second possession at their 3 Sunday against Tennessee, the Rams had pushed their way out to the 32, when Incognito was caught head-butting Titans defensive tackle Sen'Derrick Marks after the whistle on a Steven Jackson run.

The 15-yard penalty pushed the Rams back to their 19, leading to a Donnie Jones punt. Incognito was pulled for the game for one play but returned for the next series.

He didn't keep his cool for long. On the Rams' second series of the second quarter, Incognito again was flagged for a late hit, striking Titans safety Vincent Fuller at the end of a pass play to Kenneth Darby.

That made it two 15-yard penalties by Incognito in less than 1½ quarters. That was enough for coach Steve Spagnuolo, who benched Incognito for the rest of the game, with Mark Setterstrom taking over.

In the season opener against Seattle, Incognito also committed two personal foul penalties but was pulled out of the game for only a handful of plays.

When asked why he benched Incognito against the Titans, Spagnuolo replied: "It's just something I've done. ... I like Richie, I do. I'm trying to help."

When asked what he could do about Incognito's anger management problem, Spagnuolo said, "I'm not sure. It's more about the team right now."

A team that got spanked by Tennessee 47-7 at LP Field.

Incognito made a quick exit from the Rams' locker room Sunday and was not available to comment. By the time reporters left Spagnuolo's postgame news conference, Incognito had left the locker room.

"He claims he's innocent," left guard Jacob Bell said. "So we just have to go back and look at the film. When it starts getting chippy, they're going to look at the guy that they know sometimes causes that kind of stuff.

"So whether he did it or he didn't do it, they're going to throw the flag on him. They calmed things down. You realize, 'Hey, they're going to throw a flag for anything now.' So you need to just be careful and realize that's how it's going."

LINEBACKERS INJURED

Starting weakside linebacker Paris Lenon suffered a hip injury with 7 minutes, 55 seconds to play in the second quarter and did not return. He was replaced by Chris Chamberlain. Meanwhile, starting strongside linebacker David Vobora left with a hyperextended knee and an ankle injury on kickoff coverage in the fourth quarter following the Rams' only touchdown.

Bell suffered a hamstring injury trying to chase down Fuller on his 45-yard interception return for a TD with just under 6 minutes to play in the game.

The extent of all three injuries is uncertain.

SITTING IT OUT

Pregame inactives for St. Louis were OT Jason Smith (concussion), QB Marc Bulger (fractured shin bone), OG Roger Allen III, CB Danny Gorrer, S Clinton Hart, RB Chris Ogbonnaya and OT Phil Trautwein.

:ramlogo:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Incognito benched for much of game

Al: Hey Tom, wake up!

Tom: It's 2:30 in the morning. Who is this?

Al: It's your boss, Al Davis. Hey listen, there's this kid in St. Louis that we just got to have on our team. He's perfect for us!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Mooselini Guest

Wow, that list of injuries is sickening. Someone needs to change the strength and conditioning coach.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Incognito has had more than enough chances. It's time to get rid of this overgrown child once and for all.

We can lose ballgames with good people who will do what is asked and conduct themselves properly; we don't need to lose games with guys who haven't learned anything about poise or self-discipline.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Buh-bye, Richie.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Incognito has had more than enough chances. It's time to get rid of this overgrown child once and for all.

We can lose ballgames with good people who will do what is asked and conduct themselves properly; we don't need to lose games with guys who haven't learned anything about poise or self-discipline.
    I could be incorrect, but a Titans fan at the game brought this up to me, and I could not verify ...

He said that Incognito was not even on the sideline in the second half.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Wow, that list of injuries is sickening. Someone needs to change the strength and conditioning coach.
    Unfortunately, I don't think the hip and knee injuries can be helped by a conditioning guy.

richtree is offline Registered User

And Barron, looked horrible today. He should have been fighting for his over-matched QB, but there he was again, false starts, no timing.

Barron and Cogs seem to be leaving quickly.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

When are we going to cut Incognito?? He is so overdue.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

For the past 4-5 years the O-line has been horrible by all accounts, getting our QB's butchered. The one constant in all of it is 2 lineman that seem to get flagged way to much at the wrong time, & then throw in their below average line play & you have what mounts into a pathetic O-line. Until Devaney & Spags rid St. Louis of these 2 clowns that try & disguise themselves as offensive linemen we will continue to be bottom feeders in the NFL.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Incognito is a liability, and it just about sum's the Rams up that he has constantly hurt an already awful team with needless penalties for how many years?!! Seriously this guy shudn't be anywhere near a field again. Doesn't have a clue..

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I will say it. I have been a big Icognito supporter from the beginning. I loved his big tough physical aggressive play and thought that it was something that we could use more of. Sure he made some bone headed plays before, but it was nice to see that someone on that line actually cared about this team and was fighting for it. I was proud of the fact that he had been playing with a cool head as of late, and was being physical without being an idiot.

And then he goes out and headbutts a guy........Not to much I can say to defend the guy here. As much as I like him, I think he's going to be playing somewhere else next year. As much as that hurts me to say, we need to get rid of him. I can deal with the 15 yard penalties every once in a while when your trying to protect your team, but this is just uncalled for. Bye Bye Richie. See you somewhere else next year.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I love his passion, but he's shown too many times he can't control it. I really don't see him around after this year. Maybe we can at least get a decent draft pick for him though, I'm sure the Raiders would be interested

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I will:

Miss Richie's intensity and solid run blocking, and his huge frame.

I will not:

Miss his stupid errors and dumb actions that cost us so many yards and ruins precious momentum.

I want us to draft a big, physical RG to replace Incognito, a guy that has a similar frame to give Jackson the same amount of push.

I would consider Mike Iupati out of Idaho. That guy is a monster, and a better pass blocker than Richie too. He's also a lot smarter.

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

This guy is a clown with no sense at all, what a idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast