RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Incognito clarifies statement on Rams fans

Incognito clarifies statement on Rams fans

Lineman is just excited to play in front of large crowd

BY STEVE KORTE - News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS -- "Come hither," said St. Louis Rams right guard Richie Incognito as he motioned with his arms for reporters to gather around his locker Friday.

Incognito issued a clarification -- not an apology -- to Rams fans over his comments Thursday welcoming Chicago Bears fans this Sunday to the Edward Jones Dome.

"Yesterday, I was not trying to take a shot at Rams fans," Incognito said. "That's the last thing I'm trying to do. I fully understand that this team has not given a single St. Louis Ram fan a single thing to cheer about. I understand where we are at this season.

"All I was trying to say was we were going to have Chicago fans coming down. There's going to be a lot of them, they get excited for their football team, they get excited to come to the game. In turn, they're coming to the game brings a football atmosphere that I am used to, and it gets me excited."

Incognito said he gets excited in the same way when the Rams visit an opponents' stadium.

"We go into Philly and we have guys telling us, 'You stink,' and more calling for worse," Incognito said. "That gets me excited to play great football, and that gets me excited to go out there and get a win and keep them quiet."

A large invasion of Bears fans is expected Sunday at the Dome. The same thing happened in 2006 against the Bears, and in 2007 against the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers.

"The fact of the matter is that it doesn't matter who is in the stands, our fans, Chicago fans -- we need all the support we can to get some wins around and we have to get some things turned around," Incognito said.

"The Chicago fans are coming down, and they're going to bring a buzz into the dome. They're going to get it excited. Anything beyond that -- I don't want to sound cliche -- was taken the wrong way."

Rams coach Jim Haslett said he had a talk with Incognito about his remarks that created a stir among fans in light of the team's 2-8 record.

"I don't think he means anything by it," Haslett said. "He wants us to win the game, that's No. 1. He wants fans to be loud and support us."

Haslett said he thought Incognito's comments would be inappropriate even if the Rams had a winning record this season.

"I think it's bad to say when you're 8-2, to be honest with you," Haslett said. "These fans are awesome. I think it is a great place. I've said this before, I love this city, I think they are great fans here. They'll support this team. Obviously, I would be disappointed, too, when we're 2-8. I'd have a hard time coming out and watching also probably."

Haslett said he remembers how disruptive the fans at the Edward Jones Dome can be for visiting teams from his days as the coach of the New Orleans Saints.

"I remember when I came here coaching before how hard it was to play because of the fans.

"Obviously, we were playing a good football, and we're struggling right now, but we need our fans. I know there are loyal fans out there who come to support us. I know how hard it is to play here when they're playing well and the place is rocking."

Haslett said there are more teams in the NFL who have large traveling parties of fans than there used to be.

"That's kind of a trend in the NFL right now," Haslett said. "You have teams in bigger cities and bigger markets who have a great drawing and a great following and they get tickets. That's just how it is. That happens at a lot of places.

"I'm not worried about what happens in the stands. I'm worried about what happens on the field. That's the most important thing for us."

Rams wide receiver Torry Holt declined to comment on Incognito's statements.

"He said what he said, and he'll have to deal with that," Holt said. "But, I will say this, and I have been saying it for years: If you want the crowd to be involved, if you want them to excited, then we as a football team have to give them something to get excited about."

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Incognito clarifies statement on Rams fans

Haslett said. "You have teams in bigger cities and bigger markets who have a great drawing and a great following and they get tickets.
    Such as those megalopolises of Pittsburgh & Green Bay, yes?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

blood85 is offline Registered User

He shouldn't have to apologize for anything......as much as I hate some of the stupid things he does. Think about it, would packer fans, pittspuke fans etc sell their tickets to 30,000 of the opposing team fans??? HELL NO!!!

blood85 is offline Registered User

When was the last time you saw , say 20,000 of the opposing fans in Dallas, Washington, Pitt, Oakland, Philly, etc???? Come on man, maybe some of our STL fans are weak......even if we do have a pathetic product. The aforementioned teams, HAVEN'T always been good. Come on STL fans, suck it up.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    When was the last time you saw , say 20,000 of the opposing fans in Dallas, Washington, Pitt, Oakland, Philly, etc???? Come on man, maybe some of our STL fans are weak......even if we do have a pathetic product. The aforementioned teams, HAVEN'T always been good. Come on STL fans, suck it up.
    This year. There were about 30,000 Steelers fans in FedEx Field during that MNF game the Steelers and Redskins played.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Such as those megalopolises of Pittsburgh & Green Bay, yes?
    But you have to admit, teams such as these pretty much have the major sports markets cornered in their cities. I have little to no knowledge of Baseball, but when was the last time you heard of the Pittsburgh Pirates being successful?

St. Louis is, and probably always will be, a Baseball dominated city.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    But you have to admit, teams such as these pretty much have the major sports markets cornered in their cities. I have little to no knowledge of Baseball, but when was the last time you heard of the Pittsburgh Pirates being successful?

St. Louis is, and probably always will be, a Baseball dominated city.
    Completely agreed. The Pirates are a minor league team, and the Green Bay Fighting Ice Fishers Curling Team is the only other major franchise in "the frozen tundra".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

I wish somebody would move us back to L.A where we belong

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    I wish somebody would move us back to L.A where we belong
    LA doesn't want this team. They'll just send us to Oklahoma City or something.

Holt summed it up though. We need something to cheer about. Bad. I'm sick of the losing. When we won that game against Washington, I know alot of us got on our feet and were ready to scream and cheer for our Rams.

Then we managed to beat the Cowboys the very next week. Even more excitement! Then we go toe to toe with a GOOD Patriots team. I was shocked that we played so well against them. We were still cheering.

What happened? Did they lose motivation or something over a hard faught loss?

Then they start getting killed again and we lost all hope on the season.

Therefore we do not want to cheer...