RamWraith is offline Registered User

Incognito hopes to go against Cardinals

Center is dealing with an injured foot
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat
    ST. LOUIS - Center Richie Incognito was listed as probable on the St. Louis Rams' injury report for their game against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday.

Incognito, who has a sprained right foot, was able to practice Wednesday.

"My foot feels good," Incognito said. "Everything checked out fine, and it felt fine during practice today. I hit the ground running real well. Pass blocking and run blocking went real well today."

The foot injury forced Incognito to the sideline twice during the Rams' 20-17 win over the San Francisco ***** on Sunday.

Incognito left the game briefly in the second quarter. He continued playing until aggravating the foot injury with 11:40 left in the third quarter. He would sit out the rest of the game.

Incognito had an MRI on his foot Monday.

"Nothing showed up on the MRI, so it's a pain tolerance thing," Rams coach Scott Linehan said of Incogntio's foot. "He should be fine. He actually had very little problem with it in practice today."

Brett Romberg filled in for Incognito on Sunday. It was the most extensive playing time Romberg has seen in four seasons since coming out of the University of Miami.

"It was great," Romberg said. "It's almost like you get in a lull if you haven't played in a long time. You know you have a role on the football team, but you're kind of out of the mix a little when you're not a starter."

Romberg said his wife, Emily, started contacting friends and family members when he got into the game.

"My wife was in the stands calling and text messaging everybody," Romberg said. "She was actually sitting with Richie's family, and his family was as excited for me as my wife was."

Romberg was a highly decorated player in college, earning consensus All-American honors and receiving the Dave Remington Award as the nation's top center as a senior, but he's had a hard time breaking into the NFL. He's considered a little undersized at 6-foot-2, 298 pounds.

"I've always been kind of labeled as a smaller guy, and size is always going to be a factor with me," Romberg said. "The only thing that keeps me going is all the other centers that are doing a very good job like (Denver's) Tom Nalen and (Tennessee's) Kevin Mawae. Those aren't humongous guys."

Nalen goes 6-foot-3, 286 pounds, while Mawae goes 6-foot-4, 289 pounds.

Defensive end Victor Adeyanju, who has a broken right forearm, and linebacker Isaiah Kacyvenski, who has a concussion, both were listed as officially out against the Cardinals.

Right guard Adam Timmerman (ribs) and fullback Paul Smith (hamstring) were questionable, while quarterback Marc Bulger (ribs), cornerback Tye Hill (thigh) and defensive lineman Claude Wroten (hamstring) were probable.

"We're a little bit more banged up than we have been," Linehan said. "We had to limit a number of players today in practice at times. You've got to manage that. It's that time of the year."

Roster moves

The Rams signed two players, linebacker Jamal Brooks and Jeremy Parquet, to their active roster. They also signed defensive end Tyler King to their practice squad.

To make room on their roster, the Rams released tackle Adam Haayer and cornerback Chidi Iwuoma. Running back Fred Russell was released from the practice squad.

Brooks spent the first five games with the Rams this season before being released on Oct. 10. He played in four games, tallying three tackles and half a sack on defense and three tackles on special teams.

The 6-foot-6, 333-pound Parquet was drafted in the seventh round of the 2005 NFL draft by the Kansas City Chiefs. The Southern Mississippi product was active for two games last season with the Chiefs, but he saw no action.

The 6-foot-5, 255-pound King was signed by the Arizona Cardinals as an undrafted free agent out of the University of Connecticut. He spent the entire 2005 season on the Cardinals' practice squad.

Coach of the Week

Mater Dei coach Ray Kauling has been chosen as the Rams' High School Coach of the Week.

Kauling guided the Knights (11-3) to the championship game of the Class 4A playoffs, beating Mascoutah 7-0 in the semifinal round and lost to Addison Driscoll 35-0 in the title game.

Kauling is the third metro-east coach to receive the award this season, joining Alton's Joe Hook and Mascoutah's Terry Moeller. He'll receive $1,000 donation to the Knights' football program, a Coach of the Week hat and tickets to a Rams home game.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Incognito hopes to go against Cardinals

Not that I ever want Incognito injured or missing time on the field. I must say what an exciting time for the kid Romberg and his family....Awesome