RamWraith is offline Registered User

Incognito: “I apologize”

11.26.2008 3:50 pm

"Around the Horns"
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Embattled Rams guard Richie Incognito finally has uttered the words that incensed Rams fans have been awaiting: “I apologize.”

Incognito criticized the hometown faithful last week before Sunday’s game, asserting that they don’t know “how to cheer” or “when to cheer.” He dialed up the heat even more when, after the 27-3 loss to the Bears, he paused before heading into the tunnel to the locker room and encouraged the jeering fans to pour on the abuse.

After practice Wednesday at Rams Park, Incognito sought to make peace.

“I just want to apologize to the frustrated fans out there,” he said. “It was wrong, what I said. I said they don’t know how to cheer and when to cheer, which is definitely wrong. We’re not giving them much to cheer about. So, I apologize to the fans. I really want to put this behind me. We can’t really have any more distractions. We’re trying to win some ballgames to keep (coach Jim) Haslett, and I think that’s where our focus needs to be.”

Incognito said he understood the fans’ unhappiness with him. “We’re a 2-9 team, and you’ve got some unproven guy on the team saying the fans don’t know how to cheer or when to cheer,” he said. “So obviously it’s going to stir up some controversy.”

Incognito explained that his exasperation over the sour season probably prompted his outburst. “I guess it’s me just being frustrated, mostly,” he said. “But really, it’s uncalled for, and it’s just taking away from the focus that we need to be putting in to prepare to win. . . . I really appreciate our fans’ support. I really do not want to take a shot at them. It was a deal where I talked a little too much.”

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

*QB Marc Bulger (concussion) passed his neuro exam Wednesday morning and took virtually all the first-team snaps in practice. Bulger estimated his chances of playing Sunday vs. the Dolphins at 99 percent.

*LT Orlando Pace (knee) returned to practice after missing Sunday’s game. Haslett said he expects Pace to start Sunday.

*RB Steven Jackson (thigh) took just under half the reps during 11-on-11 team drills. The plan is to step up his work Thursday and then see if he can get in a full practice Friday before returning to game action Sunday.

*LB Will Witherspoon (shoulders) practiced, but rookie David Vobora also took some snaps with the first unit.

*DE Eric Moore (neck) got in limited work.

*WR Keenan Burton sat out after having his surgically repaired knee drained. He is expected to practice Thursday.

*Newly signed LB Larry Grant and C Cory Withrow practiced for the first time with their new team.

All for now . . .

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Re: Incognito: “I apologize”

Richie thanks for the apologize, but please keep in mind we are all frustrated. That's what 2-9 will do to you. Here's to you and your team mates keeping focused the rest of the season.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Reminds me of something my high school coach posted:

"A winner says 'I'm sorry' and then makes up for it. A loser says 'I'm sorry', then does the same thing the next time."

I will not believe Incognito is contrite until he can keep his mouth shut and play intelligent football for more than a few plays at a time.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
    Richie thanks for the apologize, but please keep in mind we are all frustrated. That's what 2-9 will do to you. Here's to you and your team mates keeping focused the rest of the season.
    Well said, BBlue. So true.

NJRF1, you have an excellent point and poster from you HS past. Let's hope, as BBlue said, the Rams will keep focused the rest of the season. Right now we are bordering too close between focused and fragile.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    11.26.2008 3:50 pm
    *LB Will Witherspoon (shoulders) practiced, but rookie David Vobora also took some snaps with the first unit.
    This is interesting. IF Vobora is going to start, we will find out what "Mr. Irrelavent" is capable of. Being buddy's with Chris Long, hopefully he plays with the same fire.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

This is a touching post.

I really feel the apology. Richie, we're all upset and frustrated. I have never been so upset at this team. The fans are frustrated, so are the players, coaches and front office.

At this point, all we can do is finish out the season.

To Richie...play your damn heart out. Show us the fire and unleash it on the field. Do that, even if it results in a loss, as long as we see the effort, some of us will be happy.

Not too happy, but happy to see the team show effort.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I still do not link his comments with his playing ability. He said something, it pissed me off, he apologized, so now I'm cool with it.

I am sure that I have said a thing or two that I thought the better of later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]