.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Incognito Recovering Well

Incognito Recovering Well
    Monday, March 20, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

It has been almost three years since Richie Incognito last played in a football game. On Monday, he took an important step toward getting back on the field when he showed up for the beginning of the Rams’ offseason conditioning program.

Although the program is “voluntary” it is well known that participation is strongly encouraged. But Incognito didn’t need much in the way of prodding. His long absence from the field, an absence caused by disciplinary problems and injuries, is coming close to an end.

“The knee is feeling strong, the leg is feeling strong,” Incognito said. “Everything is feeling good. I am getting real close to 100 percent. I am moving around. My main focus when I was down in Arizona training was just to get strong again and gain strength so when I start moving around and getting closer back to 100 percent.”

It’s no wonder that Incognito is getting antsy to put the pads on, get on the field and participate in actual contact drills. Since his final appearance in college way back in 2003, Incognito has had nothing but obstacles keeping him from getting to the field.

After attempting to transfer from Nebraska to Oregon and being unable to fulfill that desire, Incognito ended up declaring for the NFL Draft after sitting out his junior year.

Incognito appeared back on the right track with an impressive workout at the NFL combine, but suffered a serious injury to his right knee just before the draft. That injury on top of the questions about his off the field incidents led to Incognito’s slipping to the third round.

The Rams scooped him up with the 81st pick in the draft and stashed him on the roster while holding out hope that he might be able to make it back to the game at some point during the season.

Incognito spent most of his time working out near his home in Arizona in an effort to rehabilitate and get on the field. Of course, none of it mattered until he signed a contract with the Rams.

A lengthy contract stalemate finally ended on Sept. 29, when Incognito agreed to a contract with the team. He was put on the injured reserve/non-football injury list soon after signing. That move allowed him additional time to recover and still hold out hopes of contributing without having to eat up a roster spot.

Finally, on Oct. 20, Incognito put on the pads and participated in practice. But Incognito pushed a little too far on that day, including a small scuffle with Tyoka Jackson. It was the first and last time he practiced during the season. He was placed on injured reserve in November, ending his season.

The inability to be on the field has been difficult for Incognito while he rehabs.

“It’s hard coming in, especially in your rookie year, first getting here, getting acclimated to the NFL lifestyle and then being hurt and rehabbing and not being out on the field, it’s killer,” Incognito said.

As Incognito nears that full health checkpoint, he has made some important strides. He arrived at Rams Park on Monday noticeably slimmer than he was when he first reported. He has dropped his weight from around 320 pounds down to around 295.

While that weight loss might seem significant, Incognito said he has played anywhere from 270 pounds up to around 325 in the past. He would like to remain in that range when he takes the field and says it should help his knee improve.

“The thought about that was to take some weight off and take pressure off the knee to try to get things moving again a little bit,” Incognito said.

In addition to coming back in good shape, Incognito got his first opportunity to meet with the new coaching staff. Incognito said there were no problems with his decision to work out in Arizona and he enjoyed his meeting with the new staff.

The previous coaching staff had originally slotted Incognito as the heir apparent at center and that still seems like a possibility, but Incognito said the discussion he has had with the new staff indicate he could be looked at as a guard or a center.

Considering the surgeries of right guard Adam Timmerman and center Andy McCollum in the past two offseasons, Incognito’s time could come sooner than later if he shows the same ability and strength on the field that he did three years ago when he last played.

“(My) goals set are to earn a starting spot and if not a starting spot then a lot of playing time,” Incognito said. “Really, at first just learning everything, getting in there and getting in the mix and hopefully contending for a starting spot.”

Incognito said he will be ready to go in time for the April 21-23 mini-camp and expects to pick up from there and never look back.

“It’s all I have been thinking about,” Incognito said. “It’s all I have been thinking about rehabbing, it’s all I have been thinking about all offseason. I am ready to put the pads on and get going and crack some heads.”

AugustaRamFan Guest

Re: Incognito Recovering Well

This seems like particularly good news!!! We have now heard the latest on Mr. Incognito - sure sounds good to me. Let's hope he stays healthy and asserts himself as major cog in the O-line.

Ask and Ye shall receive.

RamsFan16 Guest

Its been 3 YEARS since he last played a football game? Lets hope he remembers how to play football.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Is it just me or does he sound like a bit of a head case?

Rambos is offline Registered User

What makes you think that?

Scidog68 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe
    Isn't that just an accepted fact?

Last years "WTF?!?" moment produced phrases such as, "...problem child..." and "... lost cause..." in addition to "head case".

Oh well. We shall see......

Hey Rambos,

I realize I am quick to judge sometimes, but this is what I read through the article.

He transfers schools, and then can't play for a year.

He gets impatient and declares himself for the draft.

He does well in the combine, but hurts himself before the draft. (The article doesn't say how he hurt himself but alludes to outside activities.)

Then he gets picked up by the Rams and holds out.

He comes back a little too early and gets hurt again.

He also scuffles with Jackson, a veteran, in practice and is put on injured reserve.

I don't know, he just appears to be giving T.O. or Janakowski a run for their money at an early time in his career.

But that's just me spinning my wooden wheels...:smoke:

Joe

Sanantonioram Guest

Exclamation Re: Incognito Recovering Well

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe
    Hey Rambos,

I realize I am quick to judge sometimes, but this is what I read through the article.

He transfers schools, and then can't play for a year.

He gets impatient and declares himself for the draft.

He does well in the combine, but hurts himself before the draft. (The article doesn't say how he hurt himself but alludes to outside activities.)

Then he gets picked up by the Rams and holds out.

He comes back a little too early and gets hurt again.

He also scuffles with Jackson, a veteran, in practice and is put on injured reserve.

I don't know, he just appears to be giving T.O. or Janakowski a run for their money at an early time in his career.

But that's just me spinning my wooden wheels...:smoke:

Joe
    He hurt himself at the combine, doing mirror drills. You heard it here first. This guy will be a dominate lineman in the NFL. What you mistake for "head case" is attitude which is EXACTLY what you want your OL to have going against some of those big nasties on the DL. I'm glad we got him and I can't wait to see him produce!!!

majorram is offline Registered User

I say something reading through that article we have got ourselves a NASTY OL men there!!!

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think Andy McCollum and Adam Timmerman should take the Cog out for a few dozen donuts and talk to him about what it takes to be a successful NFL lineman. From all accounts, Cog has the talent and the mean-streak, but needs a bit of maturity. The two old-dogs of the line should be able to help him with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanantonioram
    He hurt himself at the combine, doing mirror drills. You heard it here first. This guy will be a dominate lineman in the NFL. What you mistake for "head case" is attitude which is EXACTLY what you want your OL to have going against some of those big nasties on the DL. I'm glad we got him and I can't wait to see him produce!!!

Yes only time will tell. In the mean time I think Kyle Turley will save our defense and Lawerence Phillips will be a great replacement for Marshall Faulk....

LOL

Rambos is offline Registered User

I thought he came across as being cocky and confident in his abilities. He’s going to need to be an aggressive and ready to work hard. I think he was just tried of not playing football for the last few years, that’s why he a getting impatience. I have read that his rehabbing was not going as well as the Rams wanted at times. I was shocked to read he in this kind of shape, sounds like he has been working hard and getting ready.

I think for us this is like getting two 3rd round picks this year and maybe a big time steel in the draft.

MoonJoe I’m hoping this guy has had time to grow up and get ready to play some football, he can have a hugh impact if he can get it together, lets hope he does.

Shadesofgrey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I think Andy McCollum and Adam Timmerman should take the Cog out for a few dozen donuts and talk to him about what it takes to be a successful NFL lineman. From all accounts, Cog has the talent and the mean-streak, but needs a bit of maturity. The two old-dogs of the line should be able to help him with that.
    Cog...Dude, you keep refering to him like that and for sure he'll be nasty

I hope he has matured too Rambos, it just seems a little quirky. And believe me, I am wrong way more times than right so there is hope!

Joe

bigredman Guest

I'm actually encouraged by this news. I earlier thought the guy was lazy and just cashing a pay check, but if he is sincere about battling for a starting position (and the weight loss would indicate that he is), I am optimistic.