View Poll Results: Who Wins the Starting Center Position?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brett Romberg

10 18.87%
  • Richie Incognito

43 81.13%
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Incognito V. Romberg

Incognito and Romberg are soon to duke it out man to man in a Goliath V. Goliath battle for the starting center position.

So I wonder: Early in the ball game, who do you think will win?

My money is on Incognito to take out the title and be back home before breakfast.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Incognito V. Romberg

ill take cogs almost any day of the week.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I wonder if the coaches have a preference. Cogs certainly has a size advantage over Romberg, but will he be as good as Romberg at making the correct line calls in Saunder's new offense? The one advantage to having Cogs win out at center most apparent to me, is that Setterstrom would then step in at guard rather than being a backup. Bell, Richie, and Setterstrom in the middle with Pace and Barron as bookends could end up being a formidable line. If Cogs were to get dinged, Romberg could certainly fill in adequately at center. Hopefully our new line recruits (John G. and Roy S.) will show enough in camp to back up both guard spots and right tackle. We'll find out soon enough.

As to which guy wins, I certainly don't know enough about either to make that prediction. I wouldn't count Romberg out though, the guy is a battler and is hungry to hang on to his job as a starter. Right now Romberg is the "Champ", and Incognito has to unseat him ...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Incognito is the bigger guy. He will win because he's a monster and very aggressive. If he works on his temper and becomes less hot headed, he will be a good center in the NFL.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I think Incognito will win that matchup. I think it's clear that the coaches have very little confidence in Romberg, look at how he was signed (waited quite a bit then got a lousy 1 year deal) - they clearly think Setterstrom and Incognito are our future players and not Romberg and they want to find a way to have them both on the field at the same time.

I would prefer to play Incognito at guard though, I think that's the position where he can make the most difference. But I can see how the numbers don't add up so well with him at guard since Setterstrom is also better at guard with no experience as a center (where Incognito has some) so I see the logic of putting Incognito at center and also having Setterstrom on the field at the same time.

It will be very interesting to see the entire O-line competing for playing time this season. We seem to have a lot of young players with great potential that have yet to really break through and make a name for themselves and we have 3 spots on the line (the 2 excluded being LT and LG) up for grabs - someone is going to step up this year, at least 1 player, and nail a starting position for years to come.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    I think Incognito will win that matchup. I think it's clear that the coaches have very little confidence in Romberg, look at how he was signed (waited quite a bit then got a lousy 1 year deal) - they clearly think Setterstrom and Incognito are our future players and not Romberg and they want to find a way to have them both on the field at the same time.
    Good point about the Rams taking their time to sign him. Correct me if I am wrong, but during that "long wait" there were 31 other teams that could have obtained his services yet all of them passed .. Clearly he wasn't in great demand. However, Brett has played well for us when healthy so we'll see. The coaches would probably prefer to have both Cogs and Setts on the field at the same time, but Cogs will have to prove he deserves to be the starting center, by earning the job in camp and pre-season. I can't help but wonder how much sway (if any) Marc Bulger has when it comes down to the final selection ..

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Cogs is in a contract year he is going to have to show some maturity ans step at center. He has more than some experience it is his natural position and where he started off in the league at. I have 2 problems with him at center can he control his aggression and more importantly how will do making the crucial line calls.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I like Incognito, bigger & stronger.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

sorry brett, even though your reppin the U, im gonna have to go cogs on this one
    Built RAM tough

RealRam is offline Registered User

Poll wise, yes, Cog would win.

However, I voted Romberg because as I've mentioned before (and sorry for the repetition here), I'm hoping Brett plays starting center which yields Richie's body as a needed OL at guard. Besides, BR did his due and earned the job; I think he can handle it well. I'd prefer him there and RI as the versatile G/C.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Okay, so consider this: Say Romberg wins out in training camp.

Does Incognito return to his starting position at right guard? Is the battle then on between he and Setterstrom? Or is he relegated to everyman backup duties?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Physically, Cogs wins hands down. However, Romberg has a large experience advantage. So it comes down to what kind of student Cogs is. If he jumps in the playbook and masters all the line calls, it's his to lose.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Is Incognito competing for the center job? If so, who's going to play RG?

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I believe that would be our boy Setterstrom.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".