Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Indy just won, Rams in contention for 1st pick!

Jinx is offline Registered User

Re: Indy just won, Rams in contention for 1st pick!

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    How is the 1st pick a good thing for the Rams. It only means we will have to pay more money for Blackmon/Kalil. And Indy takes Luck with the 2nd pick.
    Err, no, as there's bound to be multiple teams that want Luck and would be willing to trade quite a bit to get that #1 pick.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

How is the 1st pick a good thing for the Rams. It only means we will have to pay more money for Blackmon/Kalil. And Indy takes Luck with the 2nd pick.
    I'd have thought it would be pretty likely, that some team could try and leapfrog Indy.?? It seem's plausible to me. Especially with all the fuss, Im hearing about the guy.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

MelloStang is offline Registered User

I wonder if Manning is praying they win next week and miss the 1st pick

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

I fail to understand (still) this mentality that losing is great because we can get a better draft position. I hear what you are saying, but I can't quite wrap my hands around it....
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

MelloStang is offline Registered User

When the season is already over winning just hurts your draft position thats all it mean. But losing sucks on any level. I always hope for a win and expect a loss this year. The team has me trained well.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Mr

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    I fail to understand (still) this mentality that losing is great because we can get a better draft position. I hear what you are saying, but I can't quite wrap my hands around it....
    It's like the difference of being able to draft a Sam Bradford(#1) or a Jason Smith(#2). One was almost a sure thing and the other was a huge reach. The value this year in having the overall #1 pick as opposed to later is big right now because Luck is getting a lot of hype, much more than Bradford did. Teams will pay big to get Luck.....won't pay nearly as much for the 2nd or 3rd picks.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MelloStang View Post
    I wonder if Manning is praying they win next week and miss the 1st pick
    If Manning is healthy, he has zero to worry about with Luck or anyone else. Devaney thought Leaf was a better choice than Manning so maybe I am highly overestimating NFL GM's, but the Colts have a ton invested in Manning and a lot of holes that trading the #1 overall pick would help start filling up quickly.

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    To me, this is hardly something to gloat over, especially given our recent draft history. NOBODY is giving up 3 or 4 future 1st round picks for Luck or any player, for that matter. Indianapolis showed some pride in winning this game- and in the process silenced the legions of moronic fans out there who suggest a team tank games for the benefit of a higher draft pick. I suggest we as fans show the same type of pride in hoping our team wins the next two weeks- as unlikely as that may be.
    Hopefully there will be a new group in that draft room.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Err, no, as there's bound to be multiple teams that want Luck and would be willing to trade quite a bit to get that #1 pick.
    Really? Multiple teams willing to trade into the #1 spot? Because that has happened exactly one time in the past 13 years.

But, HUb, you don't understand....Luck is different. He's once-in-a-lifetime. He'll be a 2-time All Pro by the end of his rookie year. He's going to pass for 2,000 yards in his first game. The team that drafts him are guaranteed to win at least 8 games because the opposing team will be too afraid to show up. His tears cure cancer. He invented the internet. Etc., etc., etc........

No, Luck is no different. Listen closely: Andrew Luck is exactly the same as Sam Bradford, Matt Stafford, JaMarcus Russell, Alex Smith, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, David Carr, Michael Vick, Tim Couch, Peyton Manning, Drew Bledsoe, Jeff George, Troy Aikman, Vinny Testaverde, etc.....

Which is to say, he's the top QB in a draft class. Maybe he makes it, maybe he doesn't. NFL executives understand this concept; and the chances that any NFL team (much less multiple teams) sells the farm to the Rams to draft Luck is minimal at best.

Losing is never good.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Look at what atl gave up to get julio I can't wait to see what teams give up for a qb. Not saying it will be four first rounders but it might be two and a 2nd. And teams are more willing to trade up now because of the rookie salary cap. In past years teams were to afraid to bust on so much money.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Jinx is offline Registered User

Not necessarily the farm, but with multiple teams in apparent need of a franchise QB, and Luck being hyped as just that, it wouldn't surprise me if a lucrative offer was presented to whoever has the #1 pick. Having said that, I do entirely agree with you that losing is never good. I'd love it if the Rams pulled off a win or two here at the end of the season, as unlikely as it may be.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Well, look at it this way then. The Rams have absolutely zero chance of winning the next 2 games no matter how hard they try. 2-14 is a lock. We are just rooting for the Colts and the Vikings to win. Problem solved.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

Losing happens so much to us, im numb to it, i just want us to get blackmon and if we can get some extra #1's, even better....
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Well Charlie Batch is starting, if we can get a pick six or two, then we might have a chance of winning with pride.

emuen is offline Registered User

Really? Multiple teams willing to trade into the #1 spot? Because that has happened exactly one time in the past 13 years.

But, HUb, you don't understand....Luck is different. He's once-in-a-lifetime. He'll be a 2-time All Pro by the end of his rookie year. He's going to pass for 2,000 yards in his first game. The team that drafts him are guaranteed to win at least 8 games because the opposing team will be too afraid to show up. His tears cure cancer. He invented the internet. Etc., etc., etc........

No, Luck is no different. Listen closely: Andrew Luck is exactly the same as Sam Bradford, Matt Stafford, JaMarcus Russell, Alex Smith, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, David Carr, Michael Vick, Tim Couch, Peyton Manning, Drew Bledsoe, Jeff George, Troy Aikman, Vinny Testaverde, etc.....

Which is to say, he's the top QB in a draft class. Maybe he makes it, maybe he doesn't. NFL executives understand this concept; and the chances that any NFL team (much less multiple teams) sells the farm to the Rams to draft Luck is minimal at best.

Losing is never good.
    Only flaw in that logic is that for 12 of those 13 years there wasn't a rookie cap, which made it really expensive also to sign the 1st overall pick.
    The only year not accounted for is when the Panthers really needed a QB themselves and drafted Newton.
    With Luck being (over)hyped this has ended up with the 1st overall pick being worth more then all of those 13 drafts

It won't matter, however, because Rams are gonna crush Whiners in week 17!
    THOLTFAN81 and GolfnRAMFAN like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast