HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Ineffective running game???

I'm not sure where the notion is coming from that our running game has been so blatently ineffective that Martz has to pass on 80% of the plays as he did against the 'aints. Our running game is 7th in yards per attempt at 4.7 yards per carry. We are one of only five teams that have no runs for more than 20 yards. (Translation: there aren't a couple of 60,70, or 80 yard anomaly runs skewing that yards per carry average.) Yet we are dead last in runs per game. And we have the lowest run-pass ratio in the NFL. Why must our run-pass ratio be so low?

Some teams that are traditional passing teams, like Green Bay (who run 45.9% of the time, 3.9 ypc) you can understand. Or teams like Dallas (36.3%, 4.0 ypc) & Cincinnati (41.5%, 3.8 ypc), who are new-found passing teams. For that matter, there are the teams that are forced to pass more because of suspect RBs like Arizona (42.0%, 3.3 ypc), Philly (37.3%, 4.6 ypc), Miami (38.5%, 2.1 ypc), Tampa (35.2%, 3.5 ypc) or Detroit (43.7%, 3.5 ypc).

And yet, with Faulk & Jackson and their combined 4.7 ypc (which is higher than every team mentioned above), we run less (34.5%) than any of them.

Again I ask, why are we not running the ball?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Ineffective running game???

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    We are one of only five teams that have no runs for more than 20 yards. (Translation: there aren't a couple of 60,70, or 80 yard anomaly runs skewing that yards per carry average.)
    What is skewing that yards per carry average, though, is the game against Arizona, a team that ranks dead last in the league in rush defense (180.7, 32nd) and is among the worst in average yards per carry against (5.3, 29th) after three weeks.

Looking at the last two games, we're averaging only 3.0 yards per carry from Faulk and Jackson, which isn't good at all. We were slightly better against the Saints, but not good enough to make me feel very confident in our running game.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

moklerman is offline Registered User

What get's overlooked all the time are the intangibles that rushing "attempts" bring into the equation. Does any defense in the league think that the Rams are actually going to run the ball? No, which makes it that much more difficult to pass. Obviously, the yardage is nice but the scoreboard is what really matters and the Rams aren't scoring points that well.

Against 2 of the weaker defenses in the league the Rams averaged just 21 points. What's worse is that the Saints are giving up 170 yards per game rushing and the Rams didn't put any effort into exploiting that weakness. There are REASONS, more important than yardage, for running the football. For the Rams, nice, long, sustained drives that keep the defense off the field would be very helpful right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Looking at the last two games, we're averaging only 3.0 yards per carry from Faulk and Jackson, which isn't good at all. We were slightly better against the Saints, but not good enough to make me feel very confident in our running game.
    Over the past two games:
    Faulk 24 carries for 64 yards (2.7 ypc)
    Jackson 5 carries for 25 yards (5.0 ypc)

I would say this serves Avenger's Jacksonite argument more than why we run the ball less than any team in the NFL.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I doubt Jackson would have had much more success had the numbers of carries been reversed, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I think the Arizona game spoiled us into thinking that we had our running game back. Little did we know...
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

moklerman is offline Registered User

I would say this serves Avenger's Jacksonite argument more than why we run the ball less than any team in the NFL.
    Oh really? Do those stats take into account the goal line carries that Faulk has? With so few attempts, a goal line attempt or two is going to bring his average down. Does it take into account the situations Jackson carries the ball? I know he had a run where he rattled off 8 or 9 yards against the Saints where he was the second option. Saints keyed on Faulk, gave Jackson an easy run.

Never mind. Faulk is done. Put him on special teams coverage so we can at least get something out of him.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Since when is 10-12 carries a yardstick by which you determine the running game isnt gonna work? By these standards perhaps ONE CARRY would be a determinate factor. These running stats are a joke. This is a RECURRING THEME in nearly EVERY RAMS LOSS in recent years...NEGELCT THE RUN AND LOSE. What an 'offensive genius'.

Fargo is right. We can't run the ball a dozen times per game and say it doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    What is skewing that yards per carry average, though, is the game against Arizona
    Here's another way to look at it:

Arizona's run defense against:
    NE + Atl = 5.1 ypc
    Rams = 5.9 ypc

Atlanta's run defense against:
    SF + Ari = 3.1 ypc
    Rams = 2.0 ypc
    The 'cons shut us down. That I'll stipulate.

New Orleans' run defense against:
    Sea + SF = 4.5 ypc
    Rams = 5.2 ypc

Our opponents combined run defense against:
    their other opponents = 4.4 ypc
    the Rams = 4.7 ypc

The Falcons were the only team to hold us to less ypc than their other opponents. I don't think the Arizona game is skewing our ypc numbers. We're running better than other teams regardless of the defense.

Which brings me back to my original thought....Martz, buddy, pal, please run the ball more than you have been. I'm begging you.