Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 2 Post By MauiRam
  • 1 Post By live4ramin
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: The "Inert" man

Question The "Inert" man

The "Inert" man

This is not meant as a criticism of Coach Fisher, this is an observation of both him and the Rams fans.

How often have I read on this and other boards (is there any?) about how fervent our coach is or if he is, why does he not show it, or why is he showing his passion like that on the side-lines?
    I have watched Fisher and to say he is “inanimate” would be doing him a favour. Nothing seems to get him moving. I watched him in London and he just never reacted. I have watched him at all the other games this season and ….. nadda. I watched him on the interview posted here after the London game and he just shrugged the game off.

Onto our fan base. Fans have commented in the past about how our head coaches don’t show any passion and have heavily criticised them for this, on these forums. So why is Fisher getting a buy here?

I am only asking the question and would love to see some comments.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The "Inert" man

Because Fisher is the man that will turn this team around. I trust his leadership style as he has head coaching experience and plenty of it. Unlike the 2 clowns before him.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Fisher has been somewhat demonstrative in the past when he was with Tennessee, but I have never regarded him as an outwardly "fiery" type coach in the Pete Carroll or Greg Schiano mold. People tend to equate jumping up and down with success, and it's the worst possible mistake one can make when evaluating a coach. Rah-Rah doesn't win ballgames. And there are plenty of coaches in the history of the NFL from Tom Landry to Mike Tomlin who provide proof of that.
    thoey, live4ramin and MauiRam like this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    The "Inert" man

This is not meant as a criticism of Coach Fisher, this is an observation of both him and the Rams fans.

How often have I read on this and other boards (is there any?) about how fervent our coach is or if he is, why does he not show it, or why is he showing his passion like that on the side-lines?
    I have watched Fisher and to say he is “inanimate” would be doing him a favour. Nothing seems to get him moving. I watched him in London and he just never reacted. I have watched him at all the other games this season and ….. nadda. I watched him on the interview posted here after the London game and he just shrugged the game off.

Onto our fan base. Fans have commented in the past about how our head coaches don’t show any passion and have heavily criticized them for this, on these forums. So why is Fisher getting a buy here?

I am only asking the question and would love to see some comments.
    Certainly a fair question. I think it is too early in his Ram tenure for we fans to judge him in any category yet. That said, my personal take so far is this: We have a very young team, and will get younger still next year. Though Fisher may appear (on gamedays) dispassionate, unemotional even indifferent on the sidelines, we don't know how he comes off to his players behind closed doors. However we do know he has garnered enormous respect from guys who have played for him over the years, and that respect does not come without his having earned it. He also has a reputation for assembling very tough physical teams that play smashmouth football. Time will tell ..

By appearing or actually being unflappable, I believe he sends a very strong message to players of all ages and particularly the young guys who are more impressionable. The old cliche "one game at a time" really is the reality. Because of his experience - part of which is being both the recipient of downright thrashings, and the archon of the same over long years - he likely knows the futility of needless worry. There isn't a team in this league that hasn't had a performance (in our case a season or three, but I digress) it would prefer to have stricken from the record.

When we are at the halfway point of next season, perhaps we as fans can better answer your question. Given that we had 24 guys (think that's the number) on our team last year who are no longer even in the NFL, we couldn't need a steady hand more than we do right now given the extreme youth on our current roster. Personally I would much rather have Jeff on the sidelines than say a personality like Rob Ryan who is all over the board throughout every game.

I don't think Jeff has gotten a "pass" so much as he is still very new to us, and the jury is so far, undecided. At the end of this season, he'll be judged partly on his win/loss record, and partly on how competitively the team is playing right down and through the last game.

If Jeff is with us long enough to lead the Rams to a Super Bowl, I'd imagine we might see him being more demonstrative on the sidelines. Heck, I'd even bet on it!
    live4ramin and laram0 like this.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

As long as he doesn't get in the fetal position I'm alright, although he's been close a couple of times.

I think he doesn't have all the pieces in place yet to merrit his excitability and is still evaluating individuals instead of other nuances.

I am amazed at how he shows no reaction at all when key personel are carted off on litters. I'd bet he's a good poker player.
    MauiRam likes this.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    As long as he doesn't get in the fetal position I'm alright, although he's been close a couple of times.

I think he doesn't have all the pieces in place yet to merrit his excitability and is still evaluating individuals instead of other nuances.

I am amazed at how he shows no reaction at all when key personel are carted off on litters. I'd bet he's a good poker player.
    I'd bet you're right!

Rambos is online now Registered User

Early on with the replacement refs I thought he was working the sideline pretty good. I do recall when Cortland Finnegan had his pick six, Fisher ran down the sideline and put his arm around Finnegan and expressed how happy he was for him.

As far as lately I agree with Maui that this is a young team and he's not going to rip into any player during the game and I'm not sure that is his style anyways.

I will never forget the SB when he got his team together and told the to look across the field because they (the Rams) where celebrating. He fired them up and they came back. Even before he became our coach i like that speech.

Here is that speech at the 6:12 Fisher gets them going.

MauiRam likes this.