Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RUReady4Leonard is offline Registered User

Information about Rams for New Fans

Hello long time Ram Fans!

Now that you have drafted Brian Leonard you have thousands of new fans on your bandwagon. What are 10 things you can tell us about your team that will help us get us up to speed on the vibe of this team.

Many of us have passionately followed Brian for years and we just want to become familiar with our new favorite pro team.

Thank you in advance and look forward to a great season!

:r

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Information about Rams for New Fans

Its great to have you on board! I grew up in jersey so i have been a huge scarlet knights fan for years.

1) If our young offensive line holds up, this will be as high scoring an offense as you will see in the nfl
    2) No team has more weapons at the skill positions. Bulger, holt, bruce, bennett, mcmichael/klop and of course, The Big Boy, steven jackson
    3) The rams have two of the most underated offensive weapons in the nfl and the single most underated defensive player in the nfl. Bulger is arguably the #2 qb behind manning (possible exceptions for carson palmer and brady) and steven jackson, who had over 2000 total yards last year (1500 rushing, plus 90 catches) is #2 behind tomlinson. Only julius peppers is a better all around defensive end than leonard little, who is truly a holy terror both playing the run and rushing the passer.
    4) The rams defense has been absolutely horrible, especially against the run. CLose to dead last for at least two years. IF we are going to make a move into the playoffs, our ability to improve defensively is the key. We dont have to be the 1985 bears, but we need to improve quite a bit. Generally speaking, we cant stop the run at all, we dont rush the passer well except for little, our tackling is suspect, and our secondary play is erratic. Other than that, we are terrific.
    5) Special teams is another area of improvement. We have traded for dante hall to return punts and kicks, and signed some guys to help in coverage. We are looking for leonard to make a real contribution as a tough guy on special teams.
    6) Some nicknames to be aware of. The rams play at The Ed (the edward jones dome in st louis). The big boy is steven jackson, the big man is orlando pace. Thats not booing you hear at a rams game, its rams fans screaming Bruuuuuuce every time isaac bruce makes another catch.
    7) Coach linehan replaced mike martz last year and has the team moving in the right direction. We finished strong, winning our last three in a row, and had we snuck into the playoffs, we would have been a very dangerous team as steven jackson and the oline were truly on a rampage at the end of the year.
    8) Many rams fans feel that its critical that we lock up marc bulger right now. He is a free agent after 2007.
    9) Jim Haslett, the former saints head coach, took over as defensive coordinator last year. He is well respected, but talent is the key. Again, improved play on defense is critical this year. We have a number of young players on defense that must improve. We have made some terrible blunders defensively over the last five years with some bust draft picks (especially at defensive tackle) and a horrible decision to allow ryan pickett, our best defensive tackle and only run stopper to walk away in free agency.
    10) This is the best board of rams fans that you will ever find. We have our differences and hotly contested debates, but at the end of the day, we all have one thing in common- We live and die with The Horns. Never forget that its all about the Horns on the Helmet.
    11) Bonus item- marshall faulk, the greatest ram ever, retired this year after missing all last season with knee injuries. He works for nfl network now.

Ramming speed to you and yours,

general counsel

KingHigh is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RUReady4Leonard View Post

Now that you have drafted Brian Leonard you have thousands of new fans on your bandwagon. What are 10 things you can tell us about your team that will help us get us up to speed on the vibe of this team.

Many of us have passionately followed Brian for years and we just want to become familiar with our new favorite pro team.

As a long-time :l fan (circa April 19, 2007), I can tell you a few things:

1. Steven Jackson is an elite back, and carried the rock almost 350 times last season.
    2. If you are going to be a Rams fan, you must develop a deep hatred for Mike Martz.
    3. The Rams offense is explosive and as complete as it gets.
    4. The Rams need help on the defensive side of the ball.
    5. St. Louis sports fans are among the classiest fans in sports.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

First of all "Welcome to the Clan"

The Basics:

Last season under new Headcoach Scott Linehan and new Defensive Coordinator Jim Haslett, we finished with an 8-8 record, just missed the playoffs.

We have a very strong offense with one of the most accurate QBs in the NFL.
    Steven Jackson the 1st string running back that Brian will back-up had a breakout season last season. Both running and receiving. Our receiving corp is among the best in the NFL and our o-line is improving.

Our defense was our biggest weakness. Stopping the run and sacking the opposing QB were our weakest points. Hopefully these areas have improved via free agency and the recent draft. Time will tell.

Our special teams were really 50/50. Nice kicking game both FGs and punting.
    Our coverage and return units were below average. Again another area that seems to have been addressed via free agency and the draft. Time will tell.

To make a long story short. We have a good team that on paper seems to have improved during this off season.

Again, time will tell.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Welcome to the CLan and Rams RUREADY. You have definitly lucked out with your choice for new favorite team. By just going with whoever BL goes with you coulda ended up cheering for the 9ers or some other unfortunate team like that. But lucky we picked Leonard, a pick which myself I am VERY happy with. I was hoping for an FB in the draft and we picked up the best one... SWEET!

I won't even begin to fill you in without first telling you that there are a 100 people on this site more knowledgable then me. But I love the Rams so I'm gonna give it a go anyway

Firstly, our Offense:
    QB - Marc Bulger, Bulger is amazing, had a streak going last year for most completeions without and INT, it ended somewher around 225... (someone can correct that # for me) but he's amazing

RB - Steven Jackson, Defintily a top 3 back in the league. He can do anything and he does. More of a pounding back then a cut back but he is great at it. He also broke a record last year, for most yards from scrimmage.

WR - Torry Holt, I shouldn't need to tell you about him, he's a legend in his own right.
    ........Issac Bruce, Again another living legend. Both Bruce and Holt will be first round selestions into the Hall.
    .......Drew Bennett, A new addition to our team and a nice one. He won't start immediately for us b/c of Holt/Bruce, but he was a starter for his old team. He's tall and will give us good Red-zone opportunities
    ......Dante Hall, I don't expect to see him all that much as a WR but as a 4th he is an excellent speedy option. He will also be our return man ans is damn good at it.

TE - Randy MicMichael, Another new addition. He is a solid TE and has always been a top 5 in the league.
    ......Joe Klopfestein, He was a rookie for us last year and started most games. He is still developing but should turn out nicely this year

FB - Brian Leonard, you need no introduction to him, but I can't wait to see him play

DE - Leonard Little - probably the best or at least a top 3 in the league at the postion. We kind of build our D around him
    ......James Hall - A new addition. He's getting old and coming off surgery but hopefully he'll turn out ok.

DL - La'Roi Glover - getting up there in years but hopefully with the young talent added he'll be able to help them along
    ......Adam Carriker - Our 1st round draft choice.

LB - Pisa Tinosimoa, Brandon Chillar, Will Witherspoon, Chris Draft, should all be played in and out. I'm not the best to speak on behalf of these guys, as my view isn't optimistic enough (someone please give a good view of them)

CB - Tye Hill, A second year and fast as can be. He developed extremely well last year
    ......Fakir Brown, a veteran who will help develop the youth we have at this position

S - Corey Chavos, a verteran whose best years may be behind him, hopefully he can still produce
    .....OJ Atogwe, A young player who is starting to come into his own. He should step up this year and become more of a Defensive leader

K - Jeff Wilkins, the best

P - Donnie Jones, is young and has good numbers

This is just my take. Again I don't know as much as most of the fans here, but hopefully this helps some!

LARAM is offline Registered User

Welcome......Don't ever cheer for that team that plays next to Oakland....You know the one that is in the NFC West with the RAMS, Cardinal's and seahawks and .....They are our absolute worst arch rival enemy.

When needed this is how you refer to them....... F@#*!....etc...etc

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KingHigh View Post

1. Steven Jackson is an elite back, and carried the rock almost 350 times last season.
    2. If you are going to be a Rams fan, you must develop a deep hatred for Mike Martz.
    congrats! You get a "B" for getting 80% right. Excellent work for a newbie to Ramhood. The only one you missed was #2. The only Rams fans with a deep hatred for Martz are the ones who don't understand what he did for this team. These fans are easy to spot, as the rest of us have to speak veeeeeery sloooooooooowly to them.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

There are some other things you should know as well.

1. When speaking of QB's speak the names of Bob Waterfield, Vince Ferragamo, Kurt Warner, and Marc Bulger with reverence. However, the names of Tony Banks and Chris Chandler are often the subject of jokes, just like their records.

2. The Horns have a proud history. They were the first logo ever to appear on any NFL helmet. This happened 1947, when Fred Gherke painted the horns on a leather helmet. While the colors have changed, the symbolism has not. The original colors of the uniforms were black and red, but by the time the horns were added, the uniform was the famous blue and yellow. In the 60's the colors were changed to blue and white (which looked really good, BTW), returned to the blue and yellow, and in 2000, the current Rams Blue and Gold was introduced.

3. The Rams started out in Cleveland, and were the first team to move west of the Mississippi in 1945.

4. The fans are fiercely loyal. Most have been through the years of shame, known to most as the 1990's. These people are still fans.

5. Somehow, the words "Rams" and "Criminal Record" don't go together. Our guys seem to not only be among the smartest in the NFL, but also seem to be very upstanding citizens.

6. There is still one name on the roster that was familiar to the fans of the Los Angeles Rams. Issac Bruce played his first year in 1994, before the team moved to St. Louis.

7. A short history of our championships:

1945 — NFL Champions
    Rams defeated Redskins 15-14 in Cleveland for the NFL Championship on Dec. 16.

1949 — 1st in Western Conference
    Rams lost to the Eagles 14-0 in Los Angeles for the NFL Championship on Dec. 18.

1950 — 1st in Western Conference
    Rams defeated Bears 24-14 in Los Angeles for the NFL Conference title on Dec. 17. Rams lost to Browns 30-28 in Cleveland for the NFL Championship on Dec. 24.

1951 — NFL Champions
    Rams defeated Browns 24-17 in Los Angeles for the NFL Championship on Dec. 23.

1955 — 1st in Western Conference
    Rams lost to Browns 38-14 in Los Angeles for the NFL Championship on Dec. 26.

1967 — NFL Coastal Division Champions
    Rams lost to Packers 28-7 in Milwaukee in the Western Conference Playoff Game on Dec. 23. Rams defeated Browns 30-6 in Miami in the Orange Bowl on Jan. 7, 1968.

1969 — NFL Coastal Division Champions
    Rams lost to Vikings 23-20 in Bloomington in the Western Conference Playoff Game on Dec. 27. Rams defeated Cowboys 31-0 in Miami in the Orange Bowl on Jan. 3, 1970.

1973 — 1st in NFC West
    Rams lost to Cowboys 27-16 in Dallas in the NFC Divisional Playoff game on Dec. 23.

1974 — 1st in NFC West
    Rams lost to Vikings 14-10 in Bloomington in the NFC Championship Game on Dec. 29.

1975 — 1st in NFC West
    Rams defeated the Cardinals 35-23 in Los Angeles in the NFC Divisional Playoff Game on Dec. 27. Rams lost to Cowboys 37-7 in Los Angeles in the NFC Championship Game on Jan. 4, 1976.

1976 — 1st in NFC West
    Rams defeated Cowboys 14-12 in Dallas in the NFC Divisional Playoff Game on Dec. 19. Rams lost to Vikings 24-13 in Bloomington in the NFC Championship Game on Dec. 26.

1977 — 1st in NFC West
    Rams lost to Vikings 14-7 in Los Angeles in the NFC Divisional Playoff Game on Dec. 26.

1978 — 1st in NFC West
    Rams defeated Vikings 34-10 in Los Angeles in the NFC Divisional Playoff Game on Dec. 31. Rams lost to Cowboys 28-0 in Los Angeles in the NFC Championship Game on Jan. 7, 1979.

1979 — NFL Champions
    Rams defeated Cowboys 21-19 in Dallas in the NFC Divisional Playoff Game on Dec. 30. Rams defeated Buccaneers 9-0 in Tampa for the NFC Championship on Jan 6, 1980. Rams lost to Steelers 31-19 in Superbowl XIV on Jan. 20, 1980.

1985 — 1st in NFC West
    Rams defeated Cowboys 20-0 in Anaheim in the NFC Divisional Playoff Game on Jan 4, 1986. Rams lost to Bears 24-0 in Chicago in the NFC Championship Game on Jan. 12, 1986.

1999 — Super Bowl XXXIV Champions
    Rams defeated Vikings 49-37 in St. Louis in the NFC Divisional Playoff Game on Jan. 16, 2000. Rams defeated Buccaneers 11-6 in St. Louis in the NFC Championship Game on Jan. 23, 2000. Rams defeated Titans 23-16 in Superbowl XXXIV on Jan. 30, 2000.

2001 — NFC Champions
    Rams defeated Packers 45-17 in St. Louis in the NFC Divisional Playoff Game on Jan. 20, 2002. Rams defeated Eagles 29-24 in St. Louis in the NFC Championship Game on Jan. 27, 2002. Rams lost to Patriots 20-17 in Superbowl XXXVI on Feb. 3, 2002.

2003 — 1st in NFC West
    Rams lost to Panthers 29-23 in double OT thriller.

8. Jack Youngblood broke his leg in the 2nd quarter of the 1979 NFC playoff game, and didn't sit it out. He not only finished the game, but went on to play Superbowl XIV with the leg broken. Not bruised. Not sore. BROKEN.

9. The farty whiners are only ONE of the teams we despise: The shesquawks and deadbirds are two others.

10. Each season, a talented writer sacrifices hours of time writing something called "The Book of Spiralhorn". It's a bit different from most things you'll read on a football site, but I like it.

max
    max is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RUReady4Leonard View Post

One thing that you should take back to all the Leonard fans is that there will be a huge run on Leonard jerseys when they go on sale. I have heard from many fans that they want to start a Brian Leonard fan club, so this kid is going to be embraced in St. Louis big time.

Also, Leonard is going to be sharing the backfield with another great back, Steven Jackson, and I expect to see Leonard paired up with Jackson at times.

Leonard is coming into a great situtation here, he will not be asked to carry the offense. He will be asked to compliment the other great players and cause more problems for opposing defenses. We desparately needed a short yardage back and someone to take the load off of Jackson. I think Leonard is the perfect fit.

Welcome aboard!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Greetings, and welcome to the Clan. It is kind of nice, I have been getting a lot of compliments about Leonard recently. Everyone in my school knows I am a diehard Rams fan and a lot of the football people have been following Rutgers for years and they're just so jealous that my team got him. Now they don't mind the Rams too much anymore :P

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Hey KH, that just might make you a "grizzled veteran"!!

Also, don't ever forget to have an undying hatred for that team of pukes that plays in SF. In fact, DON'T EVER EVEN SAY THEIR WRETCHED NAME. The use of the **** key will more than suffice and all Clannies will know who you are referring to.

BTW your remark about Martz is inaccurate to say the least. While many Rams fans have strongly held opinions on the man, the overall consensus is he was a major help to our club initially; but it was time for him to move on. Capiche??

WHAT SAY YE?

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

'Mad' Mike Martz (our previous head coach as you are no doubt aware) is a touchy subject, some hate him almost irrationally, while others have a more balanced view. The main points that are criticized is his tendency to neglect the rest of the team and focus on the offense exclusively, even as a head coach, which is why we probably all at least agree that he was a fantastic offensive coordinator, if not head coach. And another point would be his risky and sometimes weird play calling choices (let's run a reverse on the 5 yard line etc.) and rapid usage of timeouts.

There used to be a huge controversy over Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger, back when we switched QB's, but today I think we uniformly agree it was the right choice, while still recognizing the fantastic QB Warner used to be.

We have a sort of trauma with selecting DT's in the 1st round (let's see if Carriker can't break that curse!) having done it 3 times (Pickett, Kennedy and Lewis, of whom only Kennedy is still with us, and he may be on his way out this year) in recent memory (now 4 with Carriker) and not gotten a whole lot in return.

And finally, don't underestimate the importance of a good kicker. Jeff Wilkins, or 'Money' as he's known as always scores, no exceptions. Any field goal situation is a good time to go grab a beer, because you already know what's going to happen.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Welcome aboard Ruready! You picked a very good year to become a Rams fan. This is the first year I can remember in a long time where this shouldn't be considered a rebuilding year. The hopes of the locals is high and the time to win is upon us. Despite what some of the other posters have said, we are indeed in desperate need of some more REAL fans. ( Just refer back to last years Monday night game for that one. ) The offensive we have amassed will truly be a sight to behold. The defense on the other hand is probably best off not being viewed, period. Strides HAVE been taken in solidifying our D-line. ( Just hope and pray that Carriker never gets injured or we are truly F*d.) And that pretty much sums up the 07 St.Louis Rams.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Why number 2? MM may have had issues, but his offensive genius was paramount to our SB win and our many recent playoff appearances. Lets give MM a rest shall we?

KingHigh is offline Registered User

I have nothing against MM. I thought he was a pretty smart coach (although he talked a lot of junk). I just notice that there's a lot of hatred for him among Rams fans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast