RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Injured East St. Louis Flyer makes friends with Rams players

Injured East St. Louis Flyer makes friends with Rams players

BY STEVE KORTE

ST. LOUIS -- With all the St. Louis Rams players huddled around him, Demond Hunt Jr. broke practice Thursday with the words, "Go Hard."

Hunt is the 16-year-old East St. Louis Senior High School football player who collapsed because of a brain injury that caused him to suffer a series of seizures and small strokes during the Flyers' game against Collinsville on Oct. 3. He was treated to a tour of Rams Park just one week after being released from the hospital.

"I've been through it, and I know they're going through it right now, so we're going to have go hard," Hunt said of what he said to the Rams players. "I said, 'Go Hard on three. One, two, three, Go Hard."
    Hunt was given a Rams jersey with the No. 13 -- that's his number as a linebacker for the Flyers -- and his last name printed on the back.

Several Rams players, including punter Donnie Jones, running back Travis Minor, wide receiver Dane Looker and defensive ends Chris Long and Leonard Little, spent some time talking with Hunt.

"They told me get my head up, keep God first, everything happens for a reason, some good will come after," Hunt said.

Rams coach Jim Haslett hugged Hunt.

"We've been kind of waiting for him to get out of the hospital so we could have him over as a guest," Haslett said. "He's a great kid. It's a shame something like that had to happen to him and take away his ability to play football or sports in general.

"The big thing he has to understand is that there is a lot of life left, and he should be thankful for that. It was nice to have him out here, and I know the players really appreciated it."

Little gave Hunt a pair of practice gloves, and wide receiver Torry Holt took off his practice jersey and tossed it to Hunt as he was running off the field.

"It meant a lot," Hunt said of being invited to Rams Park. "It shows me that they care about different people in the area. I came here and showed them support, and they gave me love."

Hunt was released from Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center in St. Louis on Nov. 7. He said he goes to speech and occupational therapy on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. He'll start being home-schooled Monday, and he won't return to East St. Louis Senior High School until the second semester of the current school year.

"I'm getting better," Hunt said. "I have to take some more MRIs later, but I'm getting better."

Hunt said his memory is coming back. The last thing he remembers from the night that he collapsed is saying, "'I can't breathe. I can't breathe.' I remember coach trying to get my shoulder pads off. I guess I fainted after that."

Hunt said he'll be attending the Flyers' Class 7A playoff game against Chicago St. Rita at 3 p.m. Saturday at Clyde C. Jordan Stadium.

"They're going to win this weekend," Hunt said of the Flyers. "I believe in my boys. They're going to win."

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Re: Injured East St. Louis Flyer makes friends with Rams players

That is a sad but inspirational story. Thanks for taking the time to honor the young man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Injured East St. Louis Flyer makes friends with Rams players

Life isn't always easy. That was nice of the Rams to have him in for a visit and to spend some time with him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]