RamWraith is offline Registered User

Injuries keep bugging Tinoisamoa

By Bill Coats 11/28/2007 5:25 pm

In his first three NFL seasons, linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa piled up tackles, leading the Rams in each of those years. Since then, he’s been piling up injuries.

The latest is a torn MCL in his left knee, suffered Sunday against Seattle. Tinoisamoa doesn’t need surgery, but with just five games remaining, the Rams decided to place him on injured reserve. Chris Draft will start in his place on the weakside.

“This is something I really couldn’t control, and I kind of feel better about that,” Tinoisamoa said Wednesday. “If it was something that I could’ve done something about, then I’d be a little more disappointed. I think I’m more frustrated because it was kind of a freaky thing that happened.”

Tinoisamoa went down in the second quarter, and he feared right away that the injury was serious. “I was thinking, ‘This doesn’t feel too good,’’’ he said. “I was kind of adding it up in my head when I was sitting on the sideline. I had an idea, but I was trying to remain optimistic.”

Last year, Tinoisamoa’s litany of injuries started with a dislocated elbow in Week 2. Later, he hurt his shoulder – requiring major surgery in the offseason – and broke both hands. He missed five games.

Although he was out for two earlier games with a sprained ankle, he was putting together a solid ’07 season. “I felt good. I thought it was one of my more successful years,” said Tinoisamoa, whose 79 tackles are No. 2 on the team to fellow linebacker Will Witherspoon’s 98.

Quarterback Brock Berlin, a third-year pro, is on an NFL active roster for the first time. The Rams promoted him this week, after Marc Bulger suffered a concussion Sunday. “It really doesn’t change anything” in practice, said Berlin, 26. “But I’ll be putting the pads on Sunday and be ready if called upon.”

Berlin, signed in May, has spent the season on the practice squad, which means he works almost exclusively with the scout team. Still, he pronounced himself ready to go if needed.

“I feel real good. I’ve prepared all year long to play, even though I knew I wasn’t going to,” he said. “You hate for it to happen this way, when someone gets hurt. But I’m very excited about the opportunity.”

Notes & quotes:

>>Draft was taken aback when a TV reporter asked him Wednesday about going against running back T.J. Duckett on Sunday, when the Falcons visit the Dome. Duckett hasn’t been with Atlanta since 2005.

>>RB Steven Jackson’s criticism of game days at the Dome continued Wednesday, when he assailed the sound system. On Sunday, he bashed the music selection.

>>No. 2 QB Gus Frerotte, on concussions: “I had one when I was in Miami (in 2005), and it’s not fun. You get hazy and you’re groggy for a few days. It takes you a while to get back because you definitely don’t want to get out there and not know what’s going on.”

>>Though still nursing a sore ankle, C Brett Romberg worked with the first unit Wednesday. Andy McCollum sat out after having fluid drained from his left knee.

>>WR/KR Dante Hall tweaked his ankle Sunday and was idle Wednesday, but he’s going to try to practice Thursday.

>>Special-teams regular Hanik Milligan practiced with a large cast on his broken left hand.

All for now. . .

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Injuries keep bugging Tinoisamoa

You go Jax! The Dome's music selection is the reason that we haven't won at home yet!