RamWraith is offline Registered User

Injuries open doors for other players

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Monday, Aug. 04 2008

MEQUON, WIS. If there's an upside to the Rams' bulging injury list, which has
    been in double figures for several days, it's the opportunity it provides for
    other players to show off their wares and for the coaches to better evaluate
    them.

And perhaps for some players even to take a shot at shoving their way into the
    starting lineup.

That's been the case with linebacker Quinton Culberson and offensive lineman
    Richie Incognito, and to a lesser degree defensive back Ron Bartell, during
    training camp at Concordia University. All three are getting extended work with
    the first team because others have been sidelined.

Culberson is manning the strongside linebacker spot in place of Chris Draft,
    who has been out for a week with a back injury. Draft was the projected starter
    in the spring, but Culberson has impressed in his stead.

"You never wish for anyone to get hurt, but when you get your opportunity, you
    should take advantage of it," he said. "But the starting thing is not really a
    matter to me, because I start on ... certain other packages, and I also start
    on special teams. So, I'm a starter either way."

A year ago, Culberson was an undrafted rookie out of Mississippi State simply
    trying to catch the coach's eye. "I didn't know if I was coming or going," he
    said. "I just worked hard."

Culberson became a mainstay on special teams, and in his only start on defense,
    he piled up a team-high 14 tackles in the season finale at Arizona.

"I'm really glad we were able to play him at the end of the year; he's had a
    taste of it," coach Scott Linehan said.

"Now, he's moving into potentially being our starting (strongside linebacker).
    Not discounting what Chris Draft is going to do for us ... but we feel really
    good about Quinton."

BATTLE IN MIDDLE

Because of a knee injury, Incognito played in only four games last year,
    starting each at right guard. Now, he's in a three-way tussle with Brett
    Romberg and Mark Setterstrom for two starting slots: center and right guard.

Romberg (center) and Setterstrom (right guard) opened camp as first-teamers,
    but both have missed time. When Romberg had a sore hand and couldn't snap the
    ball for several days, Incognito put in time at center. And with Setterstrom
    out now with a strained muscle near his knee and Romberg back at center
    Incognito is back at right guard.

"We're probably moving ahead with that a little bit sooner, just because of
    Mark not being in there," Linehan said. "But that's good. All along, that's a
    scenario we've been considering. We're just working it now."

VERSATILITY PAYS

Bartell has been manning a first-team cornerback spot since about halfway
    through the first camp practice, when Fakhir Brown suffered a slight tear of
    the rotator cuff in his left shoulder. Bartell has played corner, safety and
    nickel back during his three seasons with the team, so he's accustomed to
    jumping in where needed.

"Ronnie, he just does everything for us," Linehan said. "The more things you
    can do in this day and age is very valuable for your team."

The competition figures to heat up considerably this week. A number of injured
    players should return to the field, and the first of four preseason games is on
    the horizon. The Rams will take on the Titans at 7 p.m. Saturday in Nashville,
    Tenn.

RAM-BLINGS

After Saturday morning's scrimmage, the players were off until Sunday evening,
    when they reported for meetings. Practices resume today, starting at 8:45 a.m.
    and 4 p.m. ... The Rams will work out Tuesday morning in Mequon, then travel to
    Nashville. They will practice with the Titans on Wednesday and Thursday before
    Saturday night's contest.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Injuries open doors for other players

Only for the Rams would this be considered good news, or positive in any way shape or form. We shouldn't be getting injured so much, what is the deal now?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

moloch41 Guest

Yeah, injuries helped open a door to a 3-13 season last year. I really don't consider this good news.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Agreed. But good to read about Culberson. I hope he gets a good amount of playing time this year.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Yeah, injuries helped open a door to a 3-13 season last year. I really don't consider this good news.
    Guys, there are injuries and then there are INJURIES. The stuff that most of the Rams are experiencing now really isn't anything to get too excited about. I mean if this was the regular season already it's a strong possibility that most of them would suit up and play.
    As long as I don't hear anything like ACL injury or concussion or torn ligament or anything along those lines, I'm pretty much not worried about what's happened so far.

WHAT SAY YE?