Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Milan is offline Registered User

Re: Inside Info News Flash On Rams New H.C.

Can somebody explain why Art Shell would be so bad, I know he used to be an O-lineman for about 10 years and won two superbowls, I have no idea about his coaching career. So somebody please explain why he's so bad?

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

I don't think he is so bad, I just don't think he's the right coach at this moment for the Rams.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Why Ligashesky... I like this guY!
    RamsFan16

bruce_wannabe Guest

Art Shell Aye?????he Aint Bad But I Think The Rams Fo Could Do Better.... I Would Keep Martz Before Signing Art Shell

curley4me is offline Registered User

ART SHELL? are you kidding me? i must have really pissed santa off, this is not the coach i hoped the rams would have gotten(or get if it's true). and now we are down 7-0 to the bleepin *******, what else can happen!!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Like I told ORF on a PM. This would indeed ruin my Christmas. The organization might as well hire Marmie to lead this team. This would send me over the edge .
    My thoughts exactly. Art Shell was nothing more than a figurehead puppet for Al Davis in Choakland. If the Rams FO is looking for a guy they can dictate terms to and keep a tight rein on, Art Shell is their man. Heaven help us if this is true.

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

I have now officially soiled myself.

Wake me from this nightmare.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Shell was 54-38 in six seasons as HC of the Raiders.

I have a hard time believing this but, then again, I didn't believe it when I first heard that the Rams had hired Dick Vermiel.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Here's a recent article on Shell:

Art Shell still wants a second chance

BY ERIC GILMORE
    Contra Costa Times (Walnut Creek, Ca.)

Former Raiders coach Art Shell hears the same question every year, usually about the time NFL teams start firing coaches and those coaches start lining up for a chance to be recycled.
    Why hasn't he received a second chance to be a head coach in the NFL?
    "Every year I say I don't know," Shell said from his office at NFL headquarters in New York, where he serves as the league's senior vice president of football operations and development.
    "I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure it out. It is what it is. You move forward."
    What it is, is an NFL mystery wrapped in a travesty.
    Dave Wannstedt, Dom Capers and Dennis Erickson - not exactly a Hall of Fame trifecta - received second chances to be a head coach in the NFL.
    Shell, the NFL's first black coach in the modern era, is still waiting despite his 56-41 record.
    Ex-Raiders coach Joe Bugel, Ray Rhodes and Bruce Coslet_a combined 66 games under .500 - had second shots.
    Shell never has.
    Current Raiders coach Norv Turner, Dan Henning and Rich Kotite_three more sub. 500 coaches - were recycled.
    Not Shell.
    It's hard enough to understand why Shell was fired in the first place.
    Al Davis hired Shell four games into the 1989 season after firing Mike Shanahan. Shell led the Raiders to three playoff berths and one AFC West title.
    Shell had only one losing season with the Raiders. But after going 9-7 in 1994, Davis fired him.
    Eleven years later, Shell is still waiting for his second chance.
    "Every now and then the embers are burning," Shell said. "If something comes up, I will listen.
    "There's always that desire that's still there. I think I'd still like to have one more shot at it. If I get a shot, I think I could do a heck of a job."
    Shell nearly got that second shot in 1998 when Davis was searching yet again for a new coach. Shell, Bill Belichick and Jon Gruden were the finalists. The job went to Gruden.
    Considering the 4-9 Raiders' current free fall, it's hard to imagine Turner saving his job. Yes, stranger things have happened. Things such as Turner's decision to bench quarterback Marques Tuiasosopo after one start and return to Kerry Collins this week.
    Do you think it was a coincidence that Turner made that move after talking to Davis? So sad.
    If Turner goes, Shell's name certainly will resurface again as a Raiders coaching candidate.
    The Raiders could definitely do a lot worse than a Hall of Fame offensive tackle who grew up in the organization. A mountainous man who knows the inner workings of Al's strange kingdom and has the gravitas to lead despite Davis' meddling.
    In a recent radio interview, former Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown said Gruden and Shell were the only Raiders coaches he had who were strong enough to command and keep their players' attention despite Davis' powerful presence.
    Davis often has said that firing Shell was a mistake. Shell apparently has no hard feelings.
    "He gave me an opportunity," Shell said. "First an opportunity to play. He gave me an opportunity to be an assistant coach, then the head coach. I wouldn't say anything bad about him. Our relationship is good."
    Last year Shell interviewed for the Miami Dolphins job that went to Nick Saban. In the past he has interviewed with the Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans and New Orleans Saints.
    No luck.
    Has race played a role in Shell's lack of a second chance in the NFL?
    You'd hope not, but consider these facts: Fritz Pollard became the NFL's first black coach in 1921. Shell became its second, 68 years later. There have been only 10 black coaches in NFL history.
    Shell was fired in 1994, nine years before the NFL adopted the so-called Rooney Rule, requiring teams in search of a coach to interview at least one minority candidate. Who knows how many more interviews Shell would have received if that rule had been adopted in the mid-`90s?
    More doors have been opening lately for black coaches in the NFL. Three black coaches _Rhodes, Tony Dungy and Dennis Green - have actually joined the NFL's old-boys club, getting second chances.
    The NFL has a record six black coaches this season: Dungy (Indianapolis Colts), Green (Arizona Cardinals), Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati Bengals), Lovie Smith (Chicago Bears), Romeo Crennel (Cleveland Browns) and Herman Edwards (New York Jets).
    Dungy's Colts are undefeated, and he appears on track to become the first black coach in the Super Bowl. Lewis' Bengals are 10-3. Smith's Bears are 9-4.
    Shell helped pave the way for Dungy, Lewis and Smith to become NFL coaches. Maybe this year, their success will help pave the way for Shell's second chance. The NFL, after all, is the ultimate copycat league.
    Shell deserves that same second chance so many others have received.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I wouldn't **** you, your my favorite turd! LOL

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe
    I wouldn't **** you, your my favorite turd! LOL
    I assume you know the joke....

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Art Shell had 6 years to "JUST WIN BABY" and could NOT do it.

SIX years and couldn't win Super Bowl with good talent and an owner willing to go get what they needed. In fact, he has a LOSING PLAYOFF Record,,, again with good talent.

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -12-24-2005 at 05:07 PM.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

In 1990, in a BIG Playoff game,

ART SHELL's Raiders lost (in the playoffs): 51 - 3.

In 1991, ART SHELL's Raider scored 6 points and lost
    the wildcard game with a pathetic OFFENSIVE performance.

He has a LOSING Playoff record and his team missed the playoffs in 94 and faced rebuilding years - so he was FIRED.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Hey Clan Ram Family :

Nothing is 100% and I will be shocked if it happens , but I also know how things can slip out of F.O's . , Players and other ways as well ... I toally agree it would be madness for it too happen , Even though Shell would be good D.C. ?? Our F.O. has been know to shoot in the DARK... Man I hope my scoop is wrong I really hope its wrong , But like I said I know where it comes from ?????

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

If its true.If we can get a good OC it might not be that bad,but then again,its the playoff record that makes me tighten my my sphincter.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast