Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inside Slant

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Inside Slant

Rams coach Scott Linehan has only been coaching in the NFL for four seasons. But he has been fortunate as an offensive coordinator to have Randy Moss on his side in Minnesota and Chris Chambers in Miami.
    Now he is eager to be able to coach Torry Holt, who last season quietly became the only player in history to string together six consecutive seasons with at least 1,300 receiving yards.

While everyone talks about being able to run the ball, Linehan also emphasized that having a go-to receiver is necessary for an offense to work.

"No question," he said. "I think an impact receiver is as critical to an offense as any position on the field. Obviously, the quarterback being the key. It's like your starting pitcher. A great receiver in this league creates matchup problems for defenses. And so it makes your running game better. You can start your offense around those guys, because you have the ability to have an explosive player at receiver. They impact your running game. A go-to guy on critical downs, third downs, all that stuff."

While Holt is a different receiver than Moss, Linehan said Holt, most importantly, forces defenses to account for him.

"He's a tough matchup, because you can't play him one-on-one, but he's great in zone," Linehan said of Holt. "So to me, I think Torry's different than the other two guys. ... He's a tough problem for people, because I think he's the best route-runner in the league. Quarterbacks know exactly when to throw the ball, where to throw the ball. It's uncanny."

For good reason, Linehan likes the receiving corps that will take the field for the first time in a mini-camp that opens April 21, especially after getting Isaac Bruce re-signed.

"I'm happy with the receiving," he said. "We've got a really good young guy (Kevin Curtis) who's going to probably be Isaac's heir apparent. All those guys are going to factor into what we're doing. But we won't play quite as many of the four-receiver sets. We'll do a lot of three-receiver sets, just like they did. But with our type three, four, five guys, with (Dane) Looker and (Shaun) McDonald, that is a good situation because they've all played and been productive for St. Louis in the past."

NOTES, QUOTES

—Still on the lookout for a kick returner, the Rams signed wide receiver Brad Pyatt, who became a free agent in March when the Colts declined to tender him as a restricted free agent.

He averaged 26.7 yards on 29 kickoffs in 2003 and 2004 with the Colts. He missed the entire 2005 season after being placed on injured reserve in the final cutdown because of a shoulder injury.

Said coach Scott Linehan, "He's made a little bit of a name for himself at this point in his career as a guy that has the potential to be a pretty good returner. He's had some injuries. It's probably the reason why we had an opportunity to look at him. If he had stayed healthy, he might not be on the street."

Pyatt signed a one-year contract worth $32,500 that includes a $7,500 signing bonus.

—It appears defensive lineman Tyoka Jackson, the Rams' defensive captain the last three seasons, will not be re-signed. Jackson became an unrestricted free agent in March.

Jackson learned he probably wasn't in the team's plans when the contents of his locker were boxed up and sent to his home.

—New coach Scott Linehan enjoyed being at the league meeting in Orlando last month, especially being able to informally talk with other head coaches.

"What was great was getting a chance to meet the other head coaches," he said. "I had met some of them before. But maybe even better was meeting the first-time head coaches, and bouncing things off each other, and kind of being in support of each other.

"We're all in the same boat. We're all trying to get the same thing done, the same goals accomplished. It gives you a little bit of security knowing that you're not the only one going through it this year."

QUOTE TO NOTE: "It came to a point where I stopped watching the games. I got frustrated, throwing remotes at the TV with the defense messing up or people dropping interceptions. I stopped going to a couple home games. I just started playing video games and rehab, rehab, rehab. Any video game, just to get my mind off football." — CB Jerametrius Butler on being sidelined for the 2005 season with a knee injury.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

FRANCHISE PLAYER: None.

TRANSITION PLAYER: None.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: P Bryan Barker; RB Aveion Cason; CB Terry Fair; DE Tyoka Jackson; QB Jamie Martin; OG Tom Nutten; TE Roland Williams.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (not tendered offers): CB Chris Johnson; LB Jeremy Loyd.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: WR Kevin Curtis; DE Brandon Green; CB DeJuan Groce; WR Shaun McDonald.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS: CB Dwight Anderson; DT Jeremy Calahan; S Dwaine Carpenter; TE Jerome Collins; DE Clifford Dukes; LB Mike Goolsby.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED: WR Isaac Bruce; LS Chris Massey; OG Blaine Saipaia; QB Jeff Smoker; LB Drew Wahlroos.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED: CB Fakhir Brown; S Corey Chavous; RB Tony Fisher; QB Gus Frerotte; DT La'Roi Glover; WR Brad Pyatt; LB Raonall Smith; OT Todd Steussie; P Matt Turk; LB Will Witherspoon.

PLAYERS LOST: S Adam Archuleta; LB Chris Claiborne; S Mike Furrey; RB Arlen Harris; CB Corey Ivy; DT Damione Lewis; OT Matt Morgan; NT Ryan Pickett; OL Rex Tucker.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: Inside Slant

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Jackson learned he probably wasn't in the team's plans when the contents of his locker were boxed up and sent to his home.
    Isnt there a better way to find out you've been cut? I mean where is the communication at? I think Tyoka deserved better than that. I mean the way they made it sound is that he found out because his stuff was sent home. Maybe it's just me but I would rather be told to my face.
    Just Fix It

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

"It came to a point where I stopped watching the games. I got frustrated, throwing remotes at the TV with the defense messing up or people dropping interceptions. I stopped going to a couple home games. I just started playing video games and rehab, rehab, rehab. Any video game, just to get my mind off football." — CB Jerametrius Butler on being sidelined for the 2005 season with a knee injury.
    Haha I love that guy. Atleast that will really drive him to show the St. Louis Rams fans that we aren't going to see that this year!
    RamsFan16

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Butler does sound like exactly what we need to shore up our d. I know the feeling about playing video games to forget. During the Texans game last year, I actually split my screen on my big screen and played ncaa fb on one side with the Rams on the other. I have never done that during a live Rams game before.

viper is offline Registered User

Pyatt signed a one-year contract worth $32,500 that includes a $7,500 signing bonus.
    Is that correct or a typo? I didn't know that players could be paid so little. Isn't there a league minimum on all players?

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser
    Isnt there a better way to find out you've been cut? I mean where is the communication at? I think Tyoka deserved better than that. I mean the way they made it sound is that he found out because his stuff was sent home. Maybe it's just me but I would rather be told to my face.
    I agree, if that's what really happened. It might be sour grapes by Tyoka. I would think that his agent would have been in contact with the Rams and knew they weren't interested in renewing his contract before sending his stuff home.
    Last edited by bigredman; -04-16-2006 at 03:31 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Harsh. It's business, but that's HARSH.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Harsh. It's business, but that's HARSH.
    I agree. The Rams could have said something to him instead of doing that. Disrespectful.
    RamsFan16

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    I agree, if that's what really happened. It might be sour grapes by Tyoka. I would think that his agent would have been in contact with the Rams and knew they weren't interested in renewing his contract before sending his stuff home.
    I tend to think that its sour grapes as well. I'm sure there is more to the story than that. That's just too disrepectful.

lilant2398 is offline Registered User

Yes what they did to Jackson Was Horrible

RealRam is online now Registered User

Hmm, regarding TJ's cut from the team, I really doubt that that was the way the Rams "communicated" their decision.

That is simply NOT done, especially to a former Captain and all-around good man. I think he already knew what had taken place by the time his belongings were removed from the locker room.

Best wishes to Captain Tyoka. Thanks for your leadership and contributions, friend! :clanram:

Daspeerman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by viper
    Is that correct or a typo? I didn't know that players could be paid so little. Isn't there a league minimum on all players?
    thats got to be $350,000 , there is a league minimum.
    DASPEERMAN!!!!!!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave intending on arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in hand, body thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Glad to hear that McDolnald, Curtis,and Looker are mentioned in Linehan's scheme of things to come.

My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Black Hills Ramman is offline Registered User

I truly think there has to be more to the story regarding TJ's cut. No way Linehan et al are going to set up that kind of atmosphere in the locker room.
    BLACK HILLS RAMMAN

txramsfan is offline Registered User

About TJ's cut, does it really shock you how it was handled? If it does, then I'm sorry but to me nothing any front office of any NFL team shocks me after the Baltimore Colts packed up and moved to Indy IN ONE NIGHT.

The bigger the business, the more money involved, the more cut throat it gets. That's just capitalism.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast