Thread: Inside slant

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Inside slant

Rams report:

Feb. 24, 2007
    The Sports Xchange

Inside slant Notes, quotes Strategy and personnel

Guard Adam Timmerman was a large part of the turnaround the Rams franchise made after being signed as a free agent in the 1999 off-season. The Rams won the Super Bowl that season, and Timmerman became a warrior and leader on the line.

Now, it looks like his days may be numbered. Richie Incognito started the final three games of the 2006 season at right guard after Timmerman suffered an injury to his ribs. His streak of 184 consecutive games played was stopped.

It appears Incognito will continue to be the right guard, and the Rams have Adam Goldberg as a swingman that can play guard and tackle. Thus, Timmerman becomes an expensive option at $2.4 million in 2007, a total that includes a roster bonus of $200,000 that is due to be paid March 4.

Close friend Andy McCollum, who missed most of last season after injuring his knee in the season opener, is expected back with a salary of $1 million. McCollum is 36 and Timmerman 35.

Agent Mark Bartelstein told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, "I've talked to Jay (president of football operations Jay Zygmunt) on it. I think there's a pretty strong possibility that Adam could be on the market. There's nothing definitive; that's just kind of my sense."

Said coach Scott Linehan, "As of right now, we're still kind of status quo. If we made a decision on one or both, it would probably be something we'd do prior to March 2. I've met with Jay about it."

Timmerman just wants to know what his fate will be.

"I hope to hear a definitive answer soon," Timmerman said. "The sooner the better. You want to be prepared to move on to another team if they make the decision that they don't want you. I guess I can't control what Mr. Linehan decides. The feedback that I got from him during the season was that I was playing well and playing winning football.

"I think the people in the organization from the top down - John (Shaw), Jay (Zygmunt), Charley (Armey), really everybody in the building - I've always been treated with respect from them over the years. I'd definitely like to continue playing with the Rams and finish my career here."

It's possible the Rams could ask Timmerman to take a pay cut, but there would still be no guarantee he would make the team with the younger Goldberg around. Goldberg will be a restricted free agent, and would likely get the lowest tender of at least $800,000.

Timmerman's contract is due to expire after the 2008 season. On the roster, Timmerman would count $3.5 million against the salary cap. If the Rams release him prior to paying the signing bonus, two years of prorated bonus at $1.1 million a year would count against the cap for a 2007 charge of $2.2 million.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Inside slant

bring back timmerman its the least you can do

keith m. klink Guest

Re: Inside slant

hey, you want to keep steussie, ask timmerman to restructure his contract and sign him for a lesser pay but extend his years , he can be a sub, teach the younger kids the game and retire a ram. if he would take the i million like mccallum, why not let him stay, that would be a good mix of vet's and young players.