Posted 5/13/2007 1:25 PM ET

Consider 2006 a lost season for Claude Terrell. Now, he wants to make up for it. So far, so good.
"It's been quite impressive," coach Scott Linehan said. "He's been working very hard since he's been back, and his focus is on competing and making the team. I'm always going to be open to a person's newfound motivation, and (his) is much better than it was. It's been a 180 to this point."

Linehan was distressed with Terrell at the end of the 2006 season when it was revealed Terrell had left the team for apparent wrist surgery, but never had it. Terrell had injured his wrist during his rookie season in 2005 when he started 10 games.

He underwent surgery in Jan. 2006, but was able to do little during the team's off-season program, and then pain returned at the start of training camp.

"I rushed back, and it never got the proper rest it needed to heal," Terrell said.

As for the second surgery that never occurred, Terrell said, "I went to see one of the best wrist doctors in the country, and he was like, 'You don't need surgery, you just need rest.'"

Terrell also said the doctor told him a second surgery "could possibly be career-ending. That was a no-brainer, once he said that. I mean, career-ending. ... I'm just getting my start."

He wasn't present at the start of the team's off-season program, but has been in attendance over the last several weeks, seeking to show Linehan he is committed.

"It's another challenge," he said. I'm looking at it like a rookie year all over again."

The Rams have their rookie minicamp this weekend, with some other younger players invited. Terrell is one of them.

He said, "My wrist feels fine, and I'm looking forward to it (minicamp), actually. If I start at the bottom of the ladder, I'll work my way up to the top."

NOTES, QUOTES

óWR Shaine Smith is at the Rams' rookie minicamp, starting his quest to be the third straight unheralded receiver from Hofstra to make an NFL team. Devale Ellis is currently with Detroit and Marques Colston with New Orleans.

"I've been through enough trials and tribulations that once I get into a camp, I know I can make it," Smith says. "How I get there is how I get there."

Said Ellis, "Shaine's a playmaker, and that's what they want in the NFL. He played in an offense where you need to know how to read coverages. We pretty much ran every route in the NFL. Shaine already knows how to do that."

Added Hofstra receivers coach Jaime Elizondo, "His work ethic will surprise people. Consistency is in the details, and Shaine is figuring that out."

óCoach Scott Linehan talked about then irony of the off-season.

On the first day of free agency, the Rams traded a fifth-round pick to Detroit for defensive end James Hall. A few days before the draft, they sent a fifth-round pick they had acquired from Buffalo for defensive end Anthony Hargrove to Kansas City for kick returner Dante Hall.

Then, on draft day, the Rams traded a fourth-round pick to the Lions for two of the Lions' four fifth-round picks, including the one they got from the Rams for Hall.

"Essentially we were able to get Dante Hall and James Hall for a fourth-round pick," Linehan said.

With the fifth-round choices, the Rams selected center Dustin Fry and nose tackle Clifton Ryan.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "The eye in the sky don't lie; just watch the practice tape every day. This and that can be said, but when you see actual footage of what's being done, all that should be put to bed." - Guard Claude Terrell on coaches watching tape of practices.