Thread: Inside slant

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Inside slant

Rams report: May 19, 2007
    The Sports Xchange

The biggest area of intrigue for the Rams as training camp looms is the interior of the defensive line. The Rams received sub-par play from nose tackle Jimmy Kennedy last season, while three-technique tackle La'Roi Glover was forced to be on the field for too many snaps.

"We'd like to see him have less snaps, but not less production," coach Scott Linehan said.

The selection of Adam Carriker in the first round will increase the competition, along with the additions of Clifton Ryan in the fifth round and Keith Jackson in the seventh.

As the team concluded its second week of Organized Team Activities (OTAs), Carriker was seeing time at both tackle spots, while second-year defensive tackle Claude Wroten also worked some at defensive end.

The club is still searching for a fourth end in the rotation that currently includes Leonard Little, James Hall and Victor Adeyanju. Wroten was forced to spend time at end last season because of injuries.

Linehan has been pleased with off-season of work from Wroten, who was a third-round pick last year.

"He and Glover are basically going to be playing the three-technique spot, and we want no fall-off when Claude goes in," Linehan said. "He had an excellent off-season, as far as his training and preparation. He understands a lot more what we're trying to get done. And he's had an excellent six (OTA) practices."

Kennedy played nose tackle last season for the first time following the departure of Ryan Pickett in free agency. Kennedy had his moments, but was inconsistent with his technique, leading to breakdowns in run defense.

Said Linehan, "He's still penciled in as the starting nose tackle, but it's going to be interesting to see what happens between now and the Carolina game (season opener). He has to perform at a high level to be in the ball game."

Linehan was effusive in his praise of Carriker, who played mostly defensive end in college.

"He's made a lot of great impressions on myself, the coaching staff and the rest of the team," Linehan said. "He has a natural feel for playing inside."

Noting that Carriker will surely be on the field in some capacity by the start of the season, Linehan added, "Right now, he's handling both tackle positions with relative ease."

As for that fourth end and where Wroten fits, Linehan said, "We're finding out what we have. It's a good situation and an opportunity for Claude."

Copyright (C) 2007 The Sports Xchange. All Rights Reserved.

bruce4life is online now Registered User

Re: Inside slant

Sounds Like Info We Already Knew Someone Is Just Regurgitating It.....

Rambos is online now Registered User

"He's made a lot of great impressions on myself, the coaching staff and the rest of the team," Linehan said. "He has a natural feel for playing inside."
    Great he is a stud.

defensive tackle Claude Wroten also worked some at defensive end.
    I did not see this coming...

Keenum is offline Registered User

I'm really hyped up on Carriker this year.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Go Bartell...Wow that was random. Yeah, I see Ryan getting some playing time this year, and being efficient in that time. I see being a big part of an improved D. Thats what I see. I see our D playing good. I don't know why, I just do.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Carriker was seeing time at both tackle spots, while second-year defensive tackle Claude Wroten also worked some at defensive end.
    I wondered if this might happen. Wroten was playing end for us at the end of last season due to injuries. I'd rather we try to sign a real defensive end for that second backup spot.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Carriker playing both tackle positions with "ease" is exciting, hopefully (based off of the talent he seems to have) he'll be able to have the tackle positions down like nothing, and will be starting at one of the tackle positions early if not at the start of the season.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams