unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

iNTENSiTY AT RAMS CAMP EViDENT..

Intensity on display at Spagnuolo’s camp

Posted: August 6th, 2009 | Steve Wyche | Tags: St. Louis Rams, Steve Spagnuolo
    This is my third training camp this year (New Orleans and Minnesota) and though I’m just getting things started, the tempo and gusto of the Rams practice I just witnessed is pretty intense.
    New coach Steve Spagnuolo is trying to reshape this team by figuring out who can keep up and who can grind through the high-paced, high-contact training camp. Spagnuolo’s staff also is doing a lot of individual teaching.
    If a player makes a mistake, a coach — including Spagnuolo — will pull him to the side and show him what he needs to do right — not what he is doing wrong. Not much negative stuff going on and most of the yelling is encouragement. I saw Falcons coach Mike Smith use the same strategy last year in his first camp with the Falcons and, as we know, it paid benefits. The positive reinforcement amid a demanding camp helps guys, especially young players, which the Rams have plenty of, get through.
    Steve Wyche

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: iNTENSiTY AT RAMS CAMP EViDENT..

I like this. Pulling players aside to help them is much better than embarrassing them by showing off what they're doing wrong. That won't help nearly as much.

Further, the fact that the yelling is to encourage them reminds me of the camp profile that Russ Tucker did for SI.com of the Steelers, where the defensive starters were yelling at the 3rd string defense to pull it together and get off the field. I see great things in the future for this team!