Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Interesting Amendola comment from Les Snead at the Cmbine

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: Interesting Amendola comment from Les Snead at the Cmbine

I ran accross a blog related to the drama of Wes Welker and his contract woes with the Pats FO. Darn if I can find the artical, but in a nut shell the writer hints that if Welker is let loose on the market, that DA would possibly be in the mix to replace him.

I'd say thats possible, though the body of evidience isn't clear that DA is the equal to W. Welker. But what is clear Welker isn't what he was 2 years ago--perhaps I am wrong but I see his ball catching skills seem to have deminished

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I'd like him a lot more if his 2012 WR additions had been more impactful, thus strengthening the Rams' bargaining position. Can't really argue the potential of Quick or Givens after that statement about Amendola.

Imo, the same can be said about the SJ39 situation & Pead's slow start & D-Rich's slow fade. It'd be a lot easier to go with a no-name bruiser like Ganaway if you knew there was some viable productivity from a complementary back.
    You make an interesting point. While the comment may have been in regards to the Amendola situation, the sentiment could apply to both Quick and Pead as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    If we let Amendola go, I want to see Tavon Austin in a Rams uniform, plain and simple.
    That's interesting, since you said a week or so ago that you didn't feel he'd be a great fit here.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I'd like him a lot more if his 2012 WR additions had been more impactful, thus strengthening the Rams' bargaining position. Can't really argue the potential of Quick or Givens after that statement about Amendola.

Imo, the same can be said about the SJ39 situation & Pead's slow start & D-Rich's slow fade. It'd be a lot easier to go with a no-name bruiser like Ganaway if you knew there was some viable productivity from a complementary back.
    Ill give you Quick because if DA doesnt get the pass then Quick wont either.But Givens as a 4th round rookie produced this season right away and he was healthy all season.Something DA has never been able to do,not to mention he got like 666 yards and what 3 TD's or something and with half the receptions its takes DA to get those stats.DA will have those numbers with 80 receptions while givens does it in 40=BIG play.You cant even with a straight face tell me Givens wasnt product for his rookie year let alone the expectations where he was drafted you cant be anything but thrilled.Just saying
    Agrajag likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

This is what a tight cap will do.

Had the Rams had the kind of cap space I was led to believe they'd have this year, resigning Danny would likely be done by now.

But it may be a blessing in disquise, as there are talented options in the draft.

Also, I can't help but think how having a Greg Salas might help clear this whole thing up.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Also, I can't help but think how having a Greg Salas might help clear this whole thing up.
    I'm sure he could be had from the Eagles for practically nothing. Or the Rams could just wait a few months until the Eagles cut him.

Not sure that's Amendola's replacement though.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39WillRunYaOva View Post
    Ill give you Quick because if DA doesnt get the pass then Quick wont either.But Givens as a 4th round rookie produced this season right away and he was healthy all season.Something DA has never been able to do,not to mention he got like 666 yards and what 3 TD's or something and with half the receptions its takes DA to get those stats.DA will have those numbers with 80 receptions while givens does it in 40=BIG play.You cant even with a straight face tell me Givens wasnt product for his rookie year let alone the expectations where he was drafted you cant be anything but thrilled.Just saying
    I'm thrilled about Givens' promising start . I probably shouldn't have lumped them together.Still, I can see Amendola's agent arguing that Givens' promising start certainly is just as much, if not more, about potential. CG's numbers are not those of a bona fide starting NFL wideout any more than DA's are.

And I think the failure of Steve Smith and the really slow start by Quick- two of Snead's first decisions - have made the Amendola situation more difficult, that's all. I'm not down on the guy overall just not willing to love him up because he kinda pooped his own nest a bit there,imo. I'm even optimistic that Quick and Pead will be fine; it just doesn't help much now when you have to make the rather feeble production vs potential argument & all you've got is potential at the position, really.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Had the Rams had the kind of cap space I was led to believe they'd have this year
    Who caused you to believe that AFTER RE-SIGNING CHRIS LONG AND JAMES LAURINAITIS the Rams would have a ton of cap space this year?

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I have to agree with much of the sentiment in this thread, DA just gets hurt too much to get a big contract from anyone. He is the most dynamic guy we have on offense, but he spent at least half of the last 2 years on the bench with a variety of injuries. I hope we can get him in the 3-4 mil range.

On the other hand, we have three guys in need a major playing time, and we need a true #1 and not another good or excellent #2.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

As far as Quick and Givens go, Amendola's agent can't use them to negotiate. They can't re-negotiate their own deals until after their 3rd year, new league rule. As such, they aren't comparables for DA since they have rookie contracts and two more years to earn larger deals without the hope of getting a new one (Unless they get cut, in which case it would still be a bad comparable).

Also, if DA's agent think he's let DA hit FA and the Pats will come running to the door with a blank check desperate to get Welker's replacement...It ain't happening. They'd probably show interest, but the Patriots have lost a few key FAs too because they don't like to pay guys. In fact, ask Welker himself how generous the Pats have been.

Also, didn't Edelmen start the year in place of Welker? They might be willing to give him a shot. Even if not, it would hurt DA's leverage, and given his injury history, I can't see the Pats opening the vault for him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12