Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Interesting conversation over at the Hawks board

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Interesting conversation over at the Hawks board

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Guess we're reading different things.
    Other than some here, and Bernie laying out why Bradford is still the best option for the Rams, I haven't seen or heard any support for Bradford's ability lately, have you?

I could not disagree with you more.

Manziel? Ugh. Overhyped future bust.
    On this we agree. IMO, Bradford throws a beautiful ball, especially downfield. And Manziel, a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I am alright with people overlooking the Rams and thinking SB sucks. Some of it is ridiculously stupid. Had a acquaintance tell me that the Rams should have acquired Terrel Pryor and that he'd beat SB out for the starting spot and the offense would be awesome. Dude is a bonehead Raider fan. He thinks Shaub is going to put them in the playoffs as AFCW champs.

Look, Homer's be Homer's.

Sam has a lot to prove and I have seen enough to believe that the talent is there. He needs to man up and take control though. If that means he and the OC go around a bit, so be it. Ownership has to be taken of this offense.
    Semper Fi!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I am reminded of a quote which hangs in our school locker room:

"A winner respects those who are better than him and tries to learn from them"
    "A loser resents those who have success and tries to find chinks in their armor"

Russell Wilson might be overrated and the beneficiary of good play around him, but he's not exactly throwing to Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald out there. He also had 3/5 of his offensive line hurt for a portion of the season. I'll take 26 TDs and 10/9 Ints from our starting QB in successive seasons any day of the week. To not give the guy credit for that is unfair. That he was an unheralded guy due to his size makes it all the more impressive. I don't like Seattle, but give the devil his due.

We can play the "what if we had this guy" game all day. We have enough to concern ourselves with in hoping Sam Bradford- a number one overall pick- finally puts together a breakout, healthy and winning season without trying to find shortcomings in a guy who is a Super bowl Champion.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -06-04-2014 at 09:57 AM.

MACD is offline Registered User

Wilson now has a healthy Percy Harvin. When the man is healthy he is a TD waiting to happen. If the run first offense that Sam is stepping into with a proven back can click, Tavon can be that kind of guy...IF Schottenheimer can figger it out. That dynamic will make average receivers look like world beaters.

And Sam will put Wilson to shame with that kind of advantage.
    Randart likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

We all think Kraepernick and Wilson are overrated. Is it much of a stretch to think the whiner and hawk fans think Bradford is as well?
    live4ramin likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    We all think Kraepernick and Wilson are overrated. Is it much of a stretch to think the whiner and hawk fans think Bradford is as well?

I think that's a good point. Most fans of other teams get glimpses of Bradford from highlights, stat lines, fantasy football, etc. and don't get the entire picture. They also make "good/bad" judgments about players. You could probably do it yourself by looking at a list of random NFL players you would know. "oh he's good, he's not good, etc." No one really thinks of Andy Dalton's offensive line, coaching schemes, receiving group, etc. when casually talking about him. That is, unless you're a big Bengals fan. They just know he hasn't lived up to his status or potential.

So of course every casual fan or fans of other teams is going to think Bradford is a bust. First overall pick + 0 playoff appearances = bust, right? It's probably difficult to find one of those same people who could tell you his QB rating, his touchdown/int ratio, or other meaningful stats, not to mention all the coaching and scheme changes, instability along the offensive line, or how dreadful the receivers around him have been.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Other than some here, and Bernie laying out why Bradford is still the best option for the Rams, I haven't seen or heard any support for Bradford's ability lately, have you?
    Sure. I'm on a couple of Rams groups on Facebook and, while there are certainly Bradford detractors, most people who have expressed their opinion believe that Bradford is poised for a big year.

On this we agree. IMO, Bradford throws a beautiful ball, especially downfield. And Manziel, a disaster waiting to happen IMO.
    I would take Bradford over every QB in this year's draft.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

This is a hard question to answer, Russell is a good QB. The same was said about Kurt Warner, but he proved others wrong. He took two different teams to a Super Bowl. Rams problem was the lack of a Run game at the beginning of the Season, that improved as the season went along and especially after ZAC took over the ground game. I don't think Bradford is better than Russell, however with the right scheme and things going our way the Rams can make the playoffs.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Sure. I'm on a couple of Rams groups on Facebook and, while there are certainly Bradford detractors, most people who have expressed their opinion believe that Bradford is poised for a big year.
    Yeah, we're definitely reading/hearing different things.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Another bradford thread.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Actually, it's a stretch to think whiner and hawk fans think, period.
    HUbison likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

With our running game about to reach new levels under Schotty and Fish, Sam had better be working on polishing up his play action magic. I do worry some about Sam's mental state after being beaten up so much; then add his injury to that (will he trust his knee etc.), and there is cause for concern.

Countering that will be our improved line and running game. When Sam is able to believe in the running game, that should really be a boost for him. When defenses have to respect the run, the play action will buy the extra ticks he's never had with any consistency. Fisher knows this - think Greg Robinson. Remember that picture of Sam looking at the playbook on the sideline shaking his head in complete and utter frustration?

This is a new year, and I am betting on Sam to bounce back and validate his number one overall selection. I think we've got enough pieces around him to have a good shot against anyone. (That includes the defense too!)

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers
    First overall pick + 0 playoff appearances = bust, right?
    Good observation, beers. The seven #1 pick QBs in the past ten drafts have combined for a whopping total of three playoff wins (Luck, Ryan, & Alex Smith each have 1 win).

So are all the other guys (Newton, Bradford, Stafford, & Russell) busts? Well, JaMarcus Russell, yes. But Bradford is no more of a bust for not winning a playoff game as Newton or Stafford. It just means that teams, that is TEAMS win and lose games, not QBs.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chucknbob View Post
    No, but having Bradford on the hawks would make them the favorite to win the West again this year.

I don't think that QB is our issue (at least when Bradford is healthy) our problem last year was scheme, protecting the QB, and brick-handed receivers. Our scheme was fixed last year, or O-line is improved, it depends on if our receivers can grow from last season.
    whoo! im sure glad we addressed the brick handed wr issue by not drafting any of most talented group of WR to hit the draft ever.

And good thing we drafted a person who is suspect at pass protection at #2 as well! I feel more confident now than ever we will make the play-offs than I have since we won our last Superbowl! Whoohoo!

punahou is offline Registered User

Good observation, beers. The seven #1 pick QBs in the past ten drafts have combined for a whopping total of three playoff wins (Luck, Ryan, & Alex Smith each have 1 win).

So are all the other guys (Newton, Bradford, Stafford, & Russell) busts? Well, JaMarcus Russell, yes. But Bradford is no more of a bust for not winning a playoff game as Newton or Stafford. It just means that teams, that is TEAMS win and lose games, not QBs.
    that may be the case but...

1) theyve led their teams to winning seasons more often than not
    2) theyve made the payoffs more often than not

Do you guys truly believe Bradford is on par with Luck, Ryan, or Smith?

the only thing Bradford has proven since college is

1) to get injured
    2) have people make excuses for his 4 year lackluster performance.

if he cant prove himslef this year, then what will you all think?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast