Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Interesting conversation over at the Hawks board

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Interesting conversation over at the Hawks board

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Do you guys truly believe Bradford is on par with Luck, Ryan, or Smith?
    Luck? Probably not. I think that kid probably has a higher ceiling.

Ryan? Absolutely. Give me a season of Bradford throwing to Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez, and we'd see what kind of numbers he's capable of producing.

Smith? I'd take Bradford over him every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

the only thing Bradford has proven since college is

1) to get injured
    2) have people make excuses for his 4 year lackluster performance.
    Yes, he's been injured. Hardly unique for a QB.

As for the "excuses"... whatever. If having a bad OL for his initial years, and sub-par receivers for most of his career are "excuses," then so be it.

if he cant prove himslef this year, then what will you all think?
    I will think that the Rams will be willing to look at the QB position in a draft that, right at the moment, looks to potentially have 4-5 first round talents at the position.
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Good observation, beers. The seven #1 pick QBs in the past ten drafts have combined for a whopping total of three playoff wins (Luck, Ryan, & Alex Smith each have 1 win).

So are all the other guys (Newton, Bradford, Stafford, & Russell) busts? Well, JaMarcus Russell, yes. But Bradford is no more of a bust for not winning a playoff game as Newton or Stafford. It just means that teams, that is TEAMS win and lose games, not QBs.

I was not on the board during Bulger years. are these conversations similar vis a vis Sam and Bulger?

thoey is offline Registered User

Hey, I am a SB fan, but I am also a realist. I hope and want him to do well this year. But if he doesn't, it might be time to start thinking about a fresh start.
    This space for rent...

Rambos is online now Registered User

Fisher today said

Appearing on NFL Network's NFL AM on Wednesday, coach Jeff Fisher emphasized there is "no doubt whatsoever" that Bradford will be under center for the season opener in early September."Everybody does projections. We projected his numbers out had he stayed healthy last year," Fisher added. "They would have been quite impressive, and who knows what would have happened down the stretch."

So here are those numbers. 3856 yards 32 TDs 9 INTs. So here is my question if Sam goes out and hits these numbers that Fisher calls quite impressive and we have a losing record and don't make the playoffs, do we then move on from Sam? Any one want to chime in on that?

Haste is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Fisher today said

Appearing on NFL Network's NFL AM on Wednesday, coach Jeff Fisher emphasized there is "no doubt whatsoever" that Bradford will be under center for the season opener in early September."Everybody does projections. We projected his numbers out had he stayed healthy last year," Fisher added. "They would have been quite impressive, and who knows what would have happened down the stretch."

So here are those numbers. 3856 yards 32 TDs 9 INTs. So here is my question if Sam goes out and hits these numbers that Fisher calls quite impressive and we have a losing record and don't make the playoffs, do we then move on from Sam? Any one want to chime in on that?

I think if he hits the "3856 yards 32 TDs 9 INTs" stat-line then he should get an extension. How many years should we offer him for 1 good year, i'm not sure.

If he were to perform well and get a 6 year, 110 mil contract like Kaep did, then I think we would be making a huge gamble on him being consistent with injuries and performance.

I wish Sam's contract would be based purely on hitting milestones (Stats + wins etc) that could add up to top 5 QB salary numbers. That way, if he plays like an elite QB should, he gets paid as one.

Sam playing well and us missing the playoffs to me would mean that we look at our weak links on both sides of the ball and address them during FA / Draft and then next year we should be strong contenders.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    I think Bradford is average at best. There are many throws I have seen go before or after the receiver and other plays where I just shake my head and say "what was that?". He is a good guy, but I think he is missing "it". He is BulgerII for the most part and I would have entertained Johnny Football just to get a spark at the QB position. He gets 8 games in my book to complete his 3 year audition, but I'm thinking its time to go shopping for a QB again this year...
    Joe, I usually agree many of your points and position, but I think you're way off on this one. If you take Bradfords numbers last year and project them for the full year, they would have been far better then average. I would agree that he needs to stay on the field more, but I still believe Sam can be a very good QB, if not elite. I just don't know if the Rams offensive approach will promote an elite QB.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    Hey, I am a SB fan, but I am also a realist. I hope and want him to do well this year. But if he doesn't, it might be time to start thinking about a fresh start.
    I tend to agree. We shouldn't still be unsure about what this team has at QB after five seasons. Sam was on his way to a very good year in 2013, but it ended prematurely with injuries. Durability as an issue coming out of college, and in four years, Sam has missed almost a full season's worth of games. When we're talking long-term extension, that concerns me.

I like Sam and I think he is a very talented player. I'm looking forward to what he can do in 2014, surrounded by the most talent he's had as a pro. But if he isn't able to put together a sixteen-game season where he shows noticeable improvement and growth, then I could certainly understand those who would want this team to think about other options.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I could not disagree with you more.

Manziel? Ugh. Overhyped future bust.
    Funny, that could have been said about Bradford too!
    macrammer likes this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Fisher today said

Hi Rambos,

Those would indeed be impressive numbers. One of the most frustrating games last year for me was the first SF game. Sam played very poorly. If he plays poorly against our conference opponents AND we end up with losing record but his overall numbers are impressive I think it would be a hard pill to swallow. If he can play better against the West foes and put up good numbers but we have losing record, I think then some heat is off of him. But I think good numbers will equate to winning season given our d. Just my opinion of course.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post

Funny, that could have been said about Bradford too!
    Must be hard to be a Rams fan who has such a low opinion of our QB. If you're right, we probably have a bad season. If you're wrong, you just look silly. Basically, you can't win.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

There is NO WAY the Rams will have a losing season if Bradford has in the neighborhood of 32 TDs and 9 picks. Absolutely no way. If that were to happen, we would seriously have to consider the job Fisher and Snead have done with regards to drafting his surrounding cast.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    There is NO WAY the Rams will have a losing season if Bradford has in the neighborhood of 32 TDs and 9 picks. Absolutely no way. If that were to happen, we would seriously have to consider the job Fisher and Snead have done with regards to drafting his surrounding cast.
    Yeah I agree. Something would have to be seriously messed up somewhere else (defensive plague of injuries, string of fumbles or other turnovers) for us to wind up with another bad season with that stat line. The question would then be, does he earn the 25 million annual salary with his extension? Right now I don't think he's shown that he's worth it.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Hi Rambos,

Those would indeed be impressive numbers. One of the most frustrating games last year for me was the first SF game. Sam played very poorly. If he plays poorly against our conference opponents AND we end up with losing record but his overall numbers are impressive I think it would be a hard pill to swallow. If he can play better against the West foes and put up good numbers but we have losing record, I think then some heat is off of him. But I think good numbers will equate to winning season given our d. Just my opinion of course.
    One of the things Les and Fisher quote is Sams record against the West since they have been here. 5-1-2. Having a winning record IMO will be more important the him having great stats.

NJ Ramsfan1

And I think that's what Fisher thinks how can we lose. If Sam does what he has been doing we will be fine at QB. If you look at 2012 numbers Sam had 3,702 yards 21 TDs and 13 INTs. Not that far off and the team is much better then Fisher first year in 2012.

One of the things Les and Fisher quote is Sams record against the West since they have been here. 5-1-2. Having a winning record IMO will be more important the him having great stats.

I was looking at last year since your numbers projection was based on last year. In 2013, Rams were 1-5 against the NFC West. Sam was 1-1. He played a horrible game against the Whiners so I was basically saying he needs to show up big time against all teams but especially the WEST foes. Just like he did in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Must be hard to be a Rams fan who has such a low opinion of our QB. If you're right, we probably have a bad season. If you're wrong, you just look silly. Basically, you can't win.
    I think the most important thing is if the Rams can win. I would bet Moon would love to look "silly' as you put it.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast