RamWraith is offline Registered User

Interesting Garrett article -- My speculation

I am really beginning to wonder if he isn't being asked to an Assistant Head Coach / Offensive Coordinator??

Jason Garrett checks in, but to coach?

By Jim Thomasand Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/17/2009

Jason Garrett and Billy Devaney both insisted that there had been no job offered. And no job accepted. But there sure was a lot of circumstantial evidence to indicate otherwise.

Garrett, the embattled offensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys, arrived in St. Louis early Friday evening with his wife Brill for what was described as a "second interview" with the Rams.

Curious wording, since Garrett already had his finalist interview Wednesday in Los Angeles with Rams ownership and team management. Even more curious since Devaney, the Rams' general manager, told the Post-Dispatch on Thursday that "the interviews are done."

Garrett also arrived in town with a garment bag — the type used to carry a suit. But Devaney insisted that no job was even close to being offered. He described Garrett's presence in St. Louis as "part of the interview process."

Devaney added: "Jason didn't know much about St. Louis, and he wanted to look at the facility. We're not close to moving on Jason Garrett. I'm not even going to say he's the leading guy."

Take that for what it's worth, but Garrett is the only finalist to visit St. Louis.

Devaney also told the Post-Dispatch that he'd already made his recommendation to owner Chip Rosenbloom on whom he wanted to hire as the next Rams head coach. Devaney said he hoped to reach a decision Monday.

Garrett and Devaney have a lot in common. They're both from New Jersey. They're both big Bruce Springsteen fans, and they're both represented by the same agent — David Dunn. Dunn has not returned several phone messages from the Post-Dispatch.

While still at Lambert airport shortly after his arrival in St. Louis, Garrett was asked if he had been offered the Rams' job.

"I have not," he said.

When asked how far along he was in the process, Garrett said: "That's not for me to answer. I did meet with Billy Devaney and a number of the other people in the ownership group in Los Angeles a couple of days ago, and they invited me back for a second interview."

Garrett said he had no idea if a news conference was imminent to announce him as the new Rams coach.

"I just was asked to come back up here, and I'm excited to be back here," Garrett said. "I think there are a lot of things that would attract me to this job here. Certainly the history of the franchise and Billy being in place and a number of other things. It's a great city, great tradition here with the Rams. So there are number of things that make this attractive."

Garrett, 42, said he thinks he's ready to become an NFL head coach.

"I have a lot of experience both as a player and as a coach in the National Football League," he said. "It's an exciting opportunity just to talk about becoming the head coach of the St. Louis Rams, and we'll continue that process."

Garrett had a 12-year career in the NFL as a backup quarterback, earning two Super Bowl rings as a Cowboy. But he has only five years experience in coaching — one year as a graduate assistant with Princeton, his alma mater, in 1990 — and four years in the NFL. Garrett was quarterbacks coach for the Miami Dolphins in 2005 and 2006, working under offensive coordinator Scott Linehan in 2005.

Linehan was subsequently hired as Rams head coach in '06 but was fired four games into the 2008 season, leading to the current Rams' coaching search. Garrett joined the Cowboys in 2007 as offensive coordinator. After a highly acclaimed '07 season with Dallas, Garrett was considered one of the hottest head-coaching candidates in the NFL.

He decided to stay in Dallas, however, and has come under criticism following an underachieving season in which the offense struggled, the Cowboys missed the playoffs, and there was discord among wide receiver Terrell Owens and other offensive players. There has been significant speculation that owner Jerry Jones is now trying to push Garrett out of Dallas.

So if the Rams do indeed name Garrett as their next head coach, it figures to be a controversial decision. In an Stltoday.com poll asking readers to choose the next head coach out of five finalists, Garrett received only 4 percent of the vote out of nearly 9,000 votes.

As word spread Friday afternoon that Garrett was heading to St. Louis, the Rams' ticket office was flooded with angry calls from fans about his possible selection.

Truth is offline Registered User

Re: Interesting Garrett article -- My speculation

Thanks for the post. If another prospect was headed into St Louis as well, I might agree that Garrett could be in town as a new OC or Assistant. However, no one else seems to be moving toward Missouri.

I can't say that having 2 of his 4 years of NFL coaching experience as an assistant to Scott Linehan in Miami is a ringing endorsement. Nor could it be said that his achievements in Dallas were all that spectacular given the level of talent on that team. It could be that he's the only candidate interested in what the Rams have to offer.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Good for us Rams fans. If I knew that number I would've called too. We're sick of it NOT being right...If he's the OC/Assistant Head Coach, then so be it, that's fine but not the head coach. Frazier, Spags or Ryan, or even Gruden, all of the fans would be happy with any of those picks...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Honest to God, when reading these threads about Garrett last night, I thought the same thing: that Garrett may be mulling a move to St; Louis NOT to be head coach but to be offensive coordinator. It makes sense- his past connection to DeVaney and the fact that he's already been an offensive coordinator. It is also not surprising that he may want out of Dallas- a dysfunctional unit if there ever was one, despite good talent. If he's not all that familiar with St. Louis, it is logical he'd want to go directly there to check out the facilities and the city before considering a move- if a position is offered.

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

i doubt he would come to a horrible team which could tarnish his rep even more for the same pay or less.
    which leads me to- do you think that chip would pay $3 mil for a coordinator?
    they now say money isnt an issue but i doubt that to a degree.

maineram is offline Registered User

Ok then Devaney has a HC in mind and is now picking assitants for him before he even arrives ?? This doesn't make to much sense to me. Unless Spags is the guy and decided to take a vacation and let devaney pick his staff and ringing in to Spags on the beaches of Cancun.

Bizzare to say the least if this theory is true.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

rampower is offline Registered User

It was my first thought when he jetted back in, maybe the deal for HC is already done and dusted, as no HC is gonna let somebody else choose coordinators first, then HC. With Garrett's aleged falling out in dallas, maybe the rams have moved quick to get him in with a defensive minded HC. Sounds good to me. I mustadmit I am still suprised that Haslett was let go, why interview him in the first place if deep down they knew they didn't want him. Maybe they were worried they couldn't get anybody better and now they have, he is gone. I think the rams have known since the release of Haslett, who would be coach. The only reason, I can see that they would not have announced it, is if its Ryan.

Could we be looking at Ryan and Garrett?
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Garrett is already the one of the highest paid coordinators, and we are going to pay him more plus hire a head coach who's salary will be close to his? Just doesn't add up for me, but if DeVaney can pull this off kudos to him,

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Is this not the Rams FO at it's best ? they could be hiring a head coach that nobody wants and it's not just about the fans but does anyone really believe that with the other guys who are still available this is the best choice ? we should know by the end of the weekend.

JimmyG37 is offline Registered User

While the fact that Garrett appears to have been the only of the finalists to visit St. Louis so far could lead people to believe that Garrett could be named the head coach, there was one thing that made me think that him coming here might not be that big of a deal. None of these people being interviewed that are finalists have seen Rams Park. If you were interviewing for a head coaching job (or most jobs for that matter), wouldn't you want to see the building in which you will be performing the majority of your work? That was something that entered my head earlier yesterday, before the whole Garrett flying to St. Louis thing took place.

With that said, my idea doesn't carry much weight if none of the other guys are flown into St. Louis in the next day or two.

HornIt is offline Registered User

I think the idea that Garrett is in St. Louis for reasons other than to become the Rams next Head Coach is serious wishful thinking on the parts of those who don't like the choice.

It's possible something else is going on here, but the chances are super remote.

If I had to bet the house, I'd bet Jason Garrett is the Rams Head Coach......and I'm just fine with that. I like the choice.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

EGAD! Isn't that some sort of heresy? Should I be finding extra pieces of wood to burn you at the stake?

I dunno, but I agree with you. I have no problem with the pick. I'd have no problem with any of them.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dave View Post
    i doubt he would come to a horrible team which could tarnish his rep even more for the same pay or less.
    which leads me to- do you think that chip would pay $3 mil for a coordinator?
    they now say money isnt an issue but i doubt that to a degree.
    Tarnish his rep?..If anything whatever happened with him in Dallas could have done far more damage to his rep than him being any type of coach with the Rams, wether he was at fault or not. Your right though, maybe Chip wouldnt pay $3 mil a year to have him as OC, but he does know Devaney real well it seems, and I doubt he's going to stay in Dallas so why wouldnt he at least give it a shot, even if it wasnt a matter of matching his previous pay??..I would definitely rather have this guy as OC than HC anyday!..

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    I am really beginning to wonder if he isn't being asked to an Assistant Head Coach / Offensive Coordinator??
    Well...with the news about Spags your looking very smart indeed.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!