Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Interesting Information about Saunders

Al Saunders

by: Steve Savard
    KMOV Channel 4
    4:53 PM Sun, Jan 27, 2008

Hard to tell who's really pushing for Al Saunders' hire at Rams Park. I read that it's Scott Linehan which it may be but I also think John Shaw is the guy who wants Saunders now that he's available.

Here are the Saunders positives: He has a lot of play calling experience and had success in Kansas City with Trent Green and Mike Martz' offense. He basically took Martz' playbook to K-C. But, he ran the ball a lot more than Martz did because he didn't have the receivers and he had Priest Holmes in the backfield. This is a similiar situation with Steven Jackson the dominant talent on offense and a good but aging receiving core. He also is a high energy guy with a forceful personality which is what another offensive coordinator candidate, Ken Zampese, isn't. Scott Linehan's strength is not motivational speaking. Pairing him with a passive personality running the offense may be a concern.

The negative on Saunders is he's got the reputation as a guy who politics, behind the scenes and, more subtly, with the media. He's a very willing interview and a good sound bite---a very polished guy. With his hire, Linehan will have two high profile big name coordinators. Is that a concern? Maybe immediate to long term but give Linehan credit for knowing he can't afford to think beyond 2008. He has to win and win now. I know this--Scott Linehan isn't dumb. He does see the big picture.

I know this about Saunders. Dick Vermeil loved him and Mike Martz hated him. I cannot stress the word "hate" enough. If I ever convince Martz to write a book, he'll do an entire chapter on Saunders alone. To be fair, Saunders may have enough to do a chapter on Martz. Let's hope that Saunders is even half as successful in 2008 as Martz was in 1999. Notice, I said "half"---the Rams don't have the talent for a 1999 type turnaround.

*** NO LINKS***
    Last edited by RamWraith; -01-30-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Re: Interesting Information about Saunders

Wow I always heard about him working for Martz but never about Martz hating him and Vermile loving him. That was kind of interesting. I also agree about needing a firey OC to pair with Linehan instead of a passive one that away the guys will not fall asleep in the meetings.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

KC had some maulers on that O-line too. The O-line was a big part of their success.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

we have more talent than the 1999 team... but the 1999 team played as a team and they had a leader at Quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-MONEY View Post
    we have more talent than the 1999 team... but the 1999 team played as a team and they had a leader at Quarterback.
    There is no way we have more talent then the 1999 team Pace and Bruce are past their prime. Faulk in his prime was better then Jackson is right now. Warner in 1999 was better then Bulger is now. Holt has had nagging injuries and is not near as healthy as he was back then. I like some of the talent we have now but we don't compare to the 1999 team. Our OL was solid all year in 1999 with proven veterans.

In 1999 you were 9 years old correct?

Do you really remember watching that entire season. I do and I remember watching them for years before that. I am not trying to make an age thing out of this. However unless you seen that season from preseason forward through the Superbowl then it would be hard to imagine just how good and talented that team was.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -01-29-2008 at 11:06 PM.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

I am not saying they werent talented, but..... ahhh.. never mind. and yes i do remember the 1999 season. I may have been 9, but that doesnt mean anything. I grew up in a football family. football was all i knew when i was little. nobody expected anything from the rams in 1999, but they Played as a team. Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Robert Holcombe, Az-zhair Hakim, Torrry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Orlando Pace, Mike Gruttadauria. ETC.... I think we have just as much talent on our team now.. you wouldnt know it because of injuries and not playing together well.. our corners may not be as good as Todd Lyght and Dexter Mccleon, Not to mention Dre bly. My favorite DB was Devin Bush.. Don't ask me why. Demarco Farr, Kris Carter, Leonard Little, Mike Jones with the most Clutch Takle in nfl History. talking about all of this gave me the sudden urge to want to watch some rams tapes... back in a little wile.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Okay, Tuesday night. I'd like to see this man be our Rams OC this week!

Will it soon be ... "Welcome back Coach Saunders"?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Interesting Information about Saunders-al-saunders-ahc.jpg  

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Al Saunders

by: Steve Savard
    KMOV Channel 4
    4:53 PM Sun, Jan 27, 2008

Hard to tell who's really pushing for Al Saunders' hire at Rams Park. I read that it's Scott Linehan which it may be but I also think John Shaw is the guy who wants Saunders now that he's available.

Here are the Saunders positives: He has a lot of play calling experience and had success in Kansas City with Trent Green and Mike Martz' offense. He basically took Martz' playbook to K-C. But, he ran the ball a lot more than Martz did because he didn't have the receivers and he had Priest Holmes in the backfield. This is a similiar situation with Steven Jackson the dominant talent on offense and a good but aging receiving core. He also is a high energy guy with a forceful personality which is what another offensive coordinator candidate, Ken Zampese, isn't. Scott Linehan's strength is not motivational speaking. Pairing him with a passive personality running the offense may be a concern.

The negative on Saunders is he's got the reputation as a guy who politics, behind the scenes and, more subtly, with the media. He's a very willing interview and a good sound bite---a very polished guy. With his hire, Linehan will have two high profile big name coordinators. Is that a concern? Maybe immediate to long term but give Linehan credit for knowing he can't afford to think beyond 2008. He has to win and win now. I know this--Scott Linehan isn't dumb. He does see the big picture.

I know this about Saunders. Dick Vermeil loved him and Mike Martz hated him. I cannot stress the word "hate" enough. If I ever convince Martz to write a book, he'll do an entire chapter on Saunders alone. To be fair, Saunders may have enough to do a chapter on Martz. Let's hope that Saunders is even half as successful in 2008 as Martz was in 1999. Notice, I said "half"---the Rams don't have the talent for a 1999 type turnaround.

Link to this post:
    Steve Savard's "Field Notes" - KMOV.com
    I'm not concerned with Saunders winning any popularity contests. I want points on the scoreboard, lots of them.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Phat
    Kris Carter
    Is he related to Kevin Carter?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

yea, making sure the Rams are "politically correct" has been the focal point of this organization. Not winning, not putting the best team on the field, not being successful in the wins and loss column. Political correctness.

What an oxymoron, with moron being the operative term.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-MONEY View Post
    I am not saying they werent talented, but..... ahhh.. never mind. and yes i do remember the 1999 season. I may have been 9, but that doesnt mean anything. I grew up in a football family. football was all i knew when i was little. nobody expected anything from the rams in 1999, but they Played as a team. Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Robert Holcombe, Az-zhair Hakim, Torrry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Orlando Pace, Mike Gruttadauria. ETC.... I think we have just as much talent on our team now.. you wouldnt know it because of injuries and not playing together well.. our corners may not be as good as Todd Lyght and Dexter Mccleon, Not to mention Dre bly. My favorite DB was Devin Bush.. Don't ask me why. Demarco Farr, Kris Carter, Leonard Little, Mike Jones with the most Clutch Takle in nfl History. talking about all of this gave me the sudden urge to want to watch some rams tapes... back in a little wile.
    Todd Lyght ruled!!!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Nobody gave the Rams a chance in 1999. I refuse to say we have more or less talent now because talent seems to become very obvious after a few wins and disappears after a few losses.

Potentially the Rams could have pro-bowlers in Carriker, Pace, Setterstrom, Incognito, Jackson, Hill and the first round pick. Reality is all of these guys could be on the injured reserve by week 4.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Setterstrom, Incognito, and Hill are not close enough yet to be Pro Bowlers and I doubt they ever will. Carriker yes, but the rest is really stretching it. Especially Hill. He's gonna be bust.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Nobody gave the Rams a chance in 1999. I refuse to say we have more or less talent now because talent seems to become very obvious after a few wins and disappears after a few losses.

Potentially the Rams could have pro-bowlers in Carriker, Pace, Setterstrom, Incognito, Jackson, Hill and the first round pick. Reality is all of these guys could be on the injured reserve by week 4.
    The term "injured reserve" should not be allowed in 2008. We more than paid our dues.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Setterstrom, Incognito, and Hill are not close enough yet to be Pro Bowlers and I doubt they ever will. Carriker yes, but the rest is really stretching it. Especially Hill. He's gonna be bust.
    I agree about Hill and in hindsight, Cromartie was the much better pick. I'm not ready to label him a bust just yet, but I don't see his name making it on too many probowl ballots in the future either. As for Incognito, he's probably not going to be known for anything more than a screwed up player who can't control himself after the whistle blows. I know we had a lot of injuries last season, but in the future, he needs to start getting benched for all the stupid personal foul penalties. You can't keep giving the opposing teams 15 yds without any repurcussions. People call it being scrappy, but I call it being absolutely idiotic. The same goes for Barron with all the false starts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-29-2008, 11:36 PM