Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: Interesting Information about Saunders

I was sort of joking about our players being pro-bowlers. When Trent Green went down in 99, not many people were looking at that guy Warner as anything special. My point was that we don't have a clue what a lot of our players are going to turn into as they have been injured far to often to get a good look.

How can anyone seriously say Hill is going to be a bust? What has he done to show you this forecast?

PHAT-MONEY Guest

darn. your right.. I ment kevin carter... i know who is.. i am always calling people named kevin Kris for some reason.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Setterstrom, Incognito, and Hill are not close enough yet to be Pro Bowlers and I doubt they ever will. Carriker yes, but the rest is really stretching it. Especially Hill. He's gonna be bust.
    Hill a bust?

The kid is getting better each and every year. If you see a guy play better every year how can you label him a bust?

Do I thingk he's a pro bowler? No. But he can continue to be a good starting CB in this league.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Geez, I don't understand it either. Hill has been in the league two years and he is getting labeled as a potential bust. Where is the logic here?

He played very solid when he was in the lineup this past year. His season was cut short with injury, so what? He's young and he will recover.

It's also a little soon to sound off on how Cromartie was the better pick. These guys have alot of playing left in their careers, and if for instance, Hill picks off 8 passes next year, and Cromartie snags 2, will you still think Cromartie was the better pick? That San Diego defense is designed to create turnovers - they have a NASTY pass rush and they had 30 INT's this year! You put Tye Hill in that scheme and I guarantee you he'd rack up his share of INT's. If we improve our pass rush, we could see similar results. Say what you will, but up until the end of the season, we fared decently against the pass with little or no push rush from our front four. The pass rush we did get came when we rushed linebackers, primarlily Witherspoon and Chillar. Witherspoon is excellent in coverage, and we shouldn't be relying on him to generate the rush. Should we use him to rush the passer occasionally? Absolutely! It is a great tool, but it shouldn't be our primary source ...

Regardless, the real point of this thread is Al Saunders. What do I think about Al Saunders? We absolutely need to get him in here ASAP. Will he revive the GSOT? Probably not. Can we be something close? Definiteily ..

The first argument against it will be that Steven Jackson is no Marshall Faulk. While at this point in his career, this may be true, but was Marshall Faulk really Marshall Faulk until he got into the GSOT scheme? He wasn't lining up in the slot in Indy until his final year there. Jackson has fabulous hands. He doesn't have the football IQ that Faulk did, and never will, but I do think he has adequate skills to be nearly the multi-dimensional weapon Faulk did, especially when paired with a football genius like Saunders ...

Want a startling statistic on Faulk? His first five years in the league he averaged 3.8 YPC. His career in STL, he averaged 4.8 YPC ....

Bulger knows the system, enough said ...

The wide receivers are aging, yes, but what is Hagans or Stanley is a gem? Isaac can still go and I am sure he'll be kept along if Saunders comes. Holt can still go. Bennett can be that Phroel like receiver. We just need some speed to spread the field.

Like at Ike? No one could say Jerry Rice was in any better shape physically than Ike is. In a Martz style offense where the receivers are consistently catching the ball in open space and able to generally decide wheter or not to make contact, you don't think Ike can make it 2 or 3 more years at a high level?

The line will be fine if healthy, we just need a little depth.

So ultimately, what keeps us for being a high potent offense in a Martz like system if Saunders comes?
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -01-30-2008 at 04:38 PM.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    what keeps us for being a high potent offense in a Martz like system if Saunders comes?

He roams up and down the sidelines looking lost, wears headphones, makes 2 million a year, and has the initials S.L.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

You guys have your opinions, I have mine. He's far from a first round DB currently. Gets burnt when covering top notch WR's and he was drafted as our #1 CB.

We'll see how well he does with a pass rush but currently, I categorically label him a first round bust.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    He roams up and down the sidelines looking lost, wears headphones, makes 2 million a year, and has the initials S.L.
    IMO, this is irrelevant to Saunders success here. Saunders will not come unless he has TOTAL control over this offense ....

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I agree R I, he won't come unless he has total control as he should. Linehan should give it to him on a case of Bud Light.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

it is amzaing that someone who once ran like a 4.19 or somthing like that can get burned. tye will be ok though.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

IMO, this is irrelevant to Saunders success here. Saunders will not come unless he has TOTAL control over this offense ....

We can only hope that you are right, but you asked the question and if there's something that can meddle with our offense and make it not work, it's Linny!!!

PHAT-MONEY Guest

if we get al and scott sucks this year... al will be coach in 09.. that may be good news, but i dont want to lose so we can find out.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Geez, I don't understand it either. Hill has been in the league two years and he is getting labeled as a potential bust. Where is the logic here?

He played very solid when he was in the lineup this past year. His season was cut short with injury, so what? He's young and he will recover.

It's also a little soon to sound off on how Cromartie was the better pick. These guys have alot of playing left in their careers, and if for instance, Hill picks off 8 passes next year, and Cromartie snags 2, will you still think Cromartie was the better pick? That San Diego defense is designed to create turnovers - they have a NASTY pass rush and they had 30 INT's this year! You put Tye Hill in that scheme and I guarantee you he'd rack up his share of INT's. If we improve our pass rush, we could see similar results. Say what you will, but up until the end of the season, we fared decently against the pass with little or no push rush from our front four. The pass rush we did get came when we rushed linebackers, primarlily Witherspoon and Chillar. Witherspoon is excellent in coverage, and we shouldn't be relying on him to generate the rush. Should we use him to rush the passer occasionally? Absolutely! It is a great tool, but it shouldn't be our primary source ...

Regardless, the real point of this thread is Al Saunders. What do I think about Al Saunders? We absolutely need to get him in here ASAP. Will he revive the GSOT? Probably not. Can we be something close? Definiteily ..

The first argument against it will be that Steven Jackson is no Marshall Faulk. While at this point in his career, this may be true, but was Marshall Faulk really Marshall Faulk until he got into the GSOT scheme? He wasn't lining up in the slot in Indy until his final year there. Jackson has fabulous hands. He doesn't have the football IQ that Faulk did, and never will, but I do think he has adequate skills to be nearly the multi-dimensional weapon Faulk did, especially when paired with a football genius like Saunders ...

Want a startling statistic on Faulk? His first five years in the league he averaged 3.8 YPC. His career in STL, he averaged 4.8 YPC ....

Bulger knows the system, enough said ...

The wide receivers are aging, yes, but what is Hagans or Stanley is a gem? Isaac can still go and I am sure he'll be kept along if Saunders comes. Holt can still go. Bennett can be that Phroel like receiver. We just need some speed to spread the field.

Like at Ike? No one could say Jerry Rice was in any better shape physically than Ike is. In a Martz style offense where the receivers are consistently catching the ball in open space and able to generally decide wheter or not to make contact, you don't think Ike can make it 2 or 3 more years at a high level?

The line will be fine if healthy, we just need a little depth.

So ultimately, what keeps us for being a high potent offense in a Martz like system if Saunders comes?
    Good post Ifi - gave you some rep. (Trust me, this is NOTHING ahgainst Faulk, but...)

You may be a tad premature on Jackson, however. Marshall was a bit of a problem in his first 3-5 years, and Jackson isn't.

How do we know he doesn't have a great football mind?
    Last edited by VegasRam; -01-30-2008 at 08:49 PM.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-29-2008, 11:36 PM