Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Interesting Saunders tidbits from the Washington Post

Redskins Notes: The St. Louis Rams hired Al Saunders as offensive coordinator yesterday, signing him to a three-year deal. His hiring makes it virtually certain that Saunders's son, Bob, a Redskins assistant, would join his father. Redskins quarterback coach Bill Lazor, whose responsibilities will be assumed by Zorn, could end up in St. Louis as well, while free agent backup quarterback Todd Collins, an expert in Saunders's system who shined after Campbell was hurt this season, would be prized by the Rams. The Redskins' switch to a new offense makes him less valuable here. . . .
    Washington's official site lists Bob as an offensive assistant, but cites past responsibilities with Kansas City as the offensive quality control coach, assistant WR coach, helping to design offensive passing and red zone strategies, and breaking down opponents on a weekly basis. While in Washington, Bob Saunders was responsible for designing and diagramming the offensive playbook and assisting with wide receivers.

As for Todd Collins, he is in fact a free agent. Rotoworld's take on the situation: "Collins, who knows Saunders' offense like the back of his hand, would threaten Gus Frerotte's roster spot. Considering Frerotte's poor season and the $1.9 million he's due in 2008, it wouldn't be a surprise if he's cut loose." I tend to agree with them. Frerotte is a statue in the pocket and his decision making was questionable this season. His familiarity with Linehan's offensive philosophy and system will not mean much at all if Saunders is installing his system. Meanwhile Collins performed very well down the stretch for Washington this season, though he had a hiccup in the playoffs. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams pursue Collins and, if he's signed, part ways with an expensive Frerotte.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Interesting Saunders tidbits from the Washington Post

A lot of the Skin fans seem to think TC will come here also. I would like to have him as our back up for sure if Marc goes down we still have some hope.

Ramer is offline Registered User

Living in Maryland and working just outside of DC I am surrounded by Redskins fans. You won’t believe how upset they are to lose Saunders.
    As for Collins, I would take him any days as our backup over Frerotte.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    As for Todd Collins, he is in fact a free agent. Rotoworld's take on the situation: "Collins, who knows Saunders' offense like the back of his hand, would threaten Gus Frerotte's roster spot. Considering Frerotte's poor season and the $1.9 million he's due in 2008, it wouldn't be a surprise if he's cut loose."
    Do we know how much of that 1.9 million is due to if we cut him? I know it depends on when he is cut exactly, but I'm just curious.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Do we know how much of that 1.9 million is due to if we cut him? I know it depends on when he is cut exactly, but I'm just curious.
    I'm not a cap expert, but what has transpired in the past is that the $1.9 million is termed a roster bonus and if the player is cut beforehand he gets none of it. However, that being said, any signing bonus money would accelerate forward and be counted against this years cap.

WHAT SAY YE?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Bringing on Todd Collins and releasing Frerotte would make us younger at the QB backup position.....by 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Based on the figures I have, Frerotte's 2008 salary is $1.4 million and he's scheduled to make $500K in the form of a roster bonus (not sure when that's due). When he originally signed, he received a signing bonus of $2.1 million. Prorated over the length of the contract, that would give the Rams an accelerated cap hit of about $700K if they cut him, but they're also removing double that by dumping his salary. So it's a net savings for the Rams.

If they cut him after they've paid the roster bonus - for instance, if the bonus is due at the start of free agency and they don't want to cut Frerotte until they know they have Collins - then the difference between the hit and savings from dumped salary is closer but the team would still be saving money I believe ($1.4 million salary - $1.2 million hit).

Again, this is based on the contract figures from Rotoworld. In the end, any savings the Rams may get from cutting Frerotte would likely be eaten up by the contract Collins would have to sign.

general counsel is offline Registered User

True nick, but a 700k cap hit is peanuts if you get a better guy which in this case at the minimum means a guy a lot more familiar with the new offense.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    True nick, but a 700k cap hit is peanuts if you get a better guy which in this case at the minimum means a guy a lot more familiar with the new offense.
    Agreed. I was simply pointing out that adding Collins would likely negate any savings made by cutting Frerotte, but if it means having a back-up familiar with the system that produced impressive results as recent as a month ago, it should be a no-brainer.

One question may be whether Collins wants to go to a team where he'll have an opportunity to play in more than a typical back-up role.

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Great posts Nick as always. I think that Frerotte is terrible at this point in his career and would love to see Collins take his spot. Btw, I am so excited to see Al Saunders join us. It should be the turnaround that we need.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i think Collins realises he is nothing more than a backup now, despite his decent enough performances for the Skins at the end of the season. Its far better for him to come to the Rams and stick with Saunders system, and shine as one of the best backups in the league, rather than for him to go elsewhere and attempt to push a poorer team for their starting QB position.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    One question may be whether Collins wants to go to a team where he'll have an opportunity to play in more than a typical back-up role.
    Given the uncertainty surrounding our offensive line, what makes you think he doesn't see that opportunity here?

LinkBacks (?)