Yodude is offline Registered User

Interesting stats that raise a question...

Granted the Eagles didn't show up to play, but there were some interesting stats from last nights game that raise a question in my mind.

Running plays - 44

Passing plays - 28

Time of possession: Rams - 41:44 ; Eagles - 18:16

Penalties - 7 for 55 yards (well below what we've had in our really bad performances)

Let me say again that I know the Eagles didn't show up, but to me this still raises a question. And that question is, knowing how much trouble the O-line has had with pass protection this year, and knowing what a liability our defense has been this year, what kind of difference do you guys think this kind of game plan would have had on our record this year. I know there are some games where we got destroyed and nothing would have made a difference, but I think there were some games where it could have meant victory instead of defeat.

At the least I think we wouldn't be praying for devine intervention to make the playoffs.

Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

lakerams Guest

Re: Interesting stats that raise a question...

I think running the ball would have made a difference in alot of games, including some of the blow outs. if the Rams would have established the runearly in some of those games like they did to begin last nights, it would have altered the other teams gameplan and therefore have altered the game results.

let's hope Martz comes out the same way against the Jets.

atcchris is offline Registered User

let's hope Martz comes out the same way against the Jets.
    It's complicated.. I have a hard time being absolute about it... I do know this, there has got to be a MIX for sure. Jets opponents have not been running the ball down their throats... the game plan may not call for a steady diet of Jackson/Faulk... but they have got to respect that option, or it will be all over.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

I was SOOOO excited to see all those running plays. Where was that all season?!
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Well, I took it one step further and, aside from looking at what we could have done, or should have done, I am excited about the future IF this can be incorporated going forward, especially next year, but even this week vs. the Jets and beyond, if there is such a thing.

It may not have been clear (to me) before, but it is chrystal clear now - Steven Jackson is the franchise. Build around him.

I'm even starting to think that with Hargrove, Little (in jail?), kennedy, and pickett, we've got a defensive front 4 that is pretty explosive, along with the others that rotate in.

Some band aids in the O'line, and replace polley and thomas at LB, and I think we've got something. (Obviously more could be done, but I think based on the cap, if the O'line and a MLB were priorities, it may be enough to go from worst to middle of the road on D).

atcchris is offline Registered User

Agreed.. with Jackson being solid, we do have something upon which we can build.

I just don't like having to deal with the wildcard Martz Madness every week.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I just don't like having to deal with the wildcard Martz Madness every week.

you know you love it!!! Like those passes at the end of the game that were almost picked off and fumbled!!!

With Mad Mikey, there's never a dull moment.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by atcchris
    It's complicated.. I have a hard time being absolute about it... I do know this, there has got to be a MIX for sure. Jets opponents have not been running the ball down their throats... the game plan may not call for a steady diet of Jackson/Faulk... but they have got to respect that option, or it will be all over.
    I couldn't agree more. There has to be a mix, or at least threat of both offensive options. The Jets have performed well against the run this season - fifth in the league in average yards allowed per carry, and seventh in the league in average yards allowed per game. The Jets have allowed only 7 rushing touchdowns, tied for fourth best in the league. Needless to say, I'm not optimistic about seeing the same kind of results next weekend if we try to use last night's gameplan.

I believe our offensive line needs to hold their own and open some holes, and our running backs need to be able to hit them and make something happen if we expect to have a threat of running the ball or use a gameplan similar to what we saw last night. If we're getting dominated on the offensive line by the Jets and letting defenders into the backfield to tackle our rushers for a loss, 44 runs isn't going to amount to much.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!