Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

Interesting thought...

when do you guys think we'll have to start worrying about having a good wide receiver? for many years now, we've never really had to worry too much on WR. But when Ike and Holt are gone and retired, hypathetically if they don't get injuries during their playtime here with the Rams...When do you guys think we'll have to start worrying about some WRs? I think Hagans will be really good, I think he'll be a great player in the NFL for our special teams and eventually (hopefully) for our offense for WR (He could also be the next Randle El as well...)

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

Re: Interesting thought...

although i see us having a 3 year window for success with our current crop of WR`s,although holt hasnt been too banged up during his carear the fact that he doesn`t seem interested in records and has stated in the past that he will retire when he doesn`t fell 100% into the game,i do feel one day we gonna wake up to the news that he`s retired at 32 or something like that!

with Bruce it could be the same,although i do think he`ll see out his 3 year contract then hang up his uniform,if injury dont get him done before!

Curtis and McDonald will be free agents next off-season(im hoping they will try to re-work Curtis`s contract before then!)

so after stating all that id say next year our first 3 draft picks will include a WR.
    i was hoping we`d get Derek Hagan in the 3rd this year but it didnt happen,so next year defo!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6
    I think Hagans will be really good, I think he'll be a great player in the NFL for our special teams and eventually (hopefully) for our offense for WR (He could also be the next Randle El as well...)
    I dunno. The two best examples of current QB/WR hybrids having success at the NFL level that I can think of is Randle El and Matt Jones, both of whom were drafted in the first two rounds of their respective drafts. So I think it's one thing for a guy with great athleticism like that to be selected early and think that he will succeed. It's another thing for a guy who many saw as a reach in the fifth round to develop into a great player in that kind of role.

And even if he does, what exactly is that role? Randle El is widely viewed as a slot receiver with an edge in the gadget department. He's not the guy I'd count on as an actual starter, so when someone says so-and-so could be the next Randle El, it pretty much means to me that he could be the next #3 guy, and that's really not all that hard to come by.

As for when we're going to actually have to worry about acquiring receivers, it could be as early as next spring if Curtis and McDonald go somewhere else and Hagans doesn't show us much of anything. We'd be back to the days of Dane Looker as our #3, and while he did a decent job in that role, it's an obvious upgrade area. I don't suspect that Holt will retire for at least another 5-6 years at least, so that's probably the time we'd need to have another potential #1 guy waiting in the wings.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ok, this goes back to AvengerRams The Kids are Alright for now thread. Quit saying everyone we draft is going to be great. You don't know that. It seems the younger posters on this board have an idea that everyone the Rams have drafted is going to be some kind of stud when they probably haven't even seen half of them play. Heck, I watch more college football than most people and no way in heck would I know if Hagans is going to be a stud on special teams yet. You just have to let it play out.

This type of posting is what is distressing some long time posters of ClanRam. It's becoming cluttered with useless topics and I'm warning everyone now that if this sort of posting continues we as moderators of the board will begin physically deleting what we consider rubbish and will not explain why we did it. Don't PM us about it. Don't cry about it. Don't make a peep about it. This is how we run ClanRam and if you don't like it, find another board.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think 3 years sounds about right for the current crew, maybe 4. In year 4, Looker will be gone, Bruce will probably be gone, Torry will be 33 and Curtis 31...and by then we'll probably have at least two or three new faces. Torry may have more years in him, but I wouldn't count on him being the no. 1 receiver much past that. With any luck, we'll have drafted well and have a smooth transition, but it's basically impossible to predict whether it will be a cause for worry because we have no idea what the roster might look like by then. I mean look at how many starting receivers have changed teams in the last couple years. When you look at the league leaders in receptions in 2004, half the top ten are on new teams.

I agree with what Nick said about "the next Randle El" Antwaan Randle El is a very good 3rd receiver and an unspectacular no. 2. I think that's a realistic and you might even say optimistic goal for Hagans. I would be shocked (in a good way) if Hagans ever becomes more than that.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -05-18-2006 at 04:03 PM.

ramsfan1975 is offline Registered User

what the heck is wrong with his post? he had a good question. so what if he has high hopes for a certain player. im sure we are all guilty of that every now and again. so say its a rubbish post is quite rude and ignorant. has this now turned into a elitist board where only the few can post "aproved" topics? who the heck do you think you are? just because your a moderator doesnt make you god... jeese id expect that from a raider or pats fan not a rams fan... i thought we were better then that... be ashamed... be ashamed!!!!

This is not a democracy nor is my stance debateable.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    This is not a democracy nor is my stance debateable.
    I know what you're saying when you regard to my post, but you gotta realize it is a hypathetical situation, and when there is barely any news anyway in the offseason, why not have fun with it, and just ask questions? It's a board, and what I wanted out of this post was to see some opinions, and obviously some people did have an opinion. If this board was JUST for news only, I really doubt we'd have half the posts we have now. We're all fans of the same team, I don't know why we all have to be so critical of each other.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

lets just give it up, under these new rules its just a dictatorship.. forget free thinking just get with the program and be a nice autonomys robot..

tanus is offline Registered User

Guys, go back and read TX's post. The issue is not about when we will need to worry about WR's again, it is about saying Hagans is going to be next so and so. It is basically hot air coming out of one's butt and that is starting to annoy some posters.

Varg6, I will give you credit. I think this is an interesting topic, but could do without the unrealistic expectations/comparisons of a 5th round pick with no true NFL position, other than special teams player at this point.

That being said, I would be ecstatic if Holt and Curtis were #1 and #2 for the next 5+ years. If Curtis bolts after this year then we have a huge hole to fill at #2. Obviously Bruce is not the long term answer at #2 only because of age. So I guess it really all depends on Curtis at this point.

tanus,

I understand what you are trying to convey and i can see where that can be annoying but to title the entire post as a "rubbish" because one person wants to make a personal opinion on something is where i have the problem. maybe it would work better if the statement that was bugging the posters was addressed not the entire post. i would not have gotten half as angry as i did if the simple statment of " please dont post comments like he might be the next randel-el" as this angers some of the older posters... that would be understandable.. when you say the whole post is rubbish thats taking it too far.

Thats fine Varg....it just goes back to what Avenger posted in his earlier thread. This board is known as the Rams board of quality on top of quantity. All I'm really saying is this, having high expectations on the Rams players is one thing. However, when we talk about Rams players and rookies and every post is how great they are, that tends to show "homerism" and that can kill a board.

I'm not saying don't post, I am saying think about what you post prior to hitting the Post button.

Thanks for being here Varg and 1975, I appreciate you guys.

tanus is offline Registered User

I went back and read it again and I can see why you would think that he labeled the entire post as rubbish. In the first paragraph he was strictly talking about the part about Hagans and then in the second paragraph I think he was making a general statement that posts that are similar to that will be deleted.

Note: I'm not trying to speak for TX, just saying what my interpretation was on the post.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tanus
    In the first paragraph he was strictly talking about the part about Hagans and then in the second paragraph I think he was making a general statement that posts that are similar to that will be deleted.
    That's how I understood it as well. I don't see any part of Tx's response where he actually calls the entire thread rubbish either, so I don't understand 1975's beef at all.

Anyways, the point Tx was making is that we're trying to curtail problems that have been expressed to us by other members. That's called moderating. If anyone wants a forum without that, I hear the Post Dispatch has a lovely community.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

i dont think we need to worry about WRs in the next 6 years.... Holt will probably still be with us in his 13th season and curtis, if he gets resigned next offseason will be a great WR2. Bruce will probaby be gone in the next 2 or 3 years or he can stay in the NFL to 40 years old like Jerry Rice. that'd be great if he stayed till 40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast