Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Interesting tidbit about Spagnuolo

Ryan has no background with Schottenheimer, but he may consider it more palatable to hire a "stranger" in this case because he and Schottenheimer coach on opposite sides of the ball and, in theory, wouldn't butt heads. Spagnuolo wants the power to hire his own coaches and he would like to have authority over the 53-man roster, according to sources - likely one of the reasons he has slipped behind Ryan.
    From a NY Daily News article about the Jets' coaching search and why Ryan may have passed Spagnuolo on their list. As a first time head coach who has really only been in this league for ten years, asking for full control over the roster may be a bit much for some organizations.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Interesting tidbit about Spagnuolo

I don't want him to have full control with Deveaney in the office. Shaw sure, but not BD.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    From a NY Daily News article about the Jets' coaching search and why Ryan may have passed Spagnuolo on their list. As a first time head coach who has really only been in this league for ten years, asking for full control over the roster may be a bit much for some organizations.
    Spags is out......

Leaves us with:
    Frazier
    Haslett
    Ryan
    Garrett

in that order?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Devaney and Spagnuolo are apparently friends, so if they can work together on such issues, perhaps this is not such a big problem for us.

That said, I'm starting to think that HUbison called it right by predicting that Frazier would be the choice. That is just fine by me.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Full control of the roster? Nah. I'd pass.

Lets go Frazier!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

If Spags and Deveney can use their friendship to agree on some things, were he doesn't have COMPLETE control, I want Spags.

We need a hardass that isn't afraid to yell at his players...I won't mind Leslie Frazier, because he looks like a really good coach, however seems too passive to lead a team in disarray like we are.

Just how i feel...

HornIt is offline Registered User

I think people are misunderstanding here.

Spags wants control over the 53 man roster and to select his own coaching staff.

This is in perfect congruence with what Devaney has already said the Head Coach will get under him anyway. Devaney said he's old school in this respect. He believes the HC should have control of the 53 man roster so that all players understand they are accountable to the HC, not him or anybody else. The HC makes the decisions on who stays and who goes, who starts and who sits, etc.

The HC also has control over his staff. They answer to the HC and he hires and fires them.

That is different than having full control over the draft and free agency. Devaney would have control over that and that is not what Spags is reportedly asking for.

Devaney has final say on draft picks and free agents, those players outside the 53 man roster. But once they are on the 53 man roster, they belong to the HC.

It makes sense to me. That's the way it should be too IMO.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You're making a lot of assumptions here.

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    I think people are misunderstanding here.

Spags wants control over the 53 man roster and to select his own coaching staff.
    According to a sportswriter in NY, who may or may not be accurate.

This is in perfect congruence with what Devaney has already said the Head Coach will get under him anyway. Devaney said he's old school in this respect. He believes the HC should have control of the 53 man roster so that all players understand they are accountable to the HC, not him or anybody else. The HC makes the decisions on who stays and who goes, who starts and who sits, etc.

The HC also has control over his staff. They answer to the HC and he hires and fires them.

That is different than having full control over the draft and free agency. Devaney would have control over that and that is not what Spags is reportedly asking for.
    First of all, you assume that the "control" Spagnuolo reportedly wants does not include draft and FA. We don't know that.

Second, you assume that Devaney defines the term "control" the way you are. Again, we don't know that.

The article in the NY Daily News specifically says he wants control over the 53 man roster.

Devaney has specifically said the HC would have control over the 53 man roster. That he would work with the HC to put together the 80 man roster they'll go to camp with, but that the HC from there will make the decisions on the 53 man roster.

Of course, any conclusions are based on that information being relayed accurately.

eauclare is offline Registered User

As long as Spags doesn't have final say on aquiring players thru the draft or FA, I have no problem with him having total control over the 53 man roster.

He can have input, but Devaney has final say on obtaining personell. Then the HC should have final say on the 53 man roster since he and his staff have to evaluate them everyday.

TKnight39 is offline Registered User

Just sign Ryan and get it over with already!

does anyone know when the interview with Spags began?

Im guessing we will have our new coach by tomorrow.

It looks like WFAN is reporting that the Rams are down to two now and the two are Frazier and Garrett. There was another report earlier that said this too, but don't remember where it came from.

If true, it makes the Spags control thing a moot point I guess anyway. We'll never know. I kind of hope it's not true though because I think I've been leaning Spags.

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    It looks like WFAN is reporting that the Rams are down to two now and the two are Frazier and Garrett. There was another report earlier that said this too, but don't remember where it came from.

If true, it makes the Spags control thing a moot point I guess anyway. We'll never know. I kind of hope it's not true though because I think I've been leaning Spags.
    Please don't make me vomit...if Garret makes the final two over Spags it just shows how hopeless our franchise is.

BRING IN SPAGS!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Didn't Deaveny say he'd assemble the 80 man roster, and leave it upto the coach to pick the last 53?

If so, then well, it's right about Deaveny's ally!

PLUS Billy D and Spags are buddies, so I'd like to think the friendship between them would result in much of the same philosophy, as well as each other would work better together.
    RamsFan16