Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: An interesting tidbit from a Peter King article (Bulger related)

You know one thing I like about this board is how a battle can erupt over a Peter King artical. :confused:

Remember, football is a TEAM sport. I put blame on EVERYONE for the Carolina loss. :ramlogo:

That aside, One thing that I've noticed has been lacking in the offense, and Avenger pointed it out, was the lack of the quick slant that worked so well from 99'-01'. Hitting the receiver in stride 10-20 yards down field was what really made Holt and Bruce dangerous. Hopefully we will see that play again.

JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

:ramlogo: Obviously the deep ball or threat of it has its place; that being said I don't think the success of our passing game hinges to a large degree on Marc's ability to throw the deep ball. When Warner was at his peak his success was predicated on his ability to find the OPEN receiver play after play. I can remember TV commentators marveling at his ability to spread the ball around. My point is (not a Bulger/Warner comparison PLEASE!) that in MM''s offense someone is usually open if only briefly on every down. If Marc can improve his overall field vision from last year, I think our offense can really be explosive this year particularly if Curtis and or McDonald emerge and contribute. Also it would be nice to get a flag once in a while when opponents tackle Marshall coming out of the backfield preventing him from being a dump-off option. Wishful thinking probably...

GO RAMMS!!!!!!!!!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Cool Re: An interesting tidbit from a Peter King article (Bulger related)

Well Nick I am sorry to see that you edited everything in your post, since my subsequent post was a response to everything you edited. We must have overlapped each other there. I was responding while you were editing.

No worries, it's not like I have never looked like I went off on some tangent before. Just ask adarian, he loves my tangents. Believe it or not, he has never once threatened to take any of my tangents out behind the tool shed and beat them like a rug.

I usually say what I feel and it's not like I said anything I have not said many times. I don't edit my posts over regret for sharing my feelings with the Clan, rather I only edit over poorly structured sentences or bad typos, but hey, that's just me. I do however find it odd that you took the time to quote my post and respond to it? Oh well, I guess we both know what it was all about.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Well Nick I am sorry to see that you edited everything in your post
    Retrospectively, I thought the first version sounded a bit too... emotional. So I edited out some of the parts. But I still appreciate your response.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Smile Re: An interesting tidbit from a Peter King article (Bulger related)

Heaven forbid we wouldn't want anyone thinking you were the emotional type. Someone might misunderstand and attack your post for expressing something in an emotional or dramatic fashion....if you know what I mean?

Yeah, I wouldn't want that to happen. :redface:

sbramfan is offline Registered User

"But as Peter King pointed out in his article, there are very few quarterbacks who are consistently accurate above 35 yards"

Yeah, these are more commonly known as "the good one's".

....makes you wonder why you'd get rid of one of these "rare" breeds?

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    "But as Peter King pointed out in his article, there are very few quarterbacks who are consistently accurate above 35 yards"

Yeah, these are more commonly known as "the good one's".

....makes you wonder why you'd get rid of one of these "rare" breeds?
    Really? How consistent was Manning at the 40+ yard pass last season? How about Culpepper? Brady? Favre? McNair? Green? Hasselbeck? McNabb?

These are some of the best and more successful quarterbacks in the league from last season, and none of them are completing even half of the passes they throw that are 40+ yards. To say they're consistent at that distance would also be incorrect, in my opinion.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Bulger's passes of 31+ yards accounted for only 5.6% of his total attempts. What's the big deal?

While I would like Bulger to improve his long ball accuracy, it's not something to dwell on. The threat is still there, and defenses will still have to respect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    Bulger's passes of 31+ yards accounted for only 5.6% of his total attempts.
    His passes between 31-40 yards in length were actually pretty good too. It seems that the primary area of concern for his deep balls are above 40 yards, which account for even less of his total passes. So I'd have to agree with you. It'd be nice to see improvement, but I'd much rather see him improve on his reads and checkdowns than a route he's lucky to attempt once a game.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Really? How consistent was Manning at the 40+ yard pass last season? How about Culpepper? Brady? Favre? McNair? Green? Hasselbeck? McNabb?

These are some of the best and more successful quarterbacks in the league from last season, and none of them are completing even half of the passes they throw that are 40+ yards. To say they're consistent at that distance would also be incorrect, in my opinion.
    Alright Nick, just to show you that we Warnerites are not a bad breed...
    ...of the 36 QBs who completed at least 100 passes last season, Bulger was 17 in YPC; of the 22 who completed at least 200, Bulger was 12; and of the 10 who completed at least 300, Bulger was 5. So there you have it. While YPC does not take into account the receivers YAC, this is still a pretty good reading of how vertical the QBs game is. And as we see, Bulger is middle of the road. Not near the vertical villain that some are making him out to be. But, can he improve? Certainly. What makes his stat more impressive than middle of the road is that he was 3rd in total yards and completions. Bottom line in Bulgers passing game: quantity is great, quality is better than some will admit.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    While YPC does not take into account the receivers YAC, this is still a pretty good reading of how vertical the QBs game is.
    While I'm not seeing how your post counters my point about consistency over distance, what's also interesting is that according to Stats.com (this is second hand info though), Bulger is ranked 4th of all QBs in terms of number of passes over 25 yards.

What does that tell you about our vertical game?

Bob L. Head is offline Registered User
    California, USA, Earth, Milky Way, The Universe

It's looking up.:redface:

Get it? Vertical...looking UP? Boy if this don't win me the funniest award, I just give up!
    Have some fondue, it's delicious.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

While I'm not seeing how your post counters my point about consistency over distance, what's also interesting is that according to Stats.com (this is second hand info though), Bulger is ranked 4th of all QBs in terms of number of passes over 25 yards.

I'm wasn't trying to counter your point, in fact, I was furthering your point about consistency over distance. My point was that he is average in YPC (which is a whole lot better than some will give him credit for), what made him a cut above last year was that he did so not on a handful of completions. Oh no, he was third in the league! I intended this post to be in favor of the work Bulger did last year as far as consitency, not against it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Gotcha, good point!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123