Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Intrigue mounts as Rams approach draft day

By Jeff Gordon
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    Tuesday, Apr. 22 2008

So what will the Rams do Saturday afternoon?

That depends on what other teams have in mind. The Rams hold the much-coveted
    second overall pick in the NFL Draft. The intrigue is mounting.

They will have enviable options as their selection time nears. “For the first
    time since 2003, a trade involving a top-seven pick could happen,” ESPN expert
    John Clayton predicted.

Coach Scott Linehan would love to land cornerstone offensive tackle Jake Long.
    But if he goes to the Dolphins with the first overall pick -– and the Palm
    Beach Post reports Long is close to agreeing to terms with Miami -- the Rams
    would choose between defensive end Chris Long and defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey.

Unless . . .

* The Falcons, sitting with the third overall pick, elect to move up one to
    secure either Dorsey or quarterback Matt Ryan. The most recent buzz has general
    manager Tom Dimitroff coveting Ryan -– who, coincidentally, is also the
    preferred choice of owner Arthur Blank.

Previously, there was speculation that the football side REALLY wanted Dorsey.
    And some experts still believe the team would take Ryan only if Dorsey is off
    the board.

Would Atlanta offer the Rams a later ’08 pick to move up a spot and get the
    player it wants? Perhaps, since other teams would like to move up to No. 2.

* The Ravens, at No. 8, also like Ryan. With quarterback Steve McNair retiring,
    Baltimore’s need at that position is even more glaring.

This team realizes that Atlanta could take Ryan to turn the page on Michael
    Vick. The Ravens should also be aware that the Jets could grab Ryan at No. 6
    should Atlanta let him slide.

Also, ESPN notes that the Falcons could draft Dorsey at No. 3 (if the Rams pass
    on him) and send three second-round picks (34, 37 and 38) to New England for
    the No. 7 pick if Ryan is still on the board.

So Baltimore, too, has motivation to move up. This jump would cost the Ravens
    their second-round pick and more -– although a high ’09 pick may not entice
    Linehan, who is in the final year of his contract.

At No. 8, the Rams might still have a shot at defensive end Vernon Gholston or
    defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis. Odds are, Jake Long, Darren McFadden, Ryan and
    either Ryan Clady or Branden Albert (to the Chiefs, who need an offensive
    lineman, at No. 5) will also go in the top eight.

* The Saints, at No. 10, also covet the No. 2 pick -– which they would use to
    take Dorsey. But do they have enough to lure the Rams out of the top eight? At
    No. 10, the Rams would likely miss out on all the top defensive linemen:
    Dorsey, Long, Gholston and Ellis.

New Orleans is also working the trade front hard, looking at deals for
    cornerback Lito Sheppard and tight end Jeremy Shockey. The Saints will be one
    of the teams to watch closely this week.

* If Jake Long unexpectedly fell to No. 2, the Chiefs would want to move up.
    Interestingly, Kansas City is willing to lose pass rushing defensive end Jared
    Allen. He has the team’s franchise tag and the Chiefs aren’t working on a
    long-term deal for him.

Any team signing Allen would have to pay two first-round picks, but Kansas City
    appears willing to trade him for less. Minnesota seems eager to spend the 17th
    overall pick for Allen and Tampa Bay would jump in if that falls through.

This creates another wild-card situation for the first day of the draft. Rams
    fans want their team to get involved in this mix, but that seems like a long
    shot.

* The bottom line: If I’m Linehan, Billy Devaney, Jay Zygmunt and Co., I take
    Chris Long and stick him at right defensive end. Why fool around? Draft a great
    prospect, fill a glaring need and move on.

Or, if all the football people insist that Dorsey is the more dominant player,
    then I take him, move Adam Carriker into a flex role and trust James Hall to
    provide some passing down pressure at right defensive end.

Either way, the defensive line improves measurably.

To move away from these two options, I would need an opportunity to draft a top
    defensive lineman AND help the team at two additional positions right away.

Could such a deal exist? We’ll see. Operations are standing by as you read
    this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Intrigue mounts as Rams approach draft day

The only way I would trade the number 2 pick is if I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse. I say keep the pick and draft a DE, whether it be C. Long or Gholston.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    The only way I would trade the number 2 pick is if I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse. I say keep the pick and draft a DE, whether it be C. Long or Gholston.
    Exactly laram0. We do need a DE, and we obviously can't trust Little or Hall seeming they put up next to no sacks.

We improved our DT's with last years draft, this year should be DE.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

I'm not knocking Dorsey, but I'm hestitant about taking a chance on another DT and just think that DE is more of a need at this point. Can we count on James Hall- who's to say? He didn't impress anyone last year and isn't getting any younger. Perhaps it was due to injury, but he didn't do much in Detroit the year before that either. I say take Chris Long- he's a better all around DE than Gholston is at this point.

eldfan is offline Registered User

"So Baltimore, too, has motivation to move up. This jump would cost the Ravens
    their second-round pick and more -– although a high ’09 pick may not entice
    Linehan, who is in the final year of his contract."

Please don't get cute rams make a pick at 2 spot.
    :ramlogo:

txramsfan is offline Registered User

You know, trading down a few slots is very intriguing to me. Go ahead and take a Philip Merling, get multiple picks in Round 2 and really build this team up. I'm not as sold on Chris Long as the rest of you. I think he'll be a good player, but is he being touted as the 2nd player picked due to need or skill? Not sure. Dorsey is, but the Rams are going into this draft more about need than what's out there and most of the time when teams draft like that, they get burned.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I know the Rams will talk up Glenn Dorsey to entice other teams to offer a trade into the #2 spot. No one is looking to trade-up for Chris Long. That says something to me. If other teams feel so strongly about Dorsey maybe he's the better choice over C. Long, who I've been hoping for with many of my fellow Clanner's.

My hope given this situation is that Atlanta feels compelled to offer one of their 2nd round picks along with the #3 pick for the chance to get Dorsey. That way we still get C. Long and add some high quality talent with 2 second round picks. If we don't get Dorsey at least we fill more holes for better chance at a better record this year. You know Linehan will subscribe to that philosophy as his neck is on the line this year.

I am worried about Dorsey's injury potential despite Devaney's remarks, which are likely a smokescreen.

Go Rams!:r

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I know the Rams will talk up Glenn Dorsey to entice other teams to offer a trade into the #2 spot. No one is looking to trade-up for Chris Long. That says something to me. If other teams feel so strongly about Dorsey maybe he's the better choice over C. Long, who I've been hoping for with many of my fellow Clanner's.
    Man, I think you just nailed what I've been thinking for awhile now. Why are no other teams out there talking up Chris Long? Is there anybody that is willing to trade up for him? Could it be that he just isn't as good a prospect as Glen Dorsey? And let's not accuse the Rams of "blowin' smoke" on Dorsey when it appears that the rest of the league is far more excited about him than C. Long.

WHAT SAY YE?

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I'm loving this rumor about trading with the Jets.

JETS
    6th overall pick
    Dewayne Robertson
    2nd round pic

Rams
    2nd overall pick
    4th round pick

I AM THROWING THIS TRADE IDEA OUT... I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THE JETS ARE OFFERING US
    Last edited by bruce4life; -04-23-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: NEEDED TO PUT SOMETHIG ELSE IN THERE

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Man, I think you just nailed what I've been thinking for awhile now. Why are no other teams out there talking up Chris Long? Is there anybody that is willing to trade up for him? Could it be that he just isn't as good a prospect as Glen Dorsey? And let's not accuse the Rams of "blowin' smoke" on Dorsey when it appears that the rest of the league is far more excited about him than C. Long.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I think the Rams are blowing smoke with Dorsey but at the same time they are actually considering taking him. I think they may really feel he's the better prospect than Chris Long and I think he is. Chris Long is easy to fall in love with due to his great attitude and work ethic. He'd be an asset to any team. But I think, as some others do, that he's a slightly better version of Grant Wistrom and may have already come close to maxing out his potential. To me that means he'll be solid in the NFL but not really a game changer, and if you have the opportunity to get a real game changer with the 2nd overall pick, I think that's what you should do. Dorsey and Gholston may both have more potential in that respect, with Gholston definitely being more of a question mark. So I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the Rams selcted Dorsey. They actually may prefer trading down a few spots and still be able to select Long or Gholston, but if they stay at #2 they may very well take Dorsey. They could address Little's replacement next year or possibly in the 2nd round this year.
    So, while they may be blowing smoke with Dorsey to get someone to trade up, they may also think he's their best choice if they stay at #2.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    I think the Rams are blowing smoke with Dorsey but at the same time they are actually considering taking him. I think they may really feel he's the better prospect than Chris Long and I think he is. Chris Long is easy to fall in love with due to his great attitude and work ethic. He'd be an asset to any team. But I think, as some others do, that he's a slightly better version of Grant Wistrom and may have already come close to maxing out his potential. To me that means he'll be solid in the NFL but not really a game changer, and if you have the opportunity to get a real game changer with the 2nd overall pick, I think that's what you should do. Dorsey and Gholston may both have more potential in that respect, with Gholston definitely being more of a question mark. So I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the Rams selcted Dorsey. They actually may prefer trading down a few spots and still be able to select Long or Gholston, but if they stay at #2 they may very well take Dorsey. They could address Little's replacement next year or possibly in the 2nd round this year.
    So, while they may be blowing smoke with Dorsey to get someone to trade up, they may also think he's their best choice if they stay at #2.
    Well said, Harry. I think you have made a cogent and compelling case as to why the Rams will, infact, draft Glen Dorsey this weekend.

WHAT SAY YE?

BEER is offline Registered User

Wink Re: Intrigue mounts as Rams approach draft day

This one is easy. We trade down. We have to many needs, and for good
    players not Kennedys and Alston's. I say we go down as far as 7 and maybe 4 to the raiders.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    I'm loving this rumor about trading with the Jets.

JETS
    6th overall pick
    Dewayne Robertson
    2nd round pic

Rams
    2nd overall pick
    4th round pick

I AM THROWING THIS TRADE IDEA OUT... I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THE JETS ARE OFFERING US
    Not likely.

Robertson has been a bum, and has huge salary. Trading down to six basically means that there's a strong chance we miss on Chris Long, and on Dorsey and on Gholston.

No thankyou.

BEER is offline Registered User

Wink Re: Intrigue mounts as Rams approach draft day

Lets put it this way people, We have the #1 pick right now. That means
    we can start contract talks RIGHT N0W. If we dont, it means we
    are trading down!.....

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I don't think the Rams can afford to trade much past pick 4 or 5. The draft would seem to tail off remarkably in terms of talent after the Longs, Dorsey, McFadden and Gholston and this makes it unlikely that the Rams have much leeway for a trade. As someone else made clear even falling to #6 isn't really an option despite picking up another 2nd round pick.

We have to be at #2,3 or 4 to be guaranteed of getting some sort of blue-chip prospect and teams outside of Atlanta aren't really interested. So the intrigue, as far as I'm concerned, is largely manufactured. If the Rams can convince the Falcons that they might well take Dorsey they can pick up another 2nd rounder and get Long. That's the best scenario they can hope for.

Either Dorsey or Long would be good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast