Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

An intriguing OC option

The other day I heard some people talking about a potential OC that has had pretty decent results. He's actually been in the league for a while now. Started with a team that hadn't placed an offense in the top 10 for the previous 8 years, but had top 10 offenses in 6 of the 7 years he was associated with them. After he left, the team managed one more top 10 finish, but then fell back to the depths of the league. He moved on to another team that had offensive rankings of 28th, 32nd, 24th, & 27th previously; and bumped them up to 22nd and 19th. After he left, they returned to the bottom of the league. His third team had offensive rankings of 26th, 32nd, 26th, & 32nd. He moved them to 23rd, but was released as part of a coaching change. Time will tell what happens to that team.

And I did some checking in the NFL archives........turns out OC's never call timeouts or challenges.

But his name rhymes with Mike Martz, so you're probably not interested.

Seriously guys, I'm not manning the reins of the Martz bandwagon or anything, but how can anyone argue against his performance?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: An intriguing OC option

OK...OK... Where do I sign?

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    OK...OK... Where do I sign?
    I hesitated to start another Martz thread, but I just find it curious that so many who wanted Martz fired the first go around marched behind the banner of "Great OC, Bad HC".

Yet now this same group seems to have changed their banner to "We were just kidding, he's a bad OC also".

Just finding it curious, that's all.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Falconator Guest

Hubison,

do you really want Mike Martz back as offensive coordinator?

GrnGyant is offline Registered User

My issue with Martz is that when he did well with the rams, the pieces were in place, there was a great offensive line, great tools, that let his offense bloom. Once he got control of the offense (let alone the whole team) and started building it in the image of what he wanted, it fell apart and didn't work any longer. Martz is a great offensive mind, and he knows what to do with his little soldiers on the field, but he just doesn't seem to know what support is necessary, so that the stars on the field can succeed.

Air or ground attack as long as there's some balance, I don't care if we favor one more than the other. but neither attack is going to work if we don't build an offensive line that will help the other players succeed.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GrnGyant View Post
    My issue with Martz is that when he did well with the rams, the pieces were in place, there was a great offensive line, great tools, that let his offense bloom. Once he got control of the offense (let alone the whole team) and started building it in the image of what he wanted, it fell apart and didn't work any longer. Martz is a great offensive mind, and he knows what to do with his little soldiers on the field, but he just doesn't seem to know what support is necessary, so that the stars on the field can succeed.

Air or ground attack as long as there's some balance, I don't care if we favor one more than the other. but neither attack is going to work if we don't build an offensive line that will help the other players succeed.
    The bottom line in my mind is that when Martz is asked to run the offense and the offense only he has been very successful. Whether it be in St. Louis, Detroit or San Fran he has improved the offensive production immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    Hubison,

do you really want Mike Martz back as offensive coordinator?
    Oh I don't know. I'm rather ambivalent about it. On one hand, his record is impressive. He has succeeded with every offense that has crossed his plate; and that's with all-world talent and all-nothing talent.

On the other, that would indicate Haslett is reinstated, and I'm equally ambivalent there. I guess there's a huge part of me that would just like change. We are the bottom of the barrel, so the exact opposite (ie. change everything) has to be the way out, right? I don't know, maybe.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

I go with "Nay".

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Bringing back Martz would probably mean an attempt by the Rams to bring back Isaac Bruce

if Bruce is freed by the Niners and Martz is our OC, and with Linehan gone, there is only one place he is going to sign
    Torry Holt might stick around to play in the Martz offense too

Falconator Guest

I just don't see it.......If you keep Haslett, bring back Mike Martz as OC, bring back Isaac Bruce and keep Tory Holt - that is just bizaare to me. When you are "at the bottom" you "go young". As good as Holt and Bruce were for many years - its simply time for them to go hang out on contending teams until they retire as role players.

Martz has had a track record of success but it has been discussed "ad nauseum" about how Steven Jackson is not "getting the rock" enough - and we all know he won't get it enough with Martz regardless of what is said.

Haslett has not inspired the Rams defense in his 2-3 year tenure and simply does not know how to lead a team to the next level. He was a mediocre head coach with the Saints and there was never a progression of improvement there.. this is supposed to be the leader of your franchise!

The above plan sounds like a recipe' for disaster in my opinion....

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And I did some checking in the NFL archives........turns out OC's never call timeouts or challenges.
    Yes but when an OC's offense does not allow audibles, wasting timeouts are a inevitable by-product are they not?

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Bringing back Martz would probably mean an attempt by the Rams to bring back Isaac Bruce
    Getting Ike back where he belongs would almost make it worth taking a chance on Martz, but I'm not sure the whiners would want to part with their best reciever by far, especially since he's locked up for another year I believe.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

I just don't see it.......If you keep Haslett, bring back Mike Martz as OC, bring back Isaac Bruce and keep Tory Holt - that is just bizaare to me. When you are "at the bottom" you "go young". As good as Holt and Bruce were for many years - its simply time for them to go hang out on contending teams until they retire as role players.

Martz has had a track record of success but it has been discussed "ad nauseum" about how Steven Jackson is not "getting the rock" enough - and we all know he won't get it enough with Martz regardless of what is said.

Haslett has not inspired the Rams defense in his 2-3 year tenure and simply does not know how to lead a team to the next level. He was a mediocre head coach with the Saints and there was never a progression of improvement there.. this is supposed to be the leader of your franchise!

Steven Jackson saying he does not "Get the rock enough" is hilarious, he can hardly stay on the field with all his injuries the past two years.....

Falconator Guest

that is a fair point Ground Chuck.....I don't know if Steven Jackson said it - I said it though - of course your right that if Jax cannot stay healthy - that is another matter altogether.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I would say one of the major reasons why you don't understand why us Rams fans would want Martz back is because you didn't experience the thrills we all had when he was the o coordinator. Sure you saw what was going on, but you didn't get all giddy inside like we did. I respected(unfortunately) what went on in NE last year, but I certainly wasnt thrilled over it. What I'm trying to say is, even as unlikely it is that he will be able to bring back the GSOT, we all wish that would happen. Mike was a part of a team that provided me and most everyone else on here the best football memories we will ever have, and we would all be willing to have at least a chance of that reigniting again.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

I don't get it, who's name rhymes with Mike Martz?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast