Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    supachump is offline Registered User

Re: An intriguing OC option

I'm so on the fence about this. Half of me wants to totally start new and try to wipe the past few years from my memory. The other half is curious what Haslett could do with an entire year and what Martz could potentially do back as OC.

One of the bigger questions in my mind, does Bulger and the rest of the team really want to play Martz' playbook again? Will Haslett be able to control Martz and make sure he protects our QBack? I don't know.

I'm curious what would happen with Haz and Martz. But I'm afraid that it may be a disaster in the making.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Shoot, is Air coryell available??

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Bringing back Martz would probably mean an attempt by the Rams to bring back Isaac Bruce

if Bruce is freed by the Niners and Martz is our OC, and with Linehan gone, there is only one place he is going to sign
    Torry Holt might stick around to play in the Martz offense too
    Sorry, I can't agree with this at all. You cannot go back to 1999. Many on this board like to tout Martz's stats. To me, there's just this bottomline, after Martz took over the Ram's, we played well for 2 seasons. Then the wheels started coming off the bus. He wound up in a hospital bed being refused access to the team, and the team began a downward spiral that we're still in. Martz went to Detroit, and to my knowledge, that team didn't go very far. They started out nicely, then the timeout and turnover issues that we suffered through started rearing their ugly heads. He got fired. Then he went to SF. Not much in the way of success to report there. He got fired. Rams, Lions, 9ers all had issues with Martz's personality as well. That's the last thing we need in this organization, more turmoil.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

He wound up in a hospital bed being refused access to the team
    Denied access by a man (Zygmunt) who is universally viewed as a liability to this franchise.
    Martz went to Detroit, and to my knowledge, that team didn't go very far.
    Actually, yes, he improved the Detroit offense, which managed to slide back to near the bottom of the league without him.
    then the timeout and turnover issues that we suffered through started rearing their ugly heads.
    So Marinelli lets his OC call timeouts?

Again, I'm not necessarily advocating for Martz. I'm just trying to understand why some cast him away without a thought.
    Last edited by HUbison; -01-13-2009 at 12:29 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

Getting Ike back where he belongs would almost make it worth taking a chance on Martz, but I'm not sure the whiners would want to part with their best reciever by far, especially since he's locked up for another year I believe.
    What if we offered Holt in a trade, straight up? I'd rather have Ike's knowledge of route running to mentor the younger guys with anyway.

HornIt is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    After he left, the team managed one more top 10 finish, but then fell back to the depths of the league.
    After he left them, they actually managed a higher finish than any year since 01. Then they fell back to the depths of the league, and guess what? When they did, they were right down there with Martz's offenses with his other teams.

Problem is, once he started losing the GSOT personnel, his genius magically started to fade. And though his overall offensive rankings faded with it, a couple things never did. He did manage to always stay at the top of the league in giveaways and sacks allowed. Those have always been the two constants regardless of the players.

Not only that, but it was widely reported that by the time he left, he was a stubborn and paranoid mess who was giving his staff loyalty tests and poisoning even further the atmosphere, and there were reports out of Detroit of similar issues where he didn't play nice in the sandbox. Obviously, he wasn't still welcomed in SF for whatever reasons.

Sorry, not what this teams needs right now. This team needs a new start with a fresh atmosphere, a singular purpose and everybody in the building rowing in the same direction. It's time to break with the past fellas. The GSOT is gone. It's not coming back, but the poisonous atmosphere could come back if you start bringing back the same people again.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

First of all, for those of you who are mistaken, the OC being discussed here is Spike Hartz. He's been in the Canadian Football league for years, and was very successful building the "Greatest show in the Tundra, ay".

Look, bottom line is that we have one of the worst offenses I've seen in many years for ANY team. I don't recall which game it was, but late in the season, they announced that we had scored our first TD in 3 games. And the only reason we scored a TD was because we recovered a fumble inside the opponents 20.

That's what it took to get our first TD in 3 games. Pathetic.

This team is no fun to watch. I doubt we'll see Haslett or Martz on this team next year, but I just want a coach /OC who will make this team fun to watch again.

HornIt is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    First of all, for those of you who are mistaken, the OC being discussed here is Spike Hartz. He's been in the Canadian Football league for years, and was very successful building the "Greatest show in the Tundra, ay".
    LOL!

Yes, Spike Hartz, brother of famed Canadian singer Corey Hartz.

You can tell them apart because one wears his wireless rimmed glass during the day, the other wears his sunglasses at night.

Oh yeah, and Corey is a real hoser..eh.

The offense will get better when the O-line gets better, the QB gets better, the RB stays on the field and the WR's get some seasoning. But unless you want the offense to play like it only has 3 downs to get a first down, on a field that's longer and wider and has 25 yard deep endzones, Hartz probably isn't the right guy.

wanderer is offline Registered User

My concern is turn-overs. Martz's offience is a high risk-high reward type of offense and has always been prone to turn-overs. Most of the head coaching candidates are defense oriented. Our new GM seems to favor a back to basics hard nosed approach to football. Can Martz work in that kind of environment? I think we need a to improve our defense, offensive line and go for a more ball control offiense behind Jackson. If we can do that then the passing attack will be there for Bulger. If we go back to Martz I just don't see Bulger surviving a full season.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Good one Renrawtruk!

HUb, for the record, I have no problem welcoming the Man of Madness back to the Rams (I believe that's how it rhymes). I really think he and Coach Haz could produce an improved offense -- say, from a D to a B- given the indispensable need to improve the OL is satisfied.

If Sir Isaac returns, the merrier, of course. But I think that MM could work some crazy magic with the players we now have and score some more points!

Last edited by RealRam; -01-14-2009 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Speleen

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Again, I'm not necessarily advocating for Martz. I'm just trying to understand why some cast him away without a thought.
    I have thought about it, and I still don't want him back. Apparently, there isn't much demand for him around the rest of the NFL either; he's been out of a job for a few weeks and the only rumors have been those concerning the Rams. I think you give him too much credit.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

I'm so on the fence about this. Half of me wants to totally start new and try to wipe the past few years from my memory. The other half is curious what Haslett could do with an entire year and what Martz could potentially do back as OC.
    Pretty much sums it up. I doubt we want to go "backwards", but it would be interesting.

I think Devaney's comment about how he likes haslett, but needs to make the best decision for the team, or something like that, pretty much spelled out that they will go in a new direction.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I have thought about it, and I still don't want him back. Apparently, there isn't much demand for him around the rest of the NFL either; he's been out of a job for a few weeks and the only rumors have been those concerning the Rams. I think you give him too much credit.
    Just stating fact, that's all.

But as I said elsewhere, with Martz making quotes in the media about how Haslett is the only coach he'd consider working with, it's not surprising his name isn't getting mentioned. Doesn't sound like he's trying to awful hard.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    ...but I'm not sure the whiners would want to part with their best reciever by far...
    Dear Lord,

How stooooopid does this still sound?!

Anyhoo, my money's going on Has or Spag's...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

This team needs a lobotomy anyway.....I'm a huge Martz fan but for Martz to be successful he needs a RB who can catch passes out of the backfield and pick up the blitz....Jackson struggles there.

Give Saunders another year. Can't hurt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast