Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 2 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 2 Post By HUbison

Thread: Isaac Bruce met with Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin last week

Rambos is offline Registered User

Isaac Bruce met with Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin last week

His take on the two young guys. Other good stuff in this interview as well.

Isaac Bruce looks at what Austin and Bailey can do for the Rams 06-03-2013 - 101Sports.com
    Last edited by Rambos; -06-03-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    Fargo Ram Fan likes this.

thoey is offline Registered User

Re: Isaac Bruce met with Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin last week

Long interview, only talks the rooks for less than a quarter of it. But was still great to hear. Thanks Rambos...

Isaac Bruce met with Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin last week-isaacbrucehelmet041.jpg
    This space for rent...

Help these kids Bruce. Spags did not allow the Ram players of the past to come into Rams park, never understood that.

Isaac Bruce met with Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin last week-8776414eca0011e2938522000aaa21ef_7.jpg
    Last edited by Rambos; -06-05-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    RealRam and THOLTFAN81 like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Really good stuff. The REV is solid.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

"Stop on a dime, and leave two nickels" That was classic. Gotta love Ike. It's great to see him involved with our rookies.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    Gotta love Ike. It's great to see him involved with our rookies.

Absolutely! What an inspiration. Nice to see these two rookies stand in respect and awe before a tru pro -- one of the Rams classiest and very best! Sir Isaac.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Help these kids Bruce. Spags did not allow the Ram players of the past to come into Rams park, never understood that.
    I tried to be positive about Spags but when I heard that he did not want the past involved, I knew he (we) were doomed. Great to see Ike helping out.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

What struck me about the interview was how Ike described the mentoring he got from Hester and Flipper & even then he wasn't comfortable until 8 games into his rookie season. Glad those two have each other & whatever scraps they can glean from Torry & Ike ad hoc but I wouldn't mind a solid vet FA pick-up of the player/coach variety before pre, if not TC.

Not that it's at all relevant to the thread but when did Spags discourage alumni from coming around ? Didn't Deacon & Dick V spend time with the team under Spags, for egs ? Seem to remember some intern coach as well.Wasn't Cromwell a Spags coach ? I think that bad blood died with Frontiere and the phasing out of Shawgmunt. Not crediting Spags with promoting the reconnection with Rams history - Demoff gets that,imo- but you can't blame him for a bitter rift that was decades old,either.

I did hear Spags used to make the team eat overcooked mutton after every loss. Damn his blasphemous bones.....

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I tried to be positive about Spags but when I heard that he did not want the past involved, I knew he (we) were doomed. Great to see Ike helping out.
    Wasn't it Linehan that removed all the connections to the past? I believe he was the individual who ordered all the GSOT pictures taken off the walls.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Wasn't it Linehan that removed all the connections to the past? I believe he was the individual who ordered all the GSOT pictures taken off the walls.

I could be mistaken, but I think it was Spags. It was his stance that the "individual" not be emphasized, but the 'team"- hence all the individual pictures were taken down and replaced with team shots.

And regarding Azul's question- it was reported that Spags barred people like Jim Hanifan and D'Marco Farr access to the weight room facility where they had previously been allowed in. And justly or unjustly, the belief existed by some that Spags was insecure and did not wish to bring in links to past glory or any coach that he perceieved as a threat.

Obviously all water under the bridge, but I've always believed in having a healthy respect for the past without living in it. Bringing in an ex player or two on occasion as another voice can help out and inspire current guys while giving a respectful nod to that player. Ike speaking to these guys can only have a positive impact.
    Rambos likes this.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I think it was Spags. It was his stance that the "individual" not be emphasized, but the 'team"- hence all the individual pictures were taken down and replaced with team shots.

And regarding Azul's question- it was reported that Spags barred people like Jim Hanifan and D'Marco Farr access to the weight room facility where they had previously been allowed in. And justly or unjustly, the belief existed by some that Spags was insecure and did not wish to bring in links to past glory or any coach that he perceieved as a threat.
    Maybe it was both....
    Quote Originally Posted by from the New York Times article "PRO FOOTBALL; CHANGING THE CARPETING, CHANGING THE CULTURE", dated September 3, 2006
    After the Rams' Scott Linehan looked at the locker room at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis, he ordered the pictures of star players updated. Goodbye, Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk. Hello, La'Roi Glover and Steven Jackson.

''Nothing in our past can help what we're trying to get now,'' Linehan said. ''Every football program has a distinct culture. We're establishing our own identity. You want your pictures, your furniture, your house.''
    I'm just glad both Linny and Spags have moved on.
    Rambos and Nick like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    What struck me about the interview was how Ike described the mentoring he got from Hester and Flipper & even then he wasn't comfortable until 8 games into his rookie season. Glad those two have each other & whatever scraps they can glean from Torry & Ike ad hoc but I wouldn't mind a solid vet FA pick-up of the player/coach variety before pre, if not TC.

Not that it's at all relevant to the thread but when did Spags discourage alumni from coming around ? Didn't Deacon & Dick V spend time with the team under Spags, for egs ? Seem to remember some intern coach as well.Wasn't Cromwell a Spags coach ? I think that bad blood died with Frontiere and the phasing out of Shawgmunt. Not crediting Spags with promoting the reconnection with Rams history - Demoff gets that,imo- but you can't blame him for a bitter rift that was decades old,either.

I did hear Spags used to make the team eat overcooked mutton after every loss. Damn his blasphemous bones.....
    From what I recall he seemed a bit insecure about letting ex-players come back. It might have been more of a Dspags thing.

02.06.2010 10:47 am
    Ex-Rams eager to help Spags
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. _ Isaac Bruce is interested in working with Rams wide receivers. Jack Youngblood would love to spend some time coaching up Chris Long. And Todd Lyght is hoping for a training camp coaching internship with the team this summer.

Great. Bring ‘em all.They could have my job,” coach Steve Spagnuolo joked. “That’s a big-time compliment that guys like that would think that way. I’ll certainly be more than happy to talk to guys like that. And if it fits in and works in, we would try to do it.”

It seemingly would be very easy to set up Lyght with one of the camp internships. And what could it hurt bringing in Youngblood for a few days during camp to work with Long or any of the defensive ends?

As for Bruce, despite his interest in possibly coaching Rams wide receivers, after 16 years of hard work as a player _ and Bruce’s work ethic was exemplary _ logging the 16-hour days necessary as an assistant coach may not really be what he wants to do, particularly since he recently became a father. But you just know that once Spagnuolo sits down with Bruce, he’s going to like him. And perhaps something could be worked out.

The baseball Cardinals seem to know how to embrace their past. The new regime at Rams Park seems to struggle embracing the Rams’ past. And it’s not for lack of respect.

“I love the past,” general manager Billy Devaney said. “And Spags feels the same way. You’ve got to respect the game. And obviously you respect even more so the great Ram players that were part of it. And we do. The stuff that they accomplished was incredible. You have great respect for it.”

But sometimes, Devaney says, too many voices can hurt the development of a young player rather than help.

“Sometimes you get too much information,” Devaney said. “You get overload. And we’ve had a number of coaches pass through here. Donnie Avery is going into his third year. He’s on his third position coach. There’s a lot of cases like that where the intention is great and we embrace everything that the player stood for, and we recognize that. But sometimes it also can be too much, it can have a negative effect on somebody.

“How many people has Marc Bulger had in his ear the past three years? Coordinators, quarterback coaches, head coaches. A lot of these guys just need to settle down in the same system and I think they’ll be better off for it.”
    As far as the L.A ex-players not being part of the St. Louis Rams, this is another issue IMO. I think the current regime has reached out to them.

Youngblood back in 2011

"We are their legacy but they forgot us," Youngblood said. "They don't have anything to do with us, really. I find that unfortunate because you look at other franchises, even those that have moved, and they use their alumni in their marketing and in their organization. They use their Hall of Famers as an example for the players who are there today. They use their alumni, but the Rams have cut us out of the picture."
    When Decon past I was reading Jim Thomas chat and Jim said something that just seemed wrong IMO.

Fan asked
    Do you think that this papers coverage of Deccan Jones passing is underwhelming? He was arguably the greatest Ram of all time...... yet Nfl network has given more time than anyone in St. Louis. Just wondering?
    JT

Joe Lyons of our staff is working on a story on Deacon Jones for Wednesday's paper. Deacon was arguably the best pass rusher in the history of the NFL. But he didn't play in St. Louis _ he was strictly an LA Ram _ and that's a difference. For example, I don't know if you'd expect the Atlanta Constitution to write an extensive story of an old St. Louis Hawks basketball player who passed away

If the local media is going to draw a line between the two, there will always be a disconnect IMO. How are the younger Ram fans (kids) going to really know the history of the Rams if the local media acts like this is an expansion franchise? It just seems to be the wrong thing to do.

The post also this week has created a list of the 50 best and worst St.Louis Rams draft picks. Again why categorize the players based on where the team is playing.

Who knows maybe it's just JM being the idiot that he can be.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

Obviously all water under the bridge, but I've always believed in having a healthy respect for the past without living in it. Bringing in an ex player or two on occasion as another voice can help out and inspire current guys while giving a respectful nod to that player. Ike speaking to these guys can only have a positive impact.
    Wasn't it more that Hanifan and Farr were trading on their insider contacts with The Rams to promote their broadcasting careers, not doling out advice to young players. A more experienced, less insecure, coach would probably have handled them differently but I doubt Fish would allow any ex-player pseudo-journalists unlimited access to his players, either, no matter what colors they wore in their playing days, especially when the organization was so thoroughly discombobulated. Too many cooks....

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Wasn't it more that Hanifan and Farr were trading on their insider contacts with The Rams to promote their broadcasting careers, not doling out advice to young players. A more experienced, less insecure, coach would probably have handled them differently but I doubt Fish would allow any ex-player pseudo-journalists unlimited access to his players, either, no matter what colors they wore in their playing days, especially when the organization was so thoroughly discombobulated. Too many cooks....
    That's a fair question, Azul- and your point is one I had not heard before. I guess from that standpoint I can understand Spags' stance, as he was trying to establish himself and his team. I think the "too many cooks in the kitchen" analogy is something you do have to worry about, but I also enjoy the concept of bringing back guys once in awhile who gave so much to the franchise like Youngblood, Slater, etc.