Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Isaac Bruce is one of the greatest Rams ever

How can you not be a fan of Isaac Bruce?

Few players in the Rams' history have been as productive for as long a period as Bruce. But it goes beyond that.

In his early years, he was the lone bright spot on a dismal team. His second year was one of the greatest any receiver ever had, though he toiled in near anonymity.

Then came the hamstring injuries. Many players experiencing such a sharp decline in their production due to a recurring injury would have thrown in the towel. But Bruce (despite the chiding of Dick Vermiel - calling Bruce his "so called superstar") pressed on and got healthy. Then in 1999, when the team suddenly became a contender, he was right there in the mix - punishing hated San Fran with 4 TDs and, of course, catching the game winner in the Super Bowl.

Since then, he has continued to play at a high level. And he continues to show up in big games (he was great in the playoff loss to Carolina) and to this day (See last Sunday's box score).

Throughout it all, he has never held out for more money, never drawn attention to himself with TO/Joe Horn/Randy Moss type antics, never complained when Torry Holt became the "Number 1" receiver. He just keeps playing and setting an example for the team.

When the Rams visit Miami this October, I will be there... proudly wearing my #80 jersey and chanting "Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!!!!!!!!!!!"

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Isaac Bruce is one of the greatest Rams ever

Bruce by far is my favorite all time Ram for just the points you mentioned. The guy is, and always had been, a class act. I only wish we had 10 more years together. Thanks Isaac for all the memories!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    How can you not be a fan of Isaac Bruce?

Few players in the Rams' history have been as productive for as long a period as Bruce. But it goes beyond that.

In his early years, he was the lone bright spot on a dismal team. His second year was one of the greatest any receiver ever had, though he toiled in near anonymity.

Then came the hamstring injuries. Many players experiencing such a sharp decline in their production due to a recurring injury would have thrown in the towel. But Bruce (despite the chiding of Dick Vermiel - calling Bruce his "so called superstar") pressed on and got healthy. Then in 1999, when the team suddenly became a contender, he was right there in the mix - punishing hated San Fran with 4 TDs and, of course, catching the game winner in the Super Bowl.

Since then, he has continued to play at a high level. And he continues to show up in big games (he was great in the playoff loss to Carolina) and to this day (See last Sunday's box score).

Throughout it all, he has never held out for more money, never drawn attention to himself with TO/Joe Horn/Randy Moss type antics, never complained when Torry Holt became the "Number 1" receiver. He just keeps playing and setting an example for the team.

When the Rams visit Miami this October, I will be there... proudly wearing my #80 jersey and chanting "Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Here, here.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Memphis State University Grad.....what more would you expect? LOL

Was fortunate to watch this guy in college and now in the pros on my favorite team. Bruce will go down for me personally as my all-time favorite Ram. Remember him torching Ole P iss one year.

And... he's from Fort Lauderdale.

JAWS2K is offline Registered User

I think that Ike is still our best receiver! And that is not a slam on Torry. I think that when the game is on the line, I want the ball in either Ike's hands or Marshall's.

This will be a big year for Isaac!

general counsel Guest

I concur with those who applaud both the onfield performance and the exemplary off field behavior of reverend Ike. He truly represents the rams in every sense of the word.

I believe that bruce will be productive for many more years and it is one of my greatest hopes that he will finish his career in a rams uniform. He is our jerry rice, and the idea of seeing him become a cap casualty and spending five years catching 80 balls a year somewhere else would truly make me sick.

Bruce is a modern day crazylegs hirsch in terms of his profile with the organization. I agree that with the game on the line, i want the ball going to bruce. He always seems to step up and play his best when the stakes are the highest. I always remember the monday night game in the 2001 season against new orleanes on the road when he scored the three td's.

For two years martz has been saying we need to find more ways to get the ball in bruce's hands. Hopefully, bulger looking over at Ike in week one is a harbinger of things to come for the remainder of the year.

ramming speed to all

sign the big man

general counsel

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Nice post AV.
    I agree, he is IMO one of the best receivers in the game today, and he's the only original LA Ram left. That in it's self is amazing in this day of free agency. He has been a great mentor to Holt, and I'm sure the young WR's too. He's a class act who deserves more kudos than that jack ass TO. :ramlogo:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Interesting that you bring up TO.

Here is a comparison of Bruce and TO's per game averages for their career:

Receptions/Yards/Yards per catch/TDs

Bruce: 4.91/74.7/15.2/.49
    Owens: 4.95/71.4/14.2/.69

Fairly even (particularly when you consider that Owens has rarely had to share the ball with a top notch #2 receiver, while Bruce has played with Az Hakim, Torry Holt and Ricky Proehl, not to mention Faulk).

Yet the press acts like Owens is a superstar while Bruce is merely a good player.

I'd take Bruce over Owens every day and thrice on Sunday.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Fairly even (particularly when you consider that Owens has rarely had to share the ball with a top notch #2 receiver, while Bruce has played with Az Hakim, Torry Holt and Ricky Proehl, not to mention Faulk).
    I'd also point out that until 1999, Ike did not have the benefit of quality at the QB position. At least not consistent quality.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Good point.

Also... how many TDs does TO have in the playoffs?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I got to thinking about that '95 season Bruce had and I found something strange (at least to me). He didn't make the Pro Bowl that year. I must have forgotten that. He had 119 receptions, 1781 yards, & 13 TDs...and he didn't make the Pro Bowl. So I did a little research and found out just how incredible that '95 season was.

From '90-'94, only 7 players had more than 100 catches.
    From '96-'99, only 6 players had more than 100 catches.
    From '00-'03, only 14 players had more than 100 catches.
    In 1995 alone, 9 different players had more than 100 catches.

Last season's leader in catches, Torry Holt (117) would have ranked 5th in catches in 1995, and while leading last season in yardage (1696), he would have ranked 3rd in '95 and only 10 yards from 4th. While Randy Moss lead last year in TD (17), he would have had to share that lead in '95 with 2 others. And while Holt was 2nd last year (12), that would have been good enough for a tie for 8th in '95.

That was quite a year for receivers. And Bruce's numbers (119, 4th) (1781, 2nd) (13, 7th) were great even in the greatest of seasons.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Also ... how many times did Bruce set a team record for receptions on the same day that a future HOFr was supposed to be honored?

(Although I confess TO couldn't have caught that many if he didn't have the complicity of the QB)

rampower is offline Registered User

bruce, like ellard before him, an all time great ram

Love the guy.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Here here! Isaac Bruce is the MAN on and off the field.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast