Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Isiah Pead. Isiah Pead?!

macrammer is offline Registered User

Re: Isiah Pead. Isiah Pead?!

Each week is but a chapter in the 2012 Rams book. Never know who is going to show up. Stay tuned. Chapter 5 is out this Thursday...

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    It's completely understandable, especially given the Rams recent draft history, that fans aren't thrilled at Pead not having contributed thus far. He's a 2nd round pick- and while we can be thrilled that Richardson has been a find in the 7th round, teams aren't built on late round surprises alone. Your top picks HAVE TO be PLAYERS for a team to become the team we fans hope for. To say "Richardson has outplayed him" is as much an indictment of Pead as it is praise of Richardson.

This week, however should be about the bigger picture- which is that the Rams are 2-2 and relevant. Big game vs. undefeated Arizona in three days. Gotta' be ready.
    I agree to a point, we have discussed this before one of the reasons for trading back in the draft and getting more picks is you can take a bit of a risk. As long as you hit on more then you miss. Les said it was kind of like a mutual fund. Within the fund there are some risk. Jenkins was a risk that is paying dividends big time right now. Pead may come around but if he doesn't we are more then covered we hit on more players by trading back.

If we don''t trade back and take Blackmon.

players we don't have.

Brockers
    Jenkins
    Quick
    Rok

Not sure what we would have done at 33, don't think is would have been Pead. All four those players will have stared a game this year... Quick will get there. Next year all four will be starters day one IMO.

I'm not worried about Pead he will get playing time this year, it's a long season.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-02-2012 at 02:21 PM.
    MauiRam likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

As I see it, when this pick was made, a number of people- as is customary during the draft in our haste to embrace picks- automatically assumed it was a good pick and felt Pead must be the heir apparent to Jackson. It has taken us several months to figure out not only is that not true, the guy isn't even yet worthy of decent playing time, having been outperformed by an afterthought, Richardson. Hopefully that will materialize, but right now fans are justified in questioning the pick and questioning Pead's readiness to be a part of our team's return to respectability. They envision the Donnie Averys and the Mardi Gilyards and the Adam Carrikers- high draft picks of the recent past, and the concern is legitimate.

I repeat- it's great to hit on the occasional sleeper, but your top picks have to come through for you. Pead wasn't selected with the thought of him being a "risk" because we had extra picks. The guy was thought of highly enough to be one of the top 75-80 players entering the NFL, so anything less than decent time as a rookie with an occasional moment or two is a disappointment, in my book. Hopefully, he starts seeing more time.

Not even gonna' get into the Blackmon thing, which was discussed endlessly. Bottom line there is that three years after we drafted a franchise QB we still have no one even resembling a top flight wideout on this foootball team- which is why people are concerned when guys like Quick and Givens haven''t been able to supplant the Brandon Gibsons and the Austin Pettisses of the world. I certainly hope that dreaded word "patience" holds meaning here with these guys.

MoStateRam is offline Registered User

Isiah Pead. Isiah Pead?!

Quote Originally Posted by Haste View Post
    I heard on Espn radio the other day about 2nd round picks since 05-06, and there were only a very small handful of Wr's who were stars/quality starters.

Hopefully Pead and Quick are one of the select few.
    There have been quite a few busts yeah. I remember the 07 draft in particular with several second round flops. But then there have been guys like Sydney Rice and Dexter McCluster who have been dynamite. I guess the draft, for all the work these guys can put into it, is really a crap shoot.

Rambos is online now Registered User

NJ Ramsfan1;439626]As I see it, when this pick was made, a number of people- as is customary during the draft in our haste to embrace picks- automatically assumed it was a good pick and felt Pead must be the heir apparent to Jackson.
    Not sure many here where saying Pead would be the successor to SJax... I think most here thought he would be a great change of pace and a playmaker that this team needs. Way to early to say he will not be a good draft pick. IMO Not sure how anyone can come to that conclusion after only 4 games.

It has taken us several months to figure out not only is that not true, the guy isn't even yet worthy of decent playing time, having been outperformed by an afterthought, Richardson.
    Not sure why you are so hung up on the fact that Richardson is more NFL ready, it happens.

Hopefully that will materialize, but right now fans are justified in questioning the pick and questioning Pead's readiness to be a part of our team's return to respectability

I'm all for questioning it if Richardson was not performing but he is... if Pead never gets a chance and they trade him for a future 6th rounder then I'm with you... but after four games I'm not questioning it.
    They envision the Donnie Averys and the Mardi Gilyards and the Adam Carrikers- high draft picks of the recent past, and the concern is legitimate.
    Again Billy has left the building.... this is NOT the same FO period.

I repeat- it's great to hit on the occasional sleeper, but your top picks have to come through for you. Pead wasn't selected with the thought of him being a "risk" because we had extra picks

If we stayed at the number two pick I would agree. If we had a 1st and a 2nd I would say yes these guys need to play day one. But by creating more picks, we can take players that are not as NFL ready BUT have higher top end.

No Jenkins was the high risk player taken, but we had that option due to trading back.

Pead was the 50th pick... he was created out of thin air from the Dallas trade. The second move back in the draft. We moved back again to get Pead and Rok from that pick... two picks that due to having a very smart new regime created. The Pead pick may look to some like a luxury pick, it kind of has that feel to me. But it's early, maybe Richardson flashes and burns out quickly and Pead steps in and plays great. It's just to early to tell IMO.

The guy was thought of highly enough to be one of the top 75-80 players entering the NFL, so anything less than decent time as a rookie with an occasional moment or two is a disappointment, in my book. Hopefully, he starts seeing more time.
    I guess knowing we have so many rookies playing I can be a bit more patience with Pead.

Not even gonna' get into the Blackmon thing, which was discussed endlessly. Bottom line there is that three years after we drafted a franchise QB we still have no one even resembling a top flight wideout on this foootball team- which is why people are concerned when guys like Quick and Givens haven''t been able to supplant the Brandon Gibsons and the Austin Pettisses of the world. I certainly hope that dreaded word "patience" holds meaning here with these guys.
    Blackmon will always be part of the conversation as some questioned why we did not move up and get him or why we moved so far back not to get him. In this post you still are asking where is the elite receiver. Bottom line there is that three years after we drafted a franchise QB we still have no one even resembling a top flight wideout on this foootball team. I guess that's why Billy got fired or one reason. He had two drafts and did not get Sam that player, in fact he did not get a legit Backup RB the whole time he was here.

I know you don't like the Blackmon conversation but talk about Patience IF we took him and he had through four games 10 catches for 79 yards. Man this board would be going nuts! I guess it will take him sometime before he becomes that elite receiver and the same can be said for Quick,Givens and Pead.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-02-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Gomotron is offline Registered User

If you can get good production out of half of a draft class, that's a pretty solid draft for most teams.

4 games is way to early to assess a class as a whole, and for receivers particularly, most "experts" say that it isn't until the 3rd year in the league that you see everything start to click. It's unusual to see a WR enter the league and be dominant or even productive from the get-go.

citr92 is offline Registered User

it's amazing how certain injuries that aren't too big of a deal usually can really mess up careers, not that it's happened to steve smith yet, but his 6th year in the league is so far as productive as his rookie, his stats went 63, 574, to a franchise record 1,220 for the giants and a super bowl win, then 529 and injured halfway through, 124, and this year with 70

point being, steve smith hit his stride in his third year as gomotron noted...that said, hope steve smith can recover, really hope he does

also, he IS currently averaging his career high per catch at 14 yards a catch

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    As I see it, when this pick was made, a number of people- as is customary during the draft in our haste to embrace picks- automatically assumed it was a good pick and felt Pead must be the heir apparent to Jackson. It has taken us several months to figure out not only is that not true, the guy isn't even yet worthy of decent playing time, having been outperformed by an afterthought, Richardson. Hopefully that will materialize, but right now fans are justified in questioning the pick and questioning Pead's readiness to be a part of our team's return to respectability. They envision the Donnie Averys and the Mardi Gilyards and the Adam Carrikers- high draft picks of the recent past, and the concern is legitimate.

I repeat- it's great to hit on the occasional sleeper, but your top picks have to come through for you. Pead wasn't selected with the thought of him being a "risk" because we had extra picks. The guy was thought of highly enough to be one of the top 75-80 players entering the NFL, so anything less than decent time as a rookie with an occasional moment or two is a disappointment, in my book. Hopefully, he starts seeing more time.

how does that have any relevance to Pead at all? He was not drafted by that regime and they all had years to fulfill their potential and they didn't do it.

Sometimes I wonder if some fans even pay attention to what goes on in the NFL. If so they wouldn't be calling a player a bust after 4 games. It takes 99% of the rookies in the league 2-3 years to get adjusted and become difference makers so why would anyone think Quick and Givens would immediate contributors?

Btw like others have said Blackmon has not looked that good either.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Hey! We're 2-2 with or without Pead. Quick and Givens are being used sparingly and I'm sure Pead will be given opportunities as well. Who are we to question how and when Fisher uses any of these rookies. Seems to me that Fisher has his finger on the pulse of our team.
    Rambos and MauiRam like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123