stlramman is offline Registered User

Isiah Robertson & the HOF

Fellow Rams fans. Why is this man not in the Hall Of Fame? Any fan can Nominate any player for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, so please consider sending a letter to the HOF nominating Mr.Robertson for an honor that IMO he is due. This guy was an amazing Linebacker,perhaps the greatest of his era.

Isiah Robertson
    Position: Outside Linebacker
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 225 lbs.
    1971-1978: Los Angeles Rams
    1979-1982: Buffalo Bills
    College: Southern University

Isiah Robertson was a great football player and was perhaps the NFL's most feared linebacker of the 70's. He revolutionized the position of outside linebacker in the 70's with his great speed and flair for making the big play. Isiah was a prototype linebacker. He combined size, strength, quickness, speed, toughness, and a knack for making the game-breaking play. Isiah was one of the NFL's fastest linebackers. He was clocked at 4.5 in the 40-yard dash. In college, Isiah returned an interception 103 yards for a game-winning touchdown against Grambling with only a few seconds to play. In 1970, his senior year at Southern University, he made 112 tackles and had 45 assists. Isiah was chosen to The Sporting News and TIME All-American team in 1970. He was a 1st round draft choice of the Los Angeles Rams in 1971 and was the 10th player selected in a very talented draft. Jack Youngblood was also drafted in the 1st round by the Rams. Like all rookies, Isiah learned he would have to make some adjustments when he came into the NFL. For 12 years, Isiah Robertson was an impact player and a force in the NFL. He was a legendary warrior and played to win. All runners and receivers knew there would be nothing happening on his side of the field. Quarterbacks learned not to throw passes in his territory. Isiah was a very physical and aggressive tackler and had perfect technique in the art of tackling. He was an outstanding run stopper and excellent cover linebacker in all passing situations. Isiah Robertson had great athletic ability and roamed the field to make tackles everywhere. His great speed and quickness gave him the license to freelance and make plays that other linebackers just simply couldn't make. Isiah was a member of one of the greatest defenses in NFL history. From 1973 to 1978, the Rams defense was awesome. In 1974 and 1975, the Los Angeles Rams defense was ranked #1 and was the best in the NFL. They gave up the fewest points both years. Isiah Robertson was one of the major reasons for the success of the Rams’ defense and would be one of the cornerstones for 8 years. He dominated opponents during his era and was one of the very best outside linebackers in Pro Football.

In 1971, Isiah's rookie year, he established himself as one of the NFL's new stars and was sensational. He had an outstanding season. The glory and accolades came his way. Isiah was voted Defensive Rookie of the Year. He was selected All-NFL and also chosen to the Pro Bowl. The Rams posted an 8-5-1 record and did not make the playoffs. In 1973, the good times and winning would begin for the Los Angeles Rams. Isiah had a banner year. It was one of the best seasons of his brilliant career. He intercepted 3 passes that season and returned one interception 49 yards for a touchdown against the New York Giants on Monday Night Football. It was the first touchdown of his career. Isiah Robertson was considered by many as the best linebacker in the NFL. The Rams finished with a great 12-2 record and won the Western division. In the playoffs, the Rams were defeated by the Dallas Cowboys 27-16. In 1974, Isiah had an excellent season. The Rams defense was the best in the NFL. The Los Angeles Rams posted a 10-4 record and won the Western division title again. In the playoffs, the Rams played the Washington Redskins. In the 4th quarter, with the Rams leading the Redskins only 13-10, Isiah intercepted quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's pass and ran 59 yards for a touchdown that sealed a 19-10 victory for the Rams. It was one of the most sensational open field runs ever seen in the history of the NFL. Isiah looked like a combination of Gale Sayers and O.J. Simpson on that incredible play. Not many running backs could have made a run like that. It was simply a brilliant, mind-boggling touchdown. The next week the Los Angeles Rams played the Minnesota Vikings in the 1974 NFC Championship game. The Rams lost 14-10 to the Vikings. They were 6 inches short of glory and the Super Bowl, thanks to a bad call made by an official, and a horrible pass thrown by quarterback James Harris that was intercepted in the end zone. The Rams went 99 yards on that drive. In 1975, Isiah had a monster year. He intercepted 4 passes for 118 yards and 1 touchdown. On Monday Night Football, against the Philadelphia Eagles, Isiah intercepted a pass and ran 76 yards for a touchdown showcasing his great speed. It was Isiah Robertson at his prime time best. The Rams trashed the Eagles 42-3. In 1975, the Rams had the best defense in the NFL. They ranked #1 in fewest points allowed with only 9.6 points per game. The Rams finished with a 12-2 record and won their division. In the playoffs, the Rams defeated the explosive St. Louis Cardinals 35-23. The Los Angeles Rams would face the Dallas Cowboys in the 1975 NFC Championship game. The Cowboys dominated the Rams and won 37-7. It was a horrible ending to an outstanding season by Isiah Robertson and the Los Angeles Rams.

Isiah Robertson had more great seasons for the Rams from 1976 to 1978. In 1976, his coaches said he may have had his best year. The flamboyant and free wheeling All-Pro linebacker made a big interception against the Dallas Cowboys in a tight 14-12 playoff victory. In 1978, his last year with the Rams, he was credited with 25 tackles, 4 sacks, and 2 fumble recoveries. Isiah returned a fumble 16 yards for a touchdown against the Minnesota Vikings in a Rams 34- 17 victory. He only started 6 of the 13 games he played in. After the season, the Rams traded Isiah to the Buffalo Bills. This was another big mistake made by the Rams management. Isiah would produce some great seasons in Buffalo. In 1979, in his first year as a member of the Bills, Isiah brought his 8 years experience and football savvy to the young Bills linebacking corps. He had an outstanding year. Isiah registered 96 tackles, I quarterback sack, recovered 2 fumbles, and had 2 interceptions. In a game against the Cincinnati Bengals, he intercepted a pass and ran 23 yards for a touchdown. It was the last touchdown of his illustrious career. In 1980, Isiah had 85 tackles. The Bills posted an 11-5 record and won the Eastern division. They lost 20-14 in the playoffs to the San Diego Chargers. In 1981, Isiah had 50 tackles and 31 assists a total of81 tackles. The Buffalo Bills posted a 10-6 record and were a wild card team in the playoffs. They defeated the New York Jets 31-27 in the playoffs and then lost to the Cincinnati Bengals in another playoff game. Isiah would play one more year and retired after the 1982 season. He left his legacy as one of the most talented and greatest linebackers in NFL history. Isiah was one of the NFL's most sensational performers.

Isiah Robertson is another great superstar that has been forgotten over the past 20 years. He was a defensive playmaker who consistently made the big plays game after game. Isiah dominated many games with his outstanding performances. He was one of the fastest linebackers in NFL history along with Fred Carr of the Packers, Bobby Bell of the Chiefs, and Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson and Chuck Howley of the Cowboys. Isiah was a member of one of the greatest defenses in NFL history. He played with star defensive linemen Jack Youngblood, Fred Dryer, Merlin Olsen, and Larry Brooks. Isiah was a part of a great linebacker trio that consisted of middle linebacker Jack Reynolds -who should be in the Hall of Fame- and outside linebackers Ken Geddes and Isiah Robertson. When Ken Geddes left the Rams after the 1975 season, he was replaced by Jim Youngblood. The secondary was comprised of Dave Elmendorf, Eddie McMillan, Bill Simpson, Monte Jackson, and a few other guys. The only reason this outstanding defense did not receive more recognition is because the Rams never won a Super Bowl They still rank as one of the NFL's best ever. Isiah was one of the NFL's biggest gate attractions in the 70's. He was a tremendous competitor with a flair for perfection and a passion for the game. Isiah was intelligent and could read and diagnose plays before and after they developed. He used his 4.5 quickness and speed to make the plays. Isiah was an excellent open field tackler and was an intimidating threat to all runners, quarterbacks, and receivers. They would all tell you that nothing was happening in Isiah Robertson's neighborhood- his area of the field. (Only headaches and negative yardage.) Isiah muscled with the big offensive linemen who tried to block him but they did not have very much success because Isiah was strong and just too quick for them. Isiah Robertson was one of the NFL's best ever linebackers because of his productivity and he deserves recognition for his great accomplishments. He was an NFL legend and game breaker from a bygone era. Isiah played smash mouth in your face football and was a warrior. He performed his job for 12 years and played outside linebacker as well as anyone who ever played the game. Isiah should be in the Hall of Fame. He played in 168 games in his career and missed only 3 games. Isiah was All-NFL 6 times from 1971,1973-1977, and was chosen for the Pro Bowl the same years. He wore #58 with the Los Angeles Rams and the Buffalo Bills.

Isiah Robertson's Career Statistics
    Interceptions
    25 interceptions Yards- 349
    Average per return- 14.0 Touchdowns- 3
    Scored 1 touchdown on fumble return
    Scored 4 total touchdowns

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Re: Isiah Robertson & the HOF

Thanks for the great read stlramman. Your post brought back memories of those teams. I was in So Cal at the time and remember reading the LA Times each day. The Times covered the Rams so well and thoroughly that it was a pleasure to read about my favorite team. Those teams were so loaded with great athletes and character guys, they made you proud to be a fan.

Thanks for naming the starters too. I know I sound like an old fart, but I wish the younger Clan could have experienced those teams. They were something to behold. For you younger guys, look up the info on the starters that SRM mentioned here. I think you'll find they were as good as advertised. I shudder to think what a Martz offense would have done for those teams when combined with Knox's defenses. I dare say there would have been more SB trophies in the hardware case. Go Rams!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Give me a moment while I wipe the tears of joy from my face......

Awesome post. I'm a huge Isiah fan....I think his personal issues are giving him some trouble but as a player he was a mad man.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Great post stlramman. I'm in the same age range as Chris58, so I recall those teams and years. It is amazing how we were the best defensive team in those years and now struggle. But the painful memory was how Dallas & Minnesota were able to destroy some great regular seasons in the playoffs.

Enjoyed it immensely. On to the draft where perhaps we will find some of the talented players we found back in the '70's!

Go Rams!:r

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

great post!

am 32 so too young to remember him personally but know of him and the rest of the other Rams greats thro being an avid fan of history and the Rams!

i love to watch great D and hope that one day our D will be great again!

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Give me a moment while I wipe the tears of joy from my face......

Awesome post. I'm a huge Isiah fan....I think his personal issues are giving him some trouble but as a player he was a mad man.
    You are probably right but they should also look at what he has done since then. He started The House Of Isiah a program to try and get young athletes to get and stay off drugs. Based on his performance on the field he deserves consideration for the Hall Of Fame IMHO.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

I remember. I was like 5 or 6 then (early 70's) and already a fan. 35 years .... wow. LOVED those teams. Always thought this guy was a monster. I think him not being in the Hall is a crock. Much like the Rock n Roll Hall Of Shame. What , no Alice Cooper yet we have the Ronettes? Jeez ..... :x

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
    I think him not being in the Hall is a crock. :x
    Agreed. Come on Rams fans,lets flood the HOF with letters and get him nominated!!

Here is the address for the Hall Of Fame.

Pro Football Hall of Fame
    2121 George Halas Drive NW
    Canton, Ohio 44708

And here is where it talks about the selection process and fans nominating players.

Hall of Famers: Selection Process - Pro Football Hall of Fame

The other finalists will be the survivors from a preliminary list of candidates that the Board will have screened by mail ballot. That original list will have been in part provided by the fans themselves.

A slight modification to the bylaws in August 2006 resulted in an increase to 17 finalists based on 15 modern-era candidates and two senior nominees being named. In the past, the finalists numbered 15 that included 13 modern-era candidates and the two senior nominees.

Any fan may nominate any qualified person who has been connected with pro football in any capacity simply by writing to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The only restriction is that a player and coach must have last played or coached at least five seasons before he can be considered. For example, a candidate for the 2008 class must have concluded his career not later than the 2002 season.

There is no mandatory retirement period for a contributor. Every nomination received will be processed and forwarded to the Board of Selectors.

Here also is a link to the original Isiah Robertson article.
    Isiah Robertson Article

LinkBacks (?)