RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Isn't this special? Johnson will continue on kick returns

Isn't this special? Johnson will continue on kick returns

BY JEFF GORDON
    STLtoday.com Sports
    09/12/2005
    Rams Niners
    Chris Johnson (37) runs into teammate Oshiomogho Atogwe and is tackled from behind by San Francisco's Terry Jackson during a kickoff return.
    (Chris Lee/P-D)

Rams coach Mike Martz believes cornerback Chris Johnson has the speed and toughness to become a good kickoff returner.

So he intends to leave him in that role, despite the game-opening gaffe that pinned the Rams at their own 1-yard line. Johnson caught the kick along the left sideline, then stepped out of bounds.

“What we told these guys is you need to get your shoulders square to make that judgement,” Martz said. “If you can’t get over on that ball and square up to it, you let the ball go. He never got square up to it so he could make that kind of judgement. You need to let that ball go. Just an error in judgement.”

Johnson got the assignment instead of Aveion Cason because Martz had him dressed as the fourth cornerback. Cason was inactive as the fourth running back.

“It also goes with not who necessarily has got the experience, but who is going to be up (active),” Martz said. “Do you have Aveion just up to return kicks? We knew C.J. would be up to play defense. That’s why we made that decision.”

After the rocky start, Johnson showed his coach enough to keep the job.

“He’ll get better,” Martz said. “He did a better job as time went on in that game. I think he can be a good player in terms of a returner for us. He certainly has that Tony Horne-type of speed, that long-range speed that is very effective. He certainly has the courage to hit it up in there pretty good, as you saw.

“His speed in terms of the return game will allow him to hit it a little bit faster even than Aveion. He’s a bigger player.”

“We need to help to him. We’ll grow with this thing. This isn’t an indictment of what kind of player he is. We’ll stay with him and get him better.”

As for the ill-fated replay challenge one second into the game, Martz was hoping that the replay would show that Johnson was already out of bounds when he fielded the ball at the Rams 1. Johnson made a rather theatrical case for that call at the time.

Had he already been standing on the sideline, then the kick would have been considered out of bounds, too, and the Rams would have gotten the ball in prime field position.

But the replay clearly showed Johnson catching the ball, then stepping out of bounds, then freezing there while pointing at his foot. The failed challenge cost the Rams a timeout.

RamsFan16

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Isn't this special? Johnson will continue on kick returns

What about Terry Fair?

Notta clue. I think Johnson deserves 1 more chance
    RamsFan16

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Ya I say give him another chance also but I want Fair to get a chance.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Well you would figure that the kid would get another chance. He was back there on the next kick return during the game.

Personally I would have made him sit on the bench for the rest of the game and then drilled him in practice before I announced that he would be getting another chance.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I really think Fair will be the return man once he gets healthy. Until then it'll be Johnson.

My question is, why is Cason on the roster when we can add a ST guy like Stone or perhaps a starting FS?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Cason should have been active for the game and the guy returning kicks. Special Teams are too critical to baby someone along, especially once the season begins. You work all off season getting Cason ready to be the guy, then "experiment" with a guy who's never played before?? The results speak for themselves.

Yea. We should have got Lance S. Evidently he did good for Miami
    RamsFan16

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Yes i agree Johnson does need more than 1 chance! He was anxious to make a play on the first kickoff! After all he is really just a rookie!