Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: It's Fair to Place Steve Spagnuolo on the Hot Seat

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

It's Fair to Place Steve Spagnuolo on the Hot Seat

by Cliff Saunders

Following the 37-7 loss by the Rams to the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday at the Edwards Jones Dome, many Rams fans are demanding answers. They are frustrated to the point that they are starting to question general manager Billy Devaney and head coach Steve Spagnuolo. Some have already made it clear they want heads to roll.
    Now, while I do not subscribe to that point of view, I do think it is fair that we turn the pressure up. There are those that say you cannot do that, because this is only his third season as head coach. That's totally untrue. First of all, Scott Linehan (remember him?) was fired four games into his third season as head coach of the Rams. I'm not saying that's what should happen to Spagnuolo - let's be clear about that. I am saying that there is historical precedent to turn up the heat.
    I decided to take a look at the other head coaches that started their jobs in the 2009 season, the same year Spagnuolo took over at Rams Park. I wanted to see how his peers have fared. I think you'll be surprised at the results.
    Todd Haley, Kansas City Chiefs: Haley has one playoff season under his belt, but things are not going well in Kansas City right now. The Chiefs are winless, and Haley is firmly on the hot seat. Unless Kansas City turns things around, he will not survive.
    Tom Cable, Oakland Raiders: Although he seemed to have the Raiders going on the right track after two full seasons, Al Davis let him go and replaced him with Hue Jackson. Cable landed as an assistant on Pete Carroll's staff in Seattle.
    Rex Ryan, New York Jets: All Ryan has done is lead the Jets to a pair of AFC Championship Game appearances in his two years in New York. He makes bold predictions and his mouth gets him in trouble, but he gets results.
    Mike Singletary, San Francisco *****: Singletary had the ***** seemingly going in the right direction after the 2009 season. But the good times didn't last. He was let go late last season.
    Raheem Morris, Tampa Bay Bucs: What was a rocky start (3-13 in 2009 along with the firing of his offensive coordinator before the season started) has turned into smooth sailing. The Bucs were 10-6 last season, just missed the playoffs and beat Atlanta this past Sunday to improve to 2-1.
    Jim Schwartz, Detroit Lions: Schwartz took over a team that went 0-16 in 2008. He now has them at 3-0 on the season thanks to a come from behind win over the Vikings this past Sunday. He's doing just fine, thank you very much.
    Eric Mangini, Cleveland Browns: Mangini had things going the right way at the end of last season, but Mike Holmgren wasn't the guy that hired him, and he decided to bring in his own guy (Pat Shurmur).
    Josh McDaniels, Denver Broncos: McDaniels was fired in the middle of last season and is now the offensive coordinator for the Rams.
    Jim Caldwell, Indianapolis Colts: Even though Caldwell has playoff appearances and a Super Bowl on his resume, he is on the hot seat because of the Peyton Manning situation. The Colts are winless and seem to be on their way to a lost season without Manning.
    Jim Mora, Seattle Seahawks: Mora was fired after one season in Seattle and a 5-11 record.
    Not including Spagnuolo, 10 coaches started their first full season as a head coach in the NFL in 2009. Five of them have been let go. Another two are either on or are close to being on the hot seat. The remaining three are on solid ground.
    So let's ask the question. Is it fair to put Spagnuolo on the hot seat? After what we have seen in the first three games, with many of the mistakes connected to coaching, and taking history into consideration, the answer is clear.
    It is fair to place Steve Spagnuolo on the hot seat. Again, it's too early for anyone to call for his head just yet. But it isn't too early to hold him accountable for what is going on with this football team.
    RAMMAN68 likes this.

Re: It's Fair to Place Steve Spagnuolo on the Hot Seat

Yikes the track records of coaches hired in 2009 doesn't speak well for Steve but if anyone I have faith in it's Spags!

DeaconJ is offline Registered User

If Kronke isn't sharpening the guillotine, he's looking for a whetstone.
    ManofGod and ZiaRam like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

This is an important year for Spagnuolo. The days of automatically giving coaches 5 years to turn things around are over. Fans want a quicker payoff, and past teams have proven that although it isn't easy, it can be done.

Regressing from the previous year is one way to get yourself axed. And at the end of the day, no one is going to care about your strength of schedule, injuries or other excuses legitimate or not.The way we play from here on out in terms of discipline, perserverance in the face of adversity and level of improvement will determine his fate. I think the Rams did way too much in the off season to settle for a 4-12 or 5-11 campaign, and fans have rightly had enough of the losing year after year.
    Nick, cfh128 and ZiaRam like this.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Is it fair to put Spagnuolo on the hot seat?

Any coach that puts up loss after loss after loss will eventually find himself on the hot seat. Maybe Spags' seat isn't hot just yet, but its definitely starting to heat up. BillyD's too.
    ZiaRam likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Its been one hell of a wakeup call Id say to Spags, no one has questioned DeSpags since he arrived as coach.? This is his first big crisis since becoming coach, we will see if his cadence for character over talent, will get him out of this hole. I honestly feel like if he doesnt reach the goals expected by Kroenke, he will be a goner.?
    Im not sure what to think of Kroenke yet, but I get the feeling he doesnt mess about.?
    ZiaRam likes this.

supachump is offline Registered User

Yes, put him on the hot seat. What's so wrong about that? Maybe it will motivate him to get things going.

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Im not sure what to think of Kroenke yet, but I get the feeling he doesnt mess about.?
    For some reason I don't think Kroenke is overly meedling but it seems he doesn't like to live with failures.!

macrammer is online now Registered User

Yikes the track records of coaches hired in 2009 doesn't speak well for Steve but if anyone I have faith in it's Spags!
    Zia, can I ask why? He has no track record of being an HC in the NFL excpept with Rams and rght now it looks like he is totally lost. Is it blind faith or is there some substance here you can be kind enough to share?

FYI, I do not think it is too late this year BUT a few more demonstrations of less then fundamental football prowess ( A Spag self proclaimed focal points) would lead me to believe he will be gone after 3 years. But, I digress......please share if you can.
    ZiaRam likes this.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Yes Spags guys are playing undisciplined and seem to be making the same mistakes over and over again. The raven’s game was so bad you have to wonder. Kronke did not bring and these guys so he may not be loyal to the bitter end.
    :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Zia, can I ask why? He has no track record of being an HC in the NFL excpept with Rams and rght now it looks like he is totally lost. Is it blind faith or is there some substance here you can be kind enough to share?

FYI, I do not think it is too late this year BUT a few more demonstrations of less then fundamental football prowess ( A Spag self proclaimed focal points) would lead me to believe he will be gone after 3 years. But, I digress......please share if you can.
    Honestly all it is is a gut feeling man! Just as a person you don't find to many people like Spags and I think it carries over into his work and everything he does in life like Dick Vermeil. I won't sit here and tell anyone I have don't have a little worry here for us and how we have played this yearbut I think by seasons end we will be heading in the right direction.

On a side note we havn't had our star running abck for basically 3 games that is a "game changer" and our top two CB's lost for the season and we get beat like nobody's business on the edges... I Don't care what anybody says but that has been a mager factor this season... yes if's, could of's, would of's..but those are facts...

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Honestly all it is is a gut feeling man! Just as a person you don't find to many people like Spags and I think it carries over into his work and everything he does in life like Dick Vermeil. I won't sit here and tell anyone I have don't have a little worry here for us and how we have played this yearbut I think by seasons end we will be heading in the right direction.

On a side note we havn't had our star running abck for basically 3 games that is a "game changer" and our top two CB's lost for the season and we get beat like nobody's business on the edges... I Don't care what anybody says but that has been a mager factor this season... yes if's, could of's, would of's..but those are facts...
    I agree with everything you said except " and our top two CB's lost for the season "....Fletcher is better than Murphy no questions asked.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I agree with everything you said except " and our top two CB's lost for the season "....Fletcher is better than Murphy no questions asked.
    Ya but the point I was trying to make is Murphy is NO KING!!! lol
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Ok, thanks for being honest. I understand where you are coming from. Hope springs eternal.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Ok, thanks for being honest. I understand where you are coming from. Hope springs eternal.
    Honest is all I can be brother! I wish I could lie and say we destroyed everyone and everything is hunky doory but I guess our Rams is like how life really is. Just when you think you got some areas in your life hammered out some previous areas you didn't have any problems in come rearing their ugly head about! A never ending battle.... *sigh*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast