Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: It's the first day of training camp....

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm not sure what makes it so unlikely.
    I consider it unlikely because I don't think repeated attempts by the Rams to begin negotiations with their first overall pick would go unreported, and we have no reports of such events. From the information we have, nothing happened until early July, at which point it was reported that negotiations would get underway in the middle of the month.

I don't think anyone is suggesting this is the end of the world, but given the time they had at their disposal and the desire to get him in on time, certainly they've left themselves open to criticism for a contract not being finalized by the training camp deadline, barring some kind of forthcoming report that absolves them of any blame.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here, there was no urgency on either side in, say... June, to get a deal done. That - and not some neglect of duties - is the reason the deal did not get done sooner.
    The problem isn't that it didn't get done sooner, but rather that it's not done now, and that is what's prompting people to consider how much time they've actually had to get the deal done.

No one would be saying anything if they started in mid-July and still got the deal done. But the deal isn't in place, and the start of training camp should have created the urgency that you rightfully pointed out wasn't present in June. And if you believe the Jim Thomas story, there wasn't any real urgency last night because there weren't any talks between the two parties.

As I said earlier, if I were a betting man, I'd bet his contract is in place in time for him to participate in the full-team Saturday practices. Missing a day or two of practice really is not a huge issue, but IMO, it's one that probably could have been avoided.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I consider it unlikely because I don't think repeated attempts by the Rams to begin negotiations with their first overall pick would go unreported
    Nick, my friend, I believe the proximity of the St. Louis media to the pulse of the Rams is a little more distanced than you have estimated.

Demoff: Hey Tom, this is Kevin. Memorial Day is coming up; let's get this Bradford deal done.
    Condon: Sorry Kev; can't now. I'll call you in July.

I just don't see that making its way to the press.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick, my friend, I believe the proximity of the St. Louis media to the pulse of the Rams is a little more distanced than you have estimated.
    Yet they were in the loop enough to report when negotiations were going to get underway and, if you believe the Jim Thomas report, knew about the status of negotiations last night.

Obviously they don't have anyone's phone bugged, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think they'd pick up on something if one side had attempted to start negotiations on the contract only to be turned down.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Again, I don't think it's the end of the world and I'm not readying my pitchfork, but I'm just not prepared to give the Rams a complete pass on Bradford not being there until something new is reported that indicates they deserve to be absolved.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Demoff: Hey Tom, this is Kevin. Memorial Day is coming up; let's get this Bradford deal done.
    Condon: Sorry Kev; can't now. I'll call you in July.

I just don't see that making its way to the press.
    Or, perhaps...

Condon: We want the Earth, the Sun, and the Moon.
    Demoff: We can offer the Earth and Sun, but not the Moon.
    Condon: Oh... I've got another call. We'll talk again in a few weeks.

Yet they were in the loop enough to report when negotiations were going to get underway and, if you believe the Jim Thomas report, knew about the status of negotiations last night.
    I would think so. Kind of a spotlight on it this time of the year.
    Obviously they don't have anyone's phone bugged, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think they'd pick up on something if one side had attempted to start negotiations on the contract only to be turned down.
    At what is that "something"? Unless Kevin Demoff or Tom Condon leaked it, how would the media know? And of those two parties how/who would benefit to make that leak?
    I don't think it's the end of the world and I'm not readying my pitchfork, but I'm just not prepared to give the Rams a complete pass on Bradford not being there until something new is reported that indicates they deserve to be absolved.
    while I'm more of an "innocent til proven guilty" kind of guy, I'm no more inclined to hand them a get outta jail free card as you are to pick up the pitch fork. I'm just saying there's nothing to indicate that Kevin Demoff was off staring at the clouds for the past 4 months and only thought to start negotiations this week.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
    Neither the first time nor last time, my mountaineer amigo.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I would surmise that neither side is at fault for the delay. The CBA/lockout is a pretty serious reason for neither The Rams nor Bradford to make a push for a quick post-draft deal,no? And the chance of a pre-draft trade was worth trying for,imo. Just unfortunate that the situation worked against a windfall.

Now it sounds like The Rams are waiting to see if Sam & his agent will blink. No doubt in my mind that if Demoff was on display at the first training session as has been reported, it was a deliberate ploy. And Spags has played his part by making clear that Feeley is the incumbent. I think it's a psychologically sophisticated strategy. Sam, who is nothing if not the eager beaver, is now in the hotseat. I think the Rams are betting that he may feel more compelled to compromise than The Rams.Nobody wants Feeley to start over Sam less than Sam himself(although I'm sure there are a few million of us who are tied for second...lol..) Let's hope these guys are as good at judging character as their emphasis on it requires.

I think it's the same as the OJ deal. The Rams knew that it was about respect as much as money & went to great & risky lengths to , essentially, let OJ save face, and yet managed to cut his salary by a huge margin and link his future with the team directly to future performance. It even gave them breathing room to see how the labor situation has played out by next spring. Pretty well-played hand to me.

Sam is the last of the gazillionaire first pick mohicans in all probability. Anybody who has read the original version knows that plot was complicated & took its time to unravel but was well worth it in the end.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -07-29-2010 at 07:05 PM.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

The nfl network reports the rams have stated they want a deal done by tomarrow. That is all they are concerned with. With them actually wanting it done by then I believe he will sign on the dotted line tomarrow. There should be no reason he is not signed by monday at the latest.

I'm just saying there's nothing to indicate that Kevin Demoff was off staring at the clouds for the past 4 months and only thought to start negotiations this week.
    Just like there's nothing to indicate that Demoff tried to start negotiations earlier only to be turned down by Condon, but you seemed willing to consider that as a possibility.

My only point is that, by not getting the contract done in time for the start of camp, the Rams have left themselves open to criticism. As Av said, maybe there wasn't a sense of urgency for either side in May or June, but there should have been this month to get him here and maximize his practice time.

For whatever reason, that didn't get done, and I doubt that's just because of one side. It's not as if we're talking about the Postons here. As you said, it takes two to tango, and until Bradford gets signed, this is the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Just like there's nothing to indicate that Demoff tried to start negotiations earlier only to be turned down by Condon, but you seemed willing to consider that as a possibility.
    Exactly!

You know how some fans (not you) will rush to judgement with very little, if any, information. I would just hate to see Demoff thrown under the bus by fans with us having zero to indicate that he needs to be thrown under the bus. Maybe he could have done more to get Bradford in by Wednesday, maybe he couldn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12