Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

It's a great day to be a Ram's fan ...

And I can say this despite having the flu for the first time in my 28 years of life! To those of you who have had it once, or multiple times, or get it on a regular basis, may God bless your heart! I will never in my life be able to understand how someone can have a 103 degree fever, yet shiver uncontrollably under three blankets. Yikes!!!!

Anyway, it is a GREAT day to be a Ram's fan. 2007 was such a disaster, I think it was hard for any of us to retain much hope as the season came to an end. Even going into the offseason, it was difficult to see where we were going to make changes that could turn us into a contender again. Yes, we know that we have alot of talent on this team, aging talent on the offensive side and young talent on the defensive side. But how could anyone be sure how we would have performed in 2007 had we not had the worse run of injuries possibly in the history of the NFL? I would like to believe we would have been significantly better but how do you tell?

I wasn't as excited as I have been in year's past as the offseason began for a couple of reasons. First, I had lost faith in Linehan. As the season progressed, I was just unable to continue to support this guy. He did look lost, and as veteran after veteran began to show displeasure, not even I, the enternal optimist that I am, could stay positive about this guy. Then the season ends, and we have the #2 draft pick, but there really just isn't that ONE GUY out there to get excited about that can help this team. The #1 OT is just a VERY GOOD tackle, and the DE's and DT's that are available are of the same class. Are there any real gamebreakers on the board this year? It seemed like a long, long wait to see what we did in free agency and the draft, coupled with the possibility of another FOSL being brought in to run this team's once unstoppable, yet now broken, offense ...

Then, the unthinkable happens ...

The Ram's sign Al Saunders as Offensive Coordinator! The Air Coryell, West Coast, Mike Martz style offensive running Al Saunders with nearly 1000 plays in his playbook! The Al Saunders that will attack every level of opposing defenses while continuing to pound the ball down their throat, Al Saunders! The Al Saunders who brought a deriviation of the GSOT to Kansas City after Vermeil left us, Al Saunders!

How can you not be excited about that?

But further, how do we now view Scott Linehan?

Linehan has a great football mind from what I understand. Those who are able to talk to him personally say he is an intelligent guy. He seemed to be moving in the right direction in 2006, only to crumble in 2007. Should we have been shocked? Not at all....

Linehan came into a job, into a city, with expectations that were way over his head. We had just fired a very successful head coach who was fielding a very exciting type of football. So Linehan came into a situation where his back was against the wall. He brought in his friends to help him coach, because a high level of comfort would be required to battle the daily stresses that would come along with the expectations. However, this backfired on Linehan as his friends weren't up to par to task, no more than Linehan was at the time. With that said, Linehan failed in his first two years ....

What was the main problem with Linehan? His failure to adjust right?

Well, adjust he has. He apparently has adjusted his philosophy. He's adjusted his coaching staff. And he's adjusted his attitude. Look at his recent interview when announcing that Saunders was coming aboard. There was a renewed spirit in Linehan, a renewed spirit that will likely carry throughout the entire team. Linehan has acknowledged his faults, he has acknowledged he has failed, and know he has brought in a big time OC that might be able to help carry this team back to the promise land ....

Say what you want, but admitting you are wrong when you make $2M a year takes a big set, because ultimately, you don't even HAVE to admit this ...

Linehan admitted to losing the players, even thought the players never admitted the same. This tells me that the players WANT to believe in this guy. While many look at Linehan as dry and uninspiring, why would the players just not throw him under the bus if they wanted rid of him. This guy must have some redeeming qualities ...

So, what do we do now? Do we give Linehan another chance? Should we assume he will fail? Should we hope he fails?

I say the latter, because I don't want this guy to fail. I don't want ANYONE to fail, well, except for the PATRIOTS! I hope Linehan takes this new opportunity and grabs it by the horn. I hope his new found humility allows him to learn from the experience around him and helps him develop into a good or even great head coach in the future. I hope five years from now we can all be talking about how far Linehan has come as we think back on another Super Bowl victory and numerous playoff appearances. I hope the mainstays like Holt and Bruce and Bulger and Pace get to go out riding a high-powered rocket instead of a broken-down mule ...

It is a great day to a Ram's fan, no doubt!

Looking forward to sharing this with all of you ...

P.S. Sorry if this is incoherent. I am a little out of it. Doctor gave me Codeine ... hehehe!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: It's a great day to be a Ram's fan ...

we have the #2 draft pick, but there really just isn't that ONE GUY out there to get excited about that can help this team. The #1 OT is just a VERY GOOD tackle, and the DE's and DT's that are available are of the same class.
    While I agree with your theme (it's ALWAYS a great day to be a Rams fan), I disagree with this statement. Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, maybe even V. Gholston (though I'm still not completely sold) all would make an immediate impact on this team.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    While I agree with your theme (it's ALWAYS a great day to be a Rams fan), I disagree with this statement. Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, maybe even V. Gholston (though I'm still not completely sold) all would make an immediate impact on this team.
    Impact yes, but is there any standout player in this draft, any game changing players?

moloch41 Guest

Let's all praise the utter stupidity of Daniel Synder!!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Actually there is.....Darren McFadden. He's one of those backs that is going to be very special in the NFL.

Mooselini Guest

I've been hoping for a good season since about midway last season. And all I can say is with Saunders, we may have that good season.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Impact yes, but is there any standout player in this draft, any game changing players?
    In January, they're all standout players........AND none of them are standout players.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

Darren Mcfadden Will Be Another Reggie Bush. Over Rated In The Next Level

Quote Originally Posted by rams 24/7 View Post
    Darren Mcfadden Will Be Another Reggie Bush. Over Rated In The Next Level
    Reggie Bush? Or Adrian Peterson?

blood85 Guest

It will be a greater day when we win our 2nd Lombardi Trophy.

realramsfan Guest

Mcfadden may end up being an impact player ( i don't think so) but no matter what he isn't worth the cowboys getting rid of marian barber and two first round picks, and he definitely isn't worth the Rams wasting their pick for him.

Confused how my lengthy post about Linehan and it being great to be a Ram's fan got hijacked into a draft thread?

The mention of the draft in my post was OH SO INSIGNIFICANT to the overall message, can we please discuss the TOPIC?

PHAT-MONEY Guest

yeah guys.. come on now... It is a good time to be a fan of the rams.. it's only a matter of time untill we will be refered to as the "MIGHTY" Rams Again.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I think we hear what your saying RamsInfiniti, it's about time we got a reason to hope again.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Confused how my lengthy post about Linehan and it being great to be a Ram's fan got hijacked into a draft thread?

The mention of the draft in my post was OH SO INSIGNIFICANT to the overall message, can we please discuss the TOPIC?

It happens R I when the topic is usually general like this one. Hey, I'm always happy to be a Rams fan, just some years I'm more happy.

:arisux:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-31-2008, 10:48 PM
  2. -01-31-2008, 06:38 PM